• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal (ONA).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
^Yes, that's all true.

She's not as annoying as Araki Kae. Lol, thank gawd. Rolling Eyes

I could have done without the close-up of a spoiler[father-daughter KISS] though. SQUICK.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Ep 14, if I didn't mention this before the pacing for the final part of this first main arc has gone TOO damned slow, this should have been wrapped up at ep 13 (possibly even ep 12) for what occurred in this "extra epic finale"spoiler[ (in other words overly dissapointing when trying to emphasize the rebirth of a magic kingdom)]

The story itself is "fine", the people in charge of keeping the pacing in proper order need to go back to the basics as this thing is over extending almost into Hobbit levels of narrative dragging.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
It's not for me, but if I don't seem somebody using Chibi-Usa with a gun as an avatar, anime is over.

Then again, that might not be so bad. it would mean that Sailor Moon Crystal would be over too! At least it wasn't the dumbest thing involving the moon that I saw this week.

*achem*

That was too harsh, but I'd hung the fruit so low that I had to pick it.

Does she have the gun in the manga? It's kind of weird, but it was also the strongest 'positive' reaction that this series has evoked from me in a while.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Does she have the gun in the manga?

spoiler[Yeah, it shoots out flowers. Anime hyper ]

But I really hate how the character designer gives all the women LITERALLY the exact same face! In the manga, Chibi-Usa still has childish features but in Crystal, it's like they cut and pasted that same "older woman with pronounced lips" face that all the girls have onto a five-year-old kid's body.

NOPE. That's just weird!!!

Who designed the anime!? You fail big time. Rolling Eyes
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Then again, that might not be so bad. it would mean that Sailor Moon Crystal would be over too! At least it wasn't the dumbest thing involving the moon that I saw this week.

Laughing Oh my lord, I can't believe I just watched spoiler[two adults fight over whether the moon is a planet or a star]. Maybe I am just a big nerd because I thought the answer was common knowledge.

Chiibi wrote:
Who designed the anime!? You fail big time. Rolling Eyes

I am sure a number of us have been watching Shirobako for what goes into an anime. And for there to be character designs and really few differences of the Sailor Scouts, then they really are cutting corners, and it really has become the biggest problem with the show. I don't believe they properly sat down and said how they can make the story and characters fit the expectations of something in 2014.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I noticed a few blatant animation errors in this episode, worse than just flat-out bad animation. Like the crystal being in the staff while it's on teh ground, not there when she picks it up, and back in the next shot.

And the "return to our normal lives" music didn't feel like it fit in the series at all, either.

You know, it never bothered me much in the original manga, the original anime, or the tokusatsu, but... Usagi's not even a 3rd year in junior high, and Mamoru's in college. I know that this is fine in Japan and all, but it bothers me, especially since it shows them being all lovey-dovey and kissing right after pointing out her age.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
You know, it never bothered me much in the original manga, the original anime, or the tokusatsu, but... Usagi's not even a 3rd year in junior high, and Mamoru's in college. I know that this is fine in Japan and all, but it bothers me, especially since it shows them being all lovey-dovey and kissing right after pointing out her age.

*laughs*

Did you know that in older magical girls series that a ten-year-old crushing on a guy at least eight years older than her was totally a thing?

But I believe Mamoru is only supposed to be 17 in the manga and Crystal. He was made older in the 90s version.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But I believe Mamoru is only supposed to be 17 in the manga and Crystal. He was made older in the 90s version.

And Sailormoon and the rest of the senshi are supposed to be ~13 in the first arc, so there is still a noticeable age gap between these two romantic leads.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
High schools in their area have uniforms. In this episode, it seemed to imply that he was meeting her directly after school, and he had casual clothes on and a bag that is often used as a school bag. Furthermore, even in other just-after-classes-get-out scenes, he's never been in a uniform. The implication is clear that he's already graduated high school, and is either in college, or between the two.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:

And Sailormoon and the rest of the senshi are supposed to be ~13 in the first arc, so there is still a noticeable age gap between these two romantic leads.

Nope, 14.

Lol, a three-year gap is nothing to me. My OTP is fourteen years apart. Anime hyper I just am unable to care about age gap romance in fiction as long as it's handled tastefully, which I think this is, along with many many others. It's chaste, very chaste, on what is basically a Disney level of chastity. Romance = hug or kiss.

Quote:
The implication is clear that he's already graduated high school, and is either in college, or between the two.

In the manga, when Usagi runs into Mamoru on the bus, he's wearing a uniform and she asks if he's a middle school student. He replies (with annoyance) that he's in his second year of high school and shows her his student I.D. Whether Crystal omitted this detail or not, I can't remember but yeah, he is in high school. I just looked at my copy of the book to confirm this.

And don't freshmen and seniors date all the time? The Japanese grades are different but in America, I'm sure 14-year-old high school freshman date 17-year-old seniors frequently.

In the 90s version, Usagi's