• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Soul Eater Not! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:25 am Reply with quote
I tells ya, if I had the power to spoiler[mind control Meme, I wouldn't bother having her steal secrets for me, heh-heh-heh... I think I could find other, better, uses for that slammin' bod.]

On one level, I appreciate the development of an actual, interesting plot, but there is the other part of me that would have been completely content if SEN was nothing more than a cgdct* title from start to finish.

(for those who may be familiar with the term, that means "cute girls doing cute things."
Bolaum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 10: I took a look and it looks like the anime just caught with the manga and since there is no original ending Very Happy I guess we only gave like 2 episodes left Sad

Anyway this episode was really good change. spoiler[I really really didn't expect Meme to be mind controlled. Also we finally discovered what killed Sid.] Can't wait for the next episode.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I tells ya, if I had the power to spoiler[mind control Meme, I wouldn't bother having her steal secrets for me, heh-heh-heh... I think I could find other, better, uses for that slammin' bod.]

Ah. The main-line fantasy of all little boys everywhere.

Only question is why would you restrain yourself to just the one?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
Oh, I'm pretty sure you already know that answer to that question.

Sigh. If only psychic mind control was actually a thing...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
DuskyPredator For The Win! spoiler[How'd you figure that out? The show surprised me by making both Meme's sleep walking antics and her bad memory a plot point.]

Well I noticed that there seemed to be spoiler[some rather suspicious behaviour, the bat whistle really gave me the idea, seemed to not fit just random sleep walking]. And then I realised that spoiler[the plot was really picking up so I thought it would make sense that they would reveal that the moe like memory loss as actually pretty dark thing would work well as a transition to defy the usual tone]. Plus the idea spoiler[of a literal sleeper agent sounded like a good pun].

Episode 10

These guys were idiots. I could have told them straight away that they spoiler[should assume that the witch would know that leaving Meme there would be a trap. That if she really did want Meme she would use a trick to make it easier on the inside and the ambushers would be at risk from getting prayed upon if not defended enough]. It is like none of them know the sort of strategy that I picked up from playing video games.

Also quite a few emotions, too much for me recovering from another show that likes cute things. I might not know a lot about Halloween as a holiday due to my nationality, but shouldn't Anya's carved pumpkin be the point of Halloween? It is meant to be scary not just silly.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
They don't celebrate Halloween in Australia? I've never made a Jack O' Lantern (religious conflict of interest re: celebrating Halloween), but the Jack O' Lanterns in ANN's Halloween contest seem to get cuter and more creative every year.

I'm so glad this show isn't just cute girls doing cute things! The mix of a more serious, darker plot (and the couple of boys with a sense of humor) really make the show for me. Besides, it'd be a betrayal of Soul Eater's shonen status if its spin-off had no action!
Bolaum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:47 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
They don't celebrate Halloween in Australia? I've never made a Jack O' Lantern (religious conflict of interest re: celebrating Halloween), but the Jack O' Lanterns in ANN's Halloween contest seem to get cuter and more creative every year.

I think the US is the only place where it's celebrated haha.

Just a weird thought: Since Tsugumi, Meme and Anya are never seen in the main Soul Eater (as far as I know), will they die?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:00 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
They don't celebrate Halloween in Australia?

You might get some kids come for candy, but it is not really a substantial amount, maybe chance for some teens to dress up a bit, and you might get some themed stuff at stores. At least some interesting television, should have some horror movies on. Most stuff is just a small copy of what America does.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Bolaum wrote:
I think the US is the only place where it's celebrated haha.

Japan has, can, and always will import things it likes and use them in a uniquely Japanese way. Japan does Halloween stuff but not that much because it isn't weird enough. I think.
Quote:
Just a weird thought: Since Tsugumi, Meme and Anya are never seen in the main Soul Eater (as far as I know), will they die?

No reason to believe that. This is a "down the hall" reprise and it seems that DWMA is a big enough place that many story lines could co-exist without being dependent on each other.

And remember the NOT students were never supposed to get mixed up in the deep doo-doo Maka and the gang does.
Bolaum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Japan has, can, and always will import things it likes and use them in a uniquely Japanese way. Japan does Halloween stuff but not that much because it isn't weird enough. I think.

I meant that it's not as big as the US not that it's non existent. Razz

HaruhiToy wrote:

No reason to believe that. This is a "down the hall" reprise and it seems that DWMA is a big enough place that many story lines could co-exist without being dependent on each other.

And remember the NOT students were never supposed to get mixed up in the deep doo-doo Maka and the gang does.

This is true but hence "a weird thought".
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Idk if this was merely a slice of life show i could have put up with Tsugumi's constant passiveness. But now that the plot has started to kick in I'm hoping she finally grows past it. I don't mind characters being afraid or unconfident but it should never drag on for the entirety of the series imo. At that point whenever they finally do do something note worthy on their own it's extremely underwhelming since you can see it coming a mile away (example Aoi from Coppelion).
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I always wondered how it came about that Sid became a zombie. As I recall from the original series it made it sound like it was something he just decided to do.

I thought it was mentioned in the main anime storyline that he was spoiler[stabbed in the head with a mini Statue of Liberty], and Stein just took the opportunity spoiler[to experiment on the guy]
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Now Anya just needs a spoiler[witch's hat (goes with the Halloween stick) and she would look awesome flying under a dark sky with a bright shiny moon.]

Overall, a tense set up episode. spoiler[Stein's trolling never ceases to amuse me though but I hope the girls take down Shaula. I had enough of her messing with other people's lives.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Mahou Shoujo Soul Eater! And an S class troll.
Bolaum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 11

Mahou Shoujo Soul Eater! And an S class troll.

Hehe CCS was the first thing that I thought when I saw that. Anyway Stein was awesome, I love that guy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9