• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:07 am Reply with quote
Doing a little rant, though relevant for this topic at the very least.

Over the past couple weeks, I was not receiving any confirmation from Crunchyroll on the status of a large pre-order I made of Discotek titles coming out in December. After not receiving any notification on my order being shipped, I asked them if I could cancel it as things have dragged out long enough with me waiting. The customer service rep notified me that they were trying to charge my credit card several times to no avail and would cancel the order. However, I noticed a couple issues:

1. Not sure how, but their order system had broken up my order into separate shipments with 1 and 3 items despite none of them having shipped. In addition, it appears glitched as I'm getting garbage drop-down rows for additional items that won't open because there is nothing else within the order to separate. They just cancelled the shipment with the 1 item in it, while the remaining 3 items are still open with the order and I'm still attempting to have this order fully closed out.

2. Their order system was also glitched in that it assumed the credit card I used for making this pre-order was a Visa when it's actually a Discover. In the past with Rightstuf, I would have used Paypal Credit if I made any large costly orders so I could pay for them over time. But since Crunchyroll won't take Paypal payments with pre-orders, I had to wind up resorting to using my Discover card for this. At the same time, I have several smaller pre-orders I made using my debit card, which is a Visa. It looks like the debit card is being charged okay without issue since my pre-order of the Quintessential Quintuplets movie was shipped out last week and I received it just today. The glitch with my credit card is likely gonna be a problem with another pre-order I made on the card for the Abandoned Sacred Beasts set.

In essence, looks like Crunchyroll has some issues they need to sort out with their order system and is giving me some headaches right now. Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to hear that, Ggultra2764. Buying anime should be a fun, painless experience and sucks when it isn't, thanks to stupid glitches. As a Canadian, it doesn't look like I'll be using the Crunchy store any time soon. TRSI used to offer Canadians free shipping for orders over $250 (and believe me, for a buyer like myself, it was always super easy to hit that target) but the CR store doesn't. I just checked recently on buying a single manga volume through them... it would have cost me $19.99 to ship it. Laughing

So between the exchange rate and shipping costs I don't see that it will ever make sense for me to buy from the CR Store. And then add on top of that Ggultra2764's recent experience with them and I'm not exactly crying in my beer over that fact.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Sorry to hear that, Ggultra2764. Buying anime should be a fun, painless experience and sucks when it isn't, thanks to stupid glitches. As a Canadian, it doesn't look like I'll be using the Crunchy store any time soon. TRSI used to offer Canadians free shipping for orders over $250 (and believe me, for a buyer like myself, it was always super easy to hit that target) but the CR store doesn't. I just checked recently on buying a single manga volume through them... it would have cost me $19.99 to ship it. Laughing

So between the exchange rate and shipping costs I don't see that it will ever make sense for me to buy from the CR Store. And then add on top of that Ggultra2764's recent experience with them and I'm not exactly crying in my beer over that fact.

I'm likely going to dabble into other online stores for anime pre-orders at this point. I'm guessing whatever pre-orders I chose to charge to my debit card over the next couple months should ship out fine without issue. Just my Discotek stuff and Sacred Beasts I'm going to need to sort out with CR's Customer Service since their order system's messy with how they processed my payment info on both orders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Guess I'll be testing the waters with Robert's Anime Corner Store. Ordered all the anime from Discotek's December release slate I was wanting to get from Crunchyroll before dealing with my current issues with them with Layzner, Lupin III: Seven Days Rhapsody, Lady Georgie, and Overman King Gainer. A little more I have to spend compared to the CR pre-order I made, but I'll take it over dealing with CR's glitchy order system and having to pay full retail price for these over Amazon.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Just bought Reincarnated as a Sword via E-Bay.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Last night was a pretty big night for me as I transacted two different deals: one an all-manga affair and the second all-anime. I'll get to the all-anime one later. In terms of the all-manga, I bought the first 22 hard cover JoJo's Bizarre Adventure volumes for $260 CAD. That's roughly $11.82 per volume and the volumes are absolutely pristine.

I had to haul the biggest suitcase I own on public transit (since I don't own a car) but it was totes worth it. Love the JBA franchise!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I'm likely going to dabble into other online stores for anime pre-orders at this point. I'm guessing whatever pre-orders I chose to charge to my debit card over the next couple months should ship out fine without issue. Just my Discotek stuff and Sacred Beasts I'm going to need to sort out with CR's Customer Service since their order system's messy with how they processed my payment info on both orders.

Hmmm, one of the worst ordering experiences I've had in the past few years was with Funimation. Wonder if the consolidation somehow kept the worst of the systems.
I have yet needed to order anything from CR since the dissolution of TRSI. Just holding back- too big of a backlog.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Hmmm, one of the worst ordering experiences I've had in the past few years was with Funimation. Wonder if the consolidation somehow kept the worst of the systems.
I have yet needed to order anything from CR since the dissolution of TRSI. Just holding back- too big of a backlog.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I finally feel ready to start sharing some details of a pretty amazing anime haul that I've scored over the course of the last number of weeks. Here's the topline: I found a seller who somehow has access to a wide range of anime sets that are still in their original shrink wrap but obviously are not from a store (they have no price tags on them). How he gets this access, I have no idea and I haven't exactly been peppering him with questions on that score. Gift horses and not looking in mouths, sort of thing.

This all started back in December when, in a purchase I recorded in this thread, I bought limited edition versions of Belle and Violet Evergarden the Movie off of him for $70 total. That was an okay price but nothing to write home about.

