• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Soul Eater Not! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
Dr. Stein absolutely needs to have his own place of honour in the Troll Hall of Fame.
Bolaum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Dr. Stein absolutely needs to have his own place of honour in the Troll Hall of Fame.

ANN really should make a "The List" about trolls Laughing
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Bolaum wrote:
Blood- wrote:

ANN really should make a "The List" about trolls Laughing

My vote too. Epic. QTOD: "It's fun to tease the girls."

Just as good: Maka in action. Best moves in the business.

Next up: Liz brandishing Patti. Can't get more fun than that.

Episode 11 had so much win.

Also, Anya and Tsugumi naked never hurt any episode.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Okay, the girls acted stupidly this ep. It's not their fault; they were written that way (long rant ahead): spoiler[So your friend is possessed by a witch, and you want to save her. But you know you don't have the skills or experience to fight a witch. And if you confront possessed friend directly, she could kill you. What do you do? Well, maybe, just maybe, you can let the people at the school for *professional witch hunters* do their jobs, and not stubbornly put yourself into danger!]

spoiler[The girls know they're outmatched, everyone around them know their outmatched, multiple characters point this out to them, and they agree. So when asked why they're willing to risk their lives and Meme's life anyway, Tsugumi says its because they have "something else they want to protect". Do they really think the school doesn't want to save Meme? Dr. Stein came up with an antidote, in part, to save Meme! Why do they think they're the only ones on campus who want to save her? Because it's shonen manga, and the writer(s) couldn't think of a better way to get the main characters involved in the climatic battle logically. ]/rant

That said, the episode was entertaining.
spoiler[ When Liz tore away on the scooter, all I could think was "yup that's how they drive in Brooklyn," (sans the gun, they're really anti-gun in NYC). Tsugumi becoming a flying broomstick was amusing, but I wish it had a bit more explanation. What do halberds have to do with wings?
I'm not a fan of practical jokes, so Stein's trolling didn't amuse me much.
Following the bat was clever. Favorite moment: Anya's distraction - "look, a witch!" I totally fell for it! Razz]
Bolaum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:04 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

That said, the episode was entertaining.
spoiler[ When Liz tore away on the scooter, all I could think was "yup that's how they drive in Brooklyn," (sans the gun, they're really anti-gun in NYC). Tsugumi becoming a flying broomstick was amusing, but I wish it had a bit more explanation. What do halberds have to do with wings?
I'm not a fan of practical jokes, so Stein's trolling didn't amuse me much.
Following the bat was clever. Favorite moment: Anya's distraction - "look, a witch!" I totally fell for it! Razz]

About the spoiler[wings], it's explained in the original (first SE) manga (yeah [expletive] spoilers).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (final)

Gagantous!

Shaula was wearing spoiler[red shoes], clearly the other way to spoiler[beat her was to throw a house on her head]. The witch spoiler[soul is meant to be the last one they get]. Any complaints about the last episode? Nah, it was as expected and did everything right.

I am a strange one, I have had trouble really getting any interest in Soul Eater, despite own DVD with episodes I have not watched yet. I found the original series to be a little too "odd" for me really to get excited about it, but Soul Eater NOT! has fit my tastes a bit better in being more grounded or at least more explanatory, not to mention cute girls doing cute things slice of life, it has been an easy watch. You could question if the action drama at the end came out of nowhere, or that it really took its time with the action of Soul Eater, but I would like to think it hits the middle where it is both action and Slice of life. The twist was a good one, was happily surprised when the pieces started to come together the episode before the reveal. Actually I do have a complaint, the pistol sisters were rather annoying.

Overall, I give it the rating of Good, it was worth seeing, and probably has made me more interested in continuing with the original series. All three of the girls are interesting, maybe a little bland at first, but slice of life has a way of making interaction improve a character. Don't come in expecting an action series, but you will get some as a bonus. Also there were some yuri in a few scenes, so there is a little pandering.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 12/Finale:

It was a decent way to end the show, a bit fast and predictable but nonetheless charming. I wish some of the other supporting characters got screen time though like spoiler[Death the Kid. Oh well, we get some glimpse of him at the end there.]

