• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Pilot's Love Song (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

14): Flying island wouldn't have any rivers, lakes or ponds; the water would drain right out of the bottom

You figure this, how? For the most part, the bottom of the flying island looks to be made of solid rock, which, unless it's permeable, not allow the water to drain right out of the bottom.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
"I'll never forgive you, I won't let anyone else die, I won't let it end here, I'll protect everyone!" What happened to "I must get stronger"? Must be some sort of record to cram all those into the series' very first lines of dialog.

I'm not sure why so many were aghast at there being a love story. Wasn't the title a tip off?

This will have to get better fast. Otherwise it will just end up as a lethal drinking game (drink whenever you spot a cliche in the plot or dialog).
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm not sure why so many were aghast at there being a love story. Wasn't the title a tip off?
Love story? That certainly hasn't happened yet. We just got a blinking sign, indicating "Love here!!"

I don't mind them deciding to focus on things after they fall for each other. It's a perfectly fair portion of a story to cover/skip over. But the cheese factor was just too much.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
You figure this, how? For the most part, the bottom of the flying island looks to be made of solid rock, which, unless it's permeable, not allow the water to drain right out of the bottom.

All rock is permeable to one degree or another. And even if the rock was somehow impermeable, because it was like magic or something, the water would simply drip out the sides of the island.

Anyway, it wasn't a major point, which is why I put it last.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:25 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Love story? That certainly hasn't happened yet. We just got a blinking sign, indicating "Love here!!"

Well I didn't mean an entire story, since it's only been one episode, so there's no story about anything yet. I was just surprised at how many people seemed shocked at the blinking sign, like, "Romance?! How did that get in this story about airplanes?!" Did they think the title referred to a pilot who's a fan of Paul McCartney and Wings?
Wrathful

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:43 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I don't mind them deciding to focus on things after they fall for each other. It's a perfectly fair portion of a story to cover/skip over. But the cheese factor was just too much.

Sure the romance worked out way too easily but I think it's not too bad. At least I haven't seen too much mature romance in anime executed in expertise.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:22 am Reply with quote
The island just has water source blocks placed here and there. They're good for a pond with an 8-meter radius each.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:25 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Well I didn't mean an entire story, since it's only been one episode, so there's no story about anything yet. I was just surprised at how many people seemed shocked at the blinking sign, like, "Romance?! How did that get in this story about airplanes?!" Did they think the title referred to a pilot who's a fan of Paul McCartney and Wings?

At least from my perspective it's not like the romance was unexpected (I mean, it's in the freaking title), it's that it was just so poorly, rushedly, cheesily and stupidly handled. Not to mention the female part of the couple, as far as we've seen her, is the most boring and annoying cliche of "cutesy, pretty, innocent and pure" romantic interest that many (at least I) have come to hate
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:08 am Reply with quote
Well if they plan to adapt the whole LN series (which is 5 volumes) i think they'll have to rush things a bit. Maybe it's because i don't watch to many romance based shows but this is the first time i've seen a shy/innocent trope as one of the main characters (aka someone who will have a big impact on the story) because usually they are reduced to forgettable side characters.

So i guess this kind of character is fresh for me. Personally I find tsunderes to be more annoying because it is almost REQUIRED to have at least one in any love related show that i've seen, they are obnoxious as hell and they lead to severe brain cancer for me 90 percent of the time. Very Happy

Hopefully none show up here.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
"I'll never forgive you, I won't let anyone else die, I won't let it end here, I'll protect everyone!" What happened to "I must get stronger"? Must be some sort of record to cram all those into the series' very first lines of dialog.

That requires a mecha license. A standard Pilot's license only permits the first 4.

Though I'm strongly expecting a "Let's go to where everybody is." before the show is up.

Last edited by Bango on Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I wasn't surprised at there being romance, I was surprised at just how badly done the scene was. It was basically an animated scene from a bad fanfic.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:07 am Reply with quote
Yeah, you'd think that if romance is going to be one of the key themes of the show, they'd be a little more naunced about it. But I guess not.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Well, that escalated quickly with the drama. Carl definitely had some guts there. I dislike this spoiler[Fausto] already for his arrogance although somehow, I think he might have have some talents in battle/flight abilities that we may see later on.

I assume spoiler[Ariel teamed up with Ignacio this episode during the training exercise. Speaking of which, Ignacio seems to know Carl...]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Damn this world is huge. Doing some quick math with the 12 knots for 5 months, I got 49,712 miles which is about twice the distance of the Earth's circumference.

Their teacher reminds me of Fabio.

Kae-el sure doesn't waste time with Claire. Even though the romance is corny, it is always nice to have a MC with a backbone. Although to be fair, he is the former prince so he isn't your typical MC. I wished they showed spoiler[Ariel teaming up with Ignacio]... I have no idea why would they leave that part out, unless it will be a flashback later on.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Depending on how long the show runs they'll likely cover it in a flashbang.

I kind of like Kal. I was worried he'd reach Clone Wars level of annoying pining for and hitting on Claire. But it wasn't to the level of annoying... yet. I've seen worse in anime.

The expanding cast is full of fun characters and most of the info drops were fairly natural.

Well except the ever awkward "I will share plot elements with you, Person A. Or should I call you... TRUE NAME COMPLETE WITH TITLE OR NICKNAME!" but that's kind of an anime staple.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12