• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakura Trick (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
Sakura Trick (TV)
Crunchyroll link: http://www.crunchyroll.com/sakura-trick

Synopsis wrote:
Haruka Takayama and Yuu Sonoda were inseparable during their junior high school years, but upon entering their senior high school, they end up being seated on opposite sides of the classroom. Having to spend time with more friends, the two decide to do something to make their relationship special.

I know I should keep my expectations in check, but man I hope this really succeeds to a point the rest of anime industry notices and green light more explicit (though not necessarily adult) yuri works. While I really shouldn't use the "checklist mentality" on titles, the fact there's actual physical intimacy (like lots of kissing and make-out sessions) combine with the usual moe SOL you usually see could be that necessary bridge that'll get the otaku more into the yuri genre. So yeah, I have hopes for this!
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed the scanlated chapters of the manga, so I've already decided to import every volume at release time to do my part to motivate more yuri anime.

God I hope this doesn't go down hill later on and make me regret making my wallet cry.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
That was cute tbh. The spoiler[kiss] was adorable although it might take me awhile to get used to the artwork.

First yuri series I've seen since Strawberry Panic and definitely won't be the last I'll see this year with Akuma no Riddle coming out later this year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hikaru Suzuhara

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:11 am Reply with quote
I counted 58 whole seconds of kissing. Based DEEN saving anime forever.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Took me until just before the OP to figure out this was that yuri anime.

Yay yay, yuri yay!
I was not so excited by the first episode of a yuri anime since Sasameki Koto, but this episode went even further than what I expected. In the first episode alone we had the main couple practically make out, there is kissing, landing on top of each other, blushing, teasing, groping, and daydreaming. It practically sets the bar high.

There are three pairing in the same class: the super best friends, the pretty alike, and mature one meets moe loner. If I had to choose some thoughts about style, some of the gag format reminds me a little of Acchi Kocchi with some symbolism, but there seems to be some work done into making it all look pretty too.

I have marked this as "watched some" as I know there is no way I am not watching this. After all the yuri I read, they have made one that excites, and does not feel dirty, Although now that I think about it I know exactly where I want this to go. Man I must sound like a dirty guy for writing all of this.

I wonder how unwatchable this is for non fans?
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Please permit me this. squeeeeeeeeeeeee~

Seriously, I haven't squeeeeeeeeeeeee~'d in, like, a decade. Not since Strawberry Panic.

So we have an actual honest-to-god Yuri show with a variety of cute and/or hot girls, a few touches of fanservice but nothing too baiting, some good laughs and some really cute romance. Very realistic reactions for highschoolers for a lot of it. The character designs are quite good, with everyone looking unique but not relying on costume gimicks to tell everyone apart. Also LOL at that jump.

Also important to me is that the CG backgrounds are done in a completely mellow way that doesn't obstruct at all. Considering the studio I'm fairly amazed. I'll be sticking with this for sure.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
To overlook the ever promoted yuri for a moment, this is your standard slice of life high school set up and in that regard it is mediocre. The Yuri aspect is blatant to keep the target set of fans glued for "yet another moment" and while it doesn't seem like a forced action it still doesn't feel like an overly romantic encounter either.

Slice of life comedies are dime of dozen, and the enticement of yuri just isn't enough.

I am skipping this not because it is bad but because plainly I could find similarly humor elsewhere.
I might catch this after it has completed the run in case DEEN magically surprises (but I highly doubt they will).
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I wonder how unwatchable this is for non fans?

so unwatchable that a certain forum member has declared that this season is shit now that it has aired

Last edited by getchman on Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
A friend of mine is very anti-yuri (well, he's pro yuri but feels it's wrong to watch yuri without also watching yaoi, and refuses to watch yaoi.) and the bit he saw included the balcony scene. He didn't like how the jump looked.

I imagine non-yuri fans will see it as just another casual school comedy. For me, those get weighed by their comedic level and their gimmicks. So in this case Sakura Trick wins for me because the comedic level is pretty equal to the competition but the yuri is one hell of a gimmick.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if all the new anime just had weak starts, but Sakura Trick and Noragami had the best first episode.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
um well i just watch 1st ep & yet i think in words of tony stark saying from the 3rd iron man movie this said it all for it "I got nothing."

really sure give ha ha gag bit fun but the YURI FEMALE LOVE so too much it like nuke it all on it.

indeed no wonder i like YURI FEMALE LOVE anime so keep watching it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Will any of them go all the way? Our two lead characters don't seem too bright so it would be good to see some other organ in full operation.

Seems sort of off balance to have all this libido going on and nudity in the opening credits but no panty shots. Actually I'm OK with that because on top of everything else it would probably turn out to be too much.

Another one that I'll have to stick around for a few episodes to see if it is any good.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
For whatever reason, my brain translates "yuri anime" as "girls looking wistfully at nothing for long periods of time," so in that sense, this is a nice change, with a good helping of the incredible stupidity that young lovers have.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:06 am Reply with quote
Finally! After so many years, a REAL yuri anime has come! And for added bonus:
>lewd kisses
>sexy legs
>glorious plot
I am eager to see how the anime adaptation of Akuma no Riddle will go with the yuri subtext. And hopefully, Saburo Uta's Citrus will get one eventually and soon.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
I think my only problem with the first episode was that it went too fast from set-up to kissyface. I felt like Haruka's sense of insecurity was better portrayed in the 4koma than it was in the anime. I appreciate all the lewd kissing, but some more care could have gone into making Haruka's plight more... desperate.

Wait, I'm asking for more angst in gay fiction? How... bizarre!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7