Overall, rating it as good. I actually think the slice of life tones were better when the show isn't too serious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
For what it was, I give this site a VERY GOOD. Like almost every series, the ending was a bit...meh. I only have three small complaints about the ending

spoiler[Tsugumi didn't choose between the two girls. She should have chosen Anya, as Anya was constantly pushing her to be better, but she chose a very cheesy route.

There was like no Clay and Anya moments! Sad

And, finally, Tsugumi didn't eat Shaula's soul. That could have been a very funny moment lol]

Still, I really enjoyed the series
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I gave SEN a Very Good rating. I really liked the girls and the world a ton. More pwease.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I really liked this show. I am glad they had spoiler[ Tsugumi choose both. I honestly didn't want to see one get heart broken and left behind.]

I love Tsugumi's transformation. spoiler[ I thought it was a nice touch to have her change the type of pole weapon she was depending on who is holding her... Princess gets a more spear like weapon and jugs gets a more axe like version. Although I knew it would be impossible I was thinking it would have been cool if Tsugumi were to split herself in 2 so they could both use her at once.]

I'm not sure but I am hovering over Very Good and Good for this... haven't really nailed it down yet.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I found the original series to be a little too "odd" for me really to get excited about it, but Soul Eater NOT! has fit my tastes a bit better in being more grounded or at least more explanatory, not to mention cute girls doing cute things slice of life, it has been an easy watch.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were actually responding to the difference in artwork. I didn't like the original Soul Eater artwork to begin with, but over time I noticed more and more things about it that were truly innovative and quite charming.

SEN definitely is drawn along more conventional anime esthetics. Somehow they did it while preserving the reprise characters for the most part, but to me they somehow lost their "edge" (for lack of a better word.)

So the conclusion of SEN was fairly predictable although I am going to spoiler[miss that witch] she had a lot going for her. A true yuri meanie.

Speaking of which another thing which is much different about SEN is that the original series definitely eschewed any fan service. Yet here we not only got to see the girls nude multiple times (yay) but an awesome fluid-transfer yuri kiss. You go girls.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Tsugumi and Anya save the day with Yuri fan service! I'd be disappointed, but it was really predictable. Well, the fanservice was predictable spoiler[Tsugumi getting stabbed was shocking.]
The final ep was satisfying and this show overall had a great balance of slice-of-life humor and shonen action. It really benefited from its setting in an established fantasy world.

spoiler[Tsugumi picking both girls as meisters was obvious in hindsight, and done well. I liked Tsugumi's line about making the most of their time together because they'll never know when they'll have to split up in the future. It's bittersweet but realistic for teen friendships.]

Little quibbles: [b]1. Souls in the Soul Eater world are meant to be eaten, so why didn't Tsugumi eat Shaula's soul?
2. Not enough resolution for Clay and Akane at the end, especially since we *don't* see them in Soul Eater.[/spoiler]

It's always a good sign when I think I'm gonna miss the theme song. Now I have to figure out where to start reading the Soul Eater manga from since I saw the show.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
Well if i remember correctly from soul eater, witch souls are meant to be eaten last after eating 99 souls. Eating it before then apparently does nothing. Besides being a NOT student, she might not have been told about the whole eating souls thing (though maybe it's mentioned in the manga).
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 End

I watched all twelve episodes of Soul Eater Not! over the last two days and gave it a Good rating.

I really did not like most of the serious content in the second half and that kept me from rating it Very Good. I did like the way that the problems were resolved.

Instead of spending time on Shaula I wish that they would have given us more of the girls developing their relationships. Not just the main three but also Kim and Jacqueline. It was good that we got some of their history, but I would have liked to have seen more.
If the writers had eliminated just half of what Shaula was doing and given that time to the girls I probably would have given the show a Very Good rating.

But, overall it was fun and enjoyable. I will probably watch it again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9