• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Selector Infected + Spread Wixoss (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niello

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
I watched episode 1 weeks ago and just watched episode 5. It really was a deja vu of when the secret of soul gems was revealed in PMMM.

So, about the wish granting in this anime, following the rules it should be possible to spoiler[wish the opposite of what you wanted, lose 3 battles and get your wish granted], right? That or there're something I'm missing from the episodes I haven't watch, like you can't wish what you don't actually want or something. I know that since the cards seem to be sensitive about it the chance of knowing right from the beginning isn't much but it's a possibility.

spoiler[Also what if a wish contradicts another wish? For example Ruko could have tried to wish for her and Yuzuki to become Hitoe's friends. They overlap but are not the same.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Well I suppose this'd be our CHOMP episode?

Exactly my thought.

Episode 5

You know, when things are lospoiler[oking great for the person who is always alone], that is when something really spoiler[bad is going to happen]. It has happened to spoiler[Mami], it happened to spoiler[Luna], and now it has happened to spoiler[Hitoe].

I am actually reminded somewhat of Black Rock Shooter, in that it was when spoiler[their alternate self was taken out that they lost everything connected to what made up that other self]. Special credit to spoiler[BRS being battle hungry kind of like Tama]. My guess is that we might get a similar ending where spoiler[at the final hour we will have people fighting back against the tainted wish].
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Niello wrote:
So, about the wish granting in this anime, following the rules it should be possible to spoiler[wish the opposite of what you wanted, lose 3 battles and get your wish granted], right?

That probably wouldn't work. It probably grants the wish in your heart, not in your head. Also I guess once you have your wish set, you can't change it since no one suggested Hitoe pick a new wish once her old one was fulfilled. Ruko is an exception since she doesn't actually have a wish.
Niello

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:26 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

That probably wouldn't work. It probably grants the wish in your heart, not in your head. Also I guess once you have your wish set, you can't change it since no one suggested Hitoe pick a new wish once her old one was fulfilled. Ruko is an exception since she doesn't actually have a wish.

Technically hearts can't think, so if going by your scenario a test of sincerity is more likely.

Also, I don't think Ruko's an exception because you have to be explained of the overall rules and purposes before you can even know you can choose on a wish. So, if someone's more on a skeptical side she can easily try to pry out some information before deciding what to wish for.

Something like that. I haven't watched every episodes available so what I said is speculation more than anything. I'm just having some fun by trying to pick out loop holes.
Bango

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I was actually expecting Hitoe to have to say farewell to Midoriko. I wasn't expecting a spoiler[flipped wish]. It's far more welcome than the spoiler[card or master dying] and adds some possible dynamics. I also love how quickly they shot down the loophole I was expecting them to abuse.

If I were a master in this game and I suddenly learned that it'd tear my heart out to do so but my Lrig would go right in the fire. Something that monumentally important might be fine for a certain wish-granting alien white cat-like from another series to leave out but these Lrigs are shown as caring and friendly. It's outright betrayal to leave that fine print out. Even if I managed to contain my rage there would be a massive forced Q&A session with my Lrig. I'd likely consider it an advanced AI and not a person by then though so too many lies and it gets the fireplace.

Man, the real cards for Tama and Hanayo look pretty different. Which is good IMO because the CCG market in Asia requires a higher level of art and design to sell, but doing such for the show would likely drain the budget. I've got a huge love/hate relationship with the card art because they didn't stick to one artist for each Lrig, so for example you get Tama drawn by the glorious Fujima Takuya on one card, and then drawn by Pop on another. ugh.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, in Midoriko's defense, she repeatedly told Hitoe to get rid of her.

Assuming the LIRGs get something out of their owners winning it's not odd that they'd withold information that might make their owners stop playing. At least they didn't go "Dur hur you never asked!"

Quitting is certainly an option, but at least in Yuzuki's case becoming the Eternal Girl is the only way she'll get what she wants so she'll have to take that risk. Of course with the way she's been acting towards him lately, it looks like she might be losing Kazuki anyways.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah i kind of lost respect for Midoriko after this episode. Don't you think it's a LITTLE late to tell someone "Hey by the way you won't be able to make friends anymore kthxbai" when they are seconds away from losing???!?!?!

She told Hitoe to rip her up but don't you think that's a bit of a unreasonable request when she see's her as a special friend? Afterall she was the one who comforted Hitoe when she had no friends. It's no surprise she wasn't going to just rip her apart on command.

I don't know why she just didn't tell her not to battle in the first place. As far as i know Selectors are not forced to play these games and we aren't even shown why Hitoe ends up playing this mysterious player. It just........happens.

Someone theorized that in order for the cards to be free they have to take their owners wish (in other words they can only be free when they lose). So if that's the case wouldn't it make sense for Midoriko to tell her that freeing her could be her wish since she didn't have one? Maybe it works like with Genie's where you can wish free from their lamps? It's not a bad theory considering in the OP we see Tama running behind Ruko in the physical form. That might end up being her wish since she doesn't have one at the moment.

Hitoe might be shocked by the revelation sure but considering how she treated her a true friend you'd think she would have at least done something to try to fix the situation instead of letting it happen and telling her at the VERY LAST SECOND (which is basically pointless anyway since she's going to forget everything). That would at least encourage her not to lose on purpose if she ever got in a battle again.
Bango

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
At least they didn't go "Dur hur you never asked!"
Gods I'm glad they didn't do that.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Awwww yeeeeah, spoiler[Akira got BLOWN THE F*** OUT!]

Shame that spoiler[there wasn't much to the battle, but man was it worth it to see Akira get destroyed. She's even worse than we thought because she's the one who handed that sick girl her 3rd loss. But Iona undoubtedly also kicked her ass, so that means Akira is eliminated. Her wish was to wreck Iona's life, so I guess this means Iona is gonna have it even better from now on? I wish I was on hand to taste those delicious tears.]

