• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Riddle Story of Devil (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Watching Black Class taking mid-terms is just weird.
For a second there it makes you forget it's a class full of assassins.
Haru is so naive...
Being the only normal girl there, she just seems kinda weird.
Tokaku managed to save her ass a couple of times too.
That advance notice thing is unusual, but sort of noble.
At least she knows when she's being targeted.
Kaminaga was doing her best to complete the mission.
With Tokaku as Haru's watch dog that was impossible.
Another great episode!]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
It is sort of weird how all these killers are so friendly and cordial with each other -- and with their victim! Amazing how unresentful Haru is and I have yet to see what justifies this confidence she has that she will survive everything.

If anything she seems more worried about her assassins than herself.

For someone out to foil the assassins it seems Tokaku isn't really being very cautious.

Actually it would be easy to beat every assassin. When you get a declaration letter, all Haru has to do is mingle with other students that aren't from class black for the next 48 hours. The assassins are prohibited from doing anything that would affect outsiders, right?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:25 am Reply with quote
I thought about that, too, but the ongoing implication here is that much more is going on with Haru than she has been completely candid about. Obviously she has some kind of special training or even ability, something which makes her a target. She has something at stake here, too, and that may compel her not to do what you're suggesting, HaruhiToy. Or she might be bound by the the rule that hiding amongst the regular students would constitute her getting them involved, which means that she would lose automatically.

Or it could just be loose writing. Some of the fun to this series is going to be finding out which is the case. And I kind of like the "delve into the killer of the week as she takes her turn" approach, as it helps keep the other girls from seeming like just complete throwaway characters. Not a great series through four episodes, but it is keeping my attention.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

spoiler[Explosives] seemed to be her style, and clearly should have expected there was some sort of spoiler[tripwire set up]. After all I got the feeling Tokaku spoiler[agreed to do it by setting the trap up of knowing when the attacker would strike]. This one really was not actually bad, but might be revealing what is the deal. The quote earlier about Tokaku being chosen because she had issues might fit as not just trash talking, so far we have a serial killer who killed her own family, someone suffering from extreme personality changes, spoiler[a history at failing], and whatever Tokaku has.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:47 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And I kind of like the "delve into the killer of the week as she takes her turn" approach,

That does seem to be the format (as they would say in radio broadcasting). Although I wish we got to see more backstory on Takechi the scissors serial killer. (Sort of made me think of Urabe gone bad). The more fun episodes are going to be the ones that feature the truly psychotic players. Kouko's biggest problem is that she really wasn't up to the task. She wasn't nuts enough.

Still we have to see what is behind Haru's supreme confidence that she will graduate even without Tokaku's help. Is it something supernatural? What we have seen is her getting knocked out, tied up, stumble into traps and take no precautions whatever. Had Takechi not spoiler[taken time out to "play" with her prey ("I've got lots of time") she would have easily won right off the bat] then gone on to happily murdering for fun forever after. It reminded me of how Batman and Robin or James Bond always survived because the bad guy was too into something elaborate. Had Tokaku not spoiler[been alert the grape juice bottle would have won it] for Kouko. I'm not sure how spoiler[they survived the library bomb it went off right on top of them.]

Apparently she doesn't expect that the ability that keeps her from being killed also keeps her from being carved up. But she doesn't seem to care. Aside from the fun of watching psychos going down that probably is the most interesting thing to be watching for.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
^
I suspect she is purely unfound optimism, she told herself that she will live happily for the people that died for her, and if she admitted that the odds were not in her favour she would probably fall into despair.

As for the spoiler[explosion], I can't remember the scene perfectly, but was the spoiler[thing near the book just a sensor to the real bomb that may have been to the side]?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Haru is one seriously dumb bunny. Okay, so they are in spoiler[the "secret room" looking for that specific book. By this time, she is already aware that somebody is trying to blow her up. So she sees one of the cell phone straps that she made for her classmates and goes, "doo-da-doo, guess I should just pull on this."] Rolling Eyes

Oi vey. Cute kid but thick as a brick.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote
Some of it's probably just her wishful thinking, though it's probably mostly simply not thinking(after all, spoiler[it's supposed to be the secret book room]).

Also I've noticed that some people on MAL are wanting answers as to the fate of the failures. Does anybody else here feel no doubt that they're being offed?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious about that, too. The fact that there are flowers put on their desks after they fail strikes a somewhat pessimistic note on that score.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote
I kinda wish I didn't pay too much attention to the OP song since it kinda gave away what sort of method spoiler[Haruki] would use to kill. The fight felt fast though. I thought her wish was selfless rather than self-interest so I was almost cheering for her this episode.

Poor spoiler[sensei] though at the end. He needs a hug!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

I really want to know if the flowers do mean they were killed because they failed, spoiler[because the one this time was not bad, she just wanted to help her family, even if it meant she was not there]. And much smarter to just spoiler[give the book straight away rather than warning ahead of time].

Also looks like Tokaku is haunted by spoiler[her aunt being killed by her family for trying to take her out of the killing business].
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[School play?]
Wtf is going on here.
Seems like school life is topping the assassins part.
Well, at least some of them got pretty fired up about it.
Haru, girl, why are you so naive...
Even though she knows that other girls are trying to kill her..
At least Azuma is getting a nice workout 'cause of it.
I was a bit surprised to see spoiler[a direct attack like that], but it was fun.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Poor spoiler[Sensei]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I have come to sort of like how these girls can go from lively and innocent/cute to sinister and malicious and malevolent at the drop of a hat. It is weird though how friendly they can be with the girl they know they are supposed to kill.

Another topic: how can one young looking woman have that many kids?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Another topic: how can one young looking woman have that many kids?

A couple looked like twins, like at least two pairs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8