• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:01 pm Reply with quote
After acquiring the Season 2 Blu-Rays from Media-Blasters in a giveaway, I picked up the old Bandai DVDs (2004 Complete Collection re-release) for season 1 of Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl via Amazon.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Just bought the second part of Mushoku Tensei Season 1 via E-Bay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Won an E-Bay auction for all four DVD volumes of Nazca. Vaguely knew of the series between it being one of Pioneer's older DVD releases and the brief footage of it seen on Malcolm in the Middle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, what did you pay? I bought the four volumes years ago, second hand. Can't remember what I paid but I think it was pretty cheap. I just started watching the show a few months back. Haven't finished yet.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Nazca is one of those anime programs that was everywhere in the anime related publications when it came out here. Lots of reviews and lots of ads. Then it just disappeared. No comments on line no "remember Nazca" nothing. It makes you realize that shows from the same time that are still talked about has something ...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I can't say it's blowing me away, that's for sure. I do kind of dig the Aztec reincarnation premise, though.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Out of curiosity, what did you pay? I bought the four volumes years ago, second hand. Can't remember what I paid but I think it was pretty cheap. I just started watching the show a few months back. Haven't finished yet.

Counting shipping and tax, $46. Figured try on the auction as it looked like a couple of the volumes were getting gouged with their pricing when I considered getting the volumes separately.

Alan45 wrote:
Nazca is one of those anime programs that was everywhere in the anime related publications when it came out here. Lots of reviews and lots of ads. Then it just disappeared. No comments on line no "remember Nazca" nothing. It makes you realize that shows from the same time that are still talked about has something ...

Almost the same way Pioneer was hyping up L/R: Licensed by Royalty in some of the trailers I seen from their previews in the early 2000s, yet almost no one thinks of the series nowadays. Laughing
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I had forgotten about that one. It helped that the magazines gave companies more places to advertise. Unfortunately I must have been part of a very small group buying the magazines since they all died.

My biggest problem with those days is that the discs sold separately with often several months between issues. Often by the time the second or third disc came out I had moved on to other shows. I hate to think of how many partially watched shows I have.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:54 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
My biggest problem with those days is that the discs sold separately with often several months between issues. Often by the time the second or third disc came out I had moved on to other shows. I hate to think of how many partially watched shows I have.

Yeah, I don't miss the old days of having to collect single disc volumes of TV anime titles. Unfortunately, it's a necessity for some anime that I like yet have unfortunately been out of print for years like Paradise Kiss, R.O.D. The TV (think Aniplex did a later Blu-Ray release for this, but found getting the DVDs were much cheaper), and Koi Kaze.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:55 pm Reply with quote
In addition to the singles, Paradise Kiss was reissued by Funimation as a box set and as a thin pack set. Rod the TV had an optional "book" with plastic pages that held all of the individual disks (with room for the movie). If some one is selling it in that format it is likely legit.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Alan45 wrote:

Yeah, I don't miss the old days of having to collect single disc volumes of TV anime titles. Unfortunately, it's a necessity for some anime that I like yet have unfortunately been out of print for years like Paradise Kiss, R.O.D. The TV (think Aniplex did a later Blu-Ray release for this, but found getting the DVDs were much cheaper), and Koi Kaze.

I own all three titles. However, my Paradise Kiss set is the Australian version. I have the R.O.D. The TV Blu-ray that Aniplex put out. I think I paid $100 for it at the time, but totally worth it. Love the show and the OVA. Have Koi Kaze with the artbox.

I was "lucky" in that when I started buying anime in 2009, distribs were moving away from the singles model to half-sets and complete sets. Certainly more convenient and cheaper, but as a collector I do regret that the move to sets reduced considerably the prevalence of artboxes, which these days mainly exist only as part of limited editions.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I own all three titles. However, my Paradise Kiss set is the Australian version. I have the R.O.D. The TV Blu-ray that Aniplex put out. I think I paid $100 for it at the time, but totally worth it. Love the show and the OVA. Have Koi Kaze with the artbox.

I was "lucky" in that when I started buying anime in 2009, distribs were moving away from the singles model to half-sets and complete sets. Certainly more convenient and cheaper, but as a collector I do regret that the move to sets reduced considerably the prevalence of artboxes, which these days mainly exist only as part of limited editions.

I thankfully own all three titles as well on DVD, Koi Kaze and Paradise Kiss having owned since the 2000s and able to snag back the Geneon DVDs for R.O.D. The TV a few years ago when I originally gave those up years ago when I was needing to sell off chunks of my collection for money when I was cash-strapped.

Art boxes are probably one of the few things I think I liked of the old single-volume era as they made having a complete set more aesthetically pleasing. Beyond that, have more gripes with that era than positives between cost and the amount of shelf space required for them, especially in the case of longer-length titles.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh, yeah - shelf space! I think the craziest example of saying, "eff shelf space considerations" was a few years ago when I bought all 55 volumes of Inuyasha despite owning the DVD box sets. A less extreme example was last year when I picked up the 16 volumes of Armored Trooper Votoms. I'm kind of a sucker for original releases when I can get them.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh, yeah - shelf space! I think the craziest example of saying, "eff shelf space considerations" was a few years ago when I bought all 55 volumes of Inuyasha despite owning the DVD box sets. A less extreme example was last year when I picked up the 16 volumes of Armored Trooper Votoms. I'm kind of a sucker for original releases when I can get them.

My policy's just to go for whatever's cheaper and in the best possible shape, format be damned. When I was making the effort to replenish my shelves once I got financially stable again, I winded up getting DVD releases for some titles over Blu-Rays because I found listings for the original DVD releases that were cheaper than getting them on Blu-Ray. Besides R.O.D: The TV, other titles coming to mind I got DVD releases for instead included Revolutionary Girl Utena, Noein, My-Hime, Garden of Sinners, and Den-noh Coil.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I can't argue with the logic of your position. Sadly, when it comes to collecting for me, logic can go out the window. Mind you, I'm relatively sane with the prices I pay. Like those Inuyasha DVD singles came out to $5 per volume. I just couldn't pass that up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1397 of 1400