Ruko spoiler[has quite the dilemma. Is it right to play a game for fun when those you beat have so much on the line? To trample over others' dreams for your own amusement? Obviously she's not cool with that, but...]

Yuzuki spoiler[is filled with so much despair. Damn, can't a girl hang out with her brother without a group of bitches giving her crap for it? Looks like she's decided to risk losing for the sake of her wish. I fear she's on a slippery slope, though.]

Hitoe spoiler[is also suffering and maybe even suicidal? Her mom is trying her best, but it's not exactly a simple situation to explain.]

So this show is actually a pretty terrible commercial. The rules aren't explained and we barely get to see much of the battles, focusing on the characters instead. Despite that, I hear the decks are selling like hot cakes. Are you paying attention, toy industry?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
This show has become zero fun, imo. Sure, it was great to see Aki-lucky spoiler[get her skanky ass kicked and that other noob was cute,] but it's nothing but misery for our three main girls. Really hope there is some sort of ray of light soon, because this is becoming a drag.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

spoiler[
So much despair, and kind of creepy things. Hitoe is falling apart and maybe thinking about wanting to die]
, her mum seems great though. Yuzuki is also in a terrible state, the spoiler[girls vying for her brother's attention think she is in the way, and feels everything slipping]. The battle she had spoiler[with that other girl was meant to show that she is kind of starting to think that she can stamp on someone else's dream to get her own], the other girl was quite naïve but very nice. And Ruuko, it looks like the spoiler[monstrous thing in her dream is Tama], and she is starting to think she might be just like her.

Also, apparently Akira was the one who spoiler[finished off the sick girl, and her wish was not to have a better career, it was to end Iona's or even her life]. She has apparently spoiler[lost twice, I think against some unnamed girl who was beaten by Iona], She did not have a spoiler[loss of memories, so I assume Iona is going to decide and finish her off.
]

Blood- wrote:
Really hope there is some sort of ray of light soon, because this is becoming a drag.

But it is delicious, delicious despair, oh my god I am that person! I actually had the exact same thing when I was really getting into Black Rock Shooter, I just really liking characters fall into despair, it is like a guilty pleasure.

Apparently both these series had the script done by Mari Okada, so maybe that is something.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Fri May 16, 2014 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Really hope there is some sort of ray of light soon, because this is becoming a drag.

But it is delicious, delicious despair, oh my god I am that person! I actually had the exact same thing when I was really getting into Black Rock Shooter, I just really liking characters fall into despair, it is like a guilty pleasure.

You, sir. Are a freak. Wink
Bango

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
You, sir. Are a freak. Wink

I too love characters going through the shit emotionally or physically but I do like there to be some sort of smile at the end, or at least a "it's not as bad as it was" ending. I played a D&D character once who was horribly racist and her backstory covered the progression from aimless rage to focused rage. Her actual plot ended with her exiling the people from her land instead of her initially planned genocide. It's not like she ended up singing kumbaya around them at a campfire or anything, she just resolved to make sure she never had to deal with them again. So resolutions like that are fine with me and I wouldn't be shocked if this show had one.

I'd say my tolerance for character despair lasts about 12 eps, so it'll cover most entire series. However, that count drops very sharply with each character who's not suffering. That's why I hate the "main character in an emo funk for 5 eps" thing so much. Everyone around him is usually doing fine.

Ep 6 -

Chiyori looks like she came from any other card game anime. That's hilarious. And a Wixxos novel? LOL I'm gonna have to go back to ep1 sometimes and refresh myself on how Ruko got introduced to the game in the first place.

Ruko, girl, I've got one word that'll solve most of your problems: Proxy. Proxies are when you have a valuable card which you don't want to use, so you put it in a case and label a common card as Tama. So long as you keep your original with you to prove you have it you should be fine. Use the proxy for fighting selectors, which is rare, and use the real card when fighting general battles so Tama can batoru too.

Hitoe, IMO, spoiler[is going to kill herself. Or at least try. It all depends on if she show is going to go that far]. Her mom is trying but yeah, you can't explain this situation to an outsider and you can't prove it to them. The best you can hope for is convincing her that you got her daughter involved in a cult. And that's likely not helping.

Yuzuki could've had it so much easier if she didn't act like a stalker around him, watching him from doorways and stuff.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I only revel in despair when it happens to bitches like Akira.

For the others, I'm cheering for them and hoping they'll overcome their trials and achieve happiness.
Bango

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
Ep 7 -

Gotta hand it to you, girls. spoiler["Remember that girl who had her hopes and dreams shattered? She sent me a text wanting us to meet her in a derelict building alone at night. Let's go!"] has got to be the worst idea ever. Though the spoiler[badass scar] was unexpected. I'll be glad if they explain that. I'm assuming spoiler[Hitoe has it too but it just hasn't been revealed if it has anything to do with losing your wish.]

This ep also drove it more for me that Hitoe's situation is 90% her Lrig's fault.

I wonder if cel phones work when you're in a battle. If so you could have your spectator friend text an uninvolved person who you planted nearby to interfere in a duel if you were loosing, thus forcing it to not count.

Also, as much as I love this show I've gotta agree that it ranks right up there with PS3's baby and that Herbaria drowning one for the worst advertisements ever. I wouldn't touch this game a 13 meter long vector if I were an impressionable youth. I'm even going to say that it's likely not even trying to sell the game. I think the game is using the anime to sell the game (somewhat), but the anime is using the game to sell the anime. I don't think I've ever seen this reverse version done for a CCG anime.

Last edited by Bango on Fri May 16, 2014 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12