Anyway, in the course of paying for those, we got chatting. I was already aware that he was selling other sets, virtually all of them limited editions. I was interested in some like, Jujutsu Kaisen Part 1 LE and Golden Wind Part 2 LE but again his asking prices weren't amazing so I didn't even inquire about them. But he brings them up and then says something I misunderstand: I thought he was offering the above two titles for $40 TOTAL which of course would have been an absolutely amazing deal. Turns out he was offering them at $40 EACH which was a decent price for LE sets, but not amazing.

But because of this initial misunderstanding, somehow we ended up coming to an agreement on a number of titles. To wit:

Attack on Titan Final Season Part 2 LE - $98
Overlord IV LE - $95
Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure Golden Wind LE Part 2 - $65
Cannon Busters Complete Series LE - $80
Jujutsu Kaisen Season 1 Part 1 LE - $107
Sailor Moon Crystal Set 1 LE - $100
Yashahime Princess Half Demon S1 Part 1 LE - $75
Yashahime Princess Half Demon S1 Part 2 LE - $75
Yashahime Princess Half Demon S2 Part 1 LE - $75
Sailor Moon R (S2) Part 1 LE combo pack - $60
Sailor Moon Super S (S4) Part 1 LE combo pack -$55

The prices you see there are the CHEAPEST prices I could glean for those sets if I bought them off of Amazon or ebay. They come to a total of $885. The amount I gave him for them?

$200.

Yeah, just a little bit of savings... Oh, but that's not all. Completely unasked for and unexpected, he threw in a number of FREE sets that I can either keep for my collection (some I will) or sell. As I say, anything I've ever gotten from him is in its original shrink wrap. At $200, that comes out to $18.18 per set... for LEs!

Here's the free stuff:

Combatants Will be Dispatched Complete Season LE - $85
My Senpai is Annoying! LE - $100
Black Clover S2, Parts 3 & 5 (Part 3 includes a sweet artbox to hold all 5 parts) - $68/$45
The Rising of Shield Hero S2 LE - $95
Tokyo Ghoul: re Part 2 LE - $85

Bizarrely random titles, but hey - FREE! Again, I checked out how much it would have cost me to get them off of Amazon or ebay and that is a $478 value... for free.

Originally, I never had any intention of collecting Black Clover (I saw it on CR and never felt the need to own it), The Rising of the Shield Hero (watched the first few episodes of season 1 and dropped it) or Tokyo Ghoul (watched season 1 & 2 but didn't get through Tokyo Ghoul:re). For that matter, I had no intention of collecting Overlord... I've seen all 4 seasons but didn't need to own... until I was offered the Overlord IV LE for an excellent price.

I'm a sucker for LEs... I may sell Combatants (which I dropped as a stream) and My Senpai is Annoying! (watched the entire season but don't really need to own) but I may also hang on to them. Not sure yet.

Anyway, that was Transaction #2 (#1 being the Belle and Evergarden movies). Details of Transaction #3 and #4 to follow later.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:17 am Reply with quote
Blood- Wrote:
Quote:
How he gets this access, I have no idea and I haven't exactly been peppering him with questions on that score. Gift horses and not looking in mouths, sort of thing.

They probably just "fell off of a truck". He was just there to catch them.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:51 am Reply with quote
Laughing

Believe me, I thought the same thing, but I don't think so. In our first two transactions, it seems the sets he bought/gave me were ones he actually had possession of. After that, however, the way it worked was I would give him the titles of shows I wanted and he would check with... somebody... and then that somebody would provide him with whatever titles on the list they could. The mysterious source had a reasonably good track record of getting titles I wanted, but not close to 100%, of course.

I'm sure the original sets I listed above came from this same source, it's just that the seller actually had them in his possession from the start, unlike the titles from transaction #3 & 4.

The vast majority of sets have been Crunchyroll/Funimation releases with a few Viz titles thrown in. Nothing from Aniplex or Sentai, I don't think.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:41 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

When I heard news about Rightstuf being absorbed into Crunchyroll, I was having my initial reservations on how they would handle orders since I had an issue with them early last year for a pre-order I made off them that led me to get them to cancel the order. I had no snags with a Rightstuf pre-order they shipped out for me from before the absorption, so decided to test the waters with them with upcoming pre-orders. But upon seeing how messy their order system was with handling my Discotek pre-orders from last month and the slow response time of their customer service in response to any issues I have, I now realize I should have followed my initial reactions and not have bothered with them.

As of right now, I'm still trying to get them to cancel any pre-orders I made on my credit card as those still remain open. Anything I charged to my debit card with them for pre-orders going into March, I'll still allow to go through unless any issues come up. Beyond that point, I'm looking into other online stores for pre-ordering.

The Discotek titles I wanted from their December slate, I ordered from Robert's Anime Corner Store on my credit card. Unlike Crunchyroll's order system, RACS was able to charge my card for the order and they shipped it out earlier this week. All I want accomplished instead of dealing with a buggy order system and slow customer service. I may wind up falling back on them or Amazon with most of my pre-orders moving forward. Anything from Sentai Filmworks, I've been doing from their online store and haven't had any issues with transactions with them.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:54 pm Reply with quote
The nice thing about dealing with RACS is that if you have a problem, the person who will respond is Robert himself.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Just pre-ordered Season 1 of Dangers in my Heart via the Sentai Filmworks store.

Quote:
The nice thing about dealing with RACS is that if you have a problem, the person who will respond is Robert himself.

I heard rumblings about RACS on and off through the 2010s. Just never dabbled too heavily into them until recently since Rightstuf had been largely my go-to online store as far as anime purchases go.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Just bought My Senpai is Annoying via E-Bay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1396 of 1401