• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Some questions on School Rumble before I start watching it

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, despite it's claim to be a "gurugu mawaru love comedy," it has a lot more "gurugu mawaru" than "love comedy." It is, however, a very relationship (not really in the love/dating sense) driven comedy. All of the situations depend more on the interactions of the characters than on any external forces. And one of the strongest points of the show is the well developed side characters. Each side character has a distinct look and personality rather than just having the main characters and some nameless, faceless characters to fill out the cast. And let's face it. If the show focused on Harima and Tenma's tunnel vision the whole time, the show would get stale pretty quickly.

Pleroma wrote:
The relationships go absolutely nowhere

It has been argued on another forum, that will remain nameless, that the show would basically fall apart if any conclusion was reached in the relationships of either of the main characters. I agree with this position. The fact that there is no resolution to the relationships allows the show to keep moving. If any of the main characters started pairing off, then even if the show could continue, it couldn't continue properly as a comedy because the dynamics of the relationships would have changed too much.
kid_gloves

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Urd wrote:
kid_gloves wrote:

Harima IMO is up there with the funniest characters in anime history and equals some of my favorites like Tylor or Osaka.

Osaka from which series ? (I ask that because you seem to love the same series as I Embarassed )

Im speaking of Osaka from Azumanga Daioh.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It has been argued on another forum, that will remain nameless, that the show would basically fall apart if any conclusion was reached in the relationships of either of the main characters. I agree with this position. The fact that there is no resolution to the relationships allows the show to keep moving. If any of the main characters started pairing off, then even if the show could continue, it couldn't continue properly as a comedy because the dynamics of the relationships would have changed too much.

I have to disagree here, first of all characters can allways go out and later break up with those they are not "meant to be with" or perhaps try to two time or just avoid relationships intentionally for a while and still eventually get wherever they are supposed to eb at the end of the story.

Second, any even remotely talented writer could keep the comedyg oing regardless of whether the characters paired off or not. Of course, the fact that nothing has happened so far and show/manga is a neverending rehash of the same stuff clearly indicates that this is a hack job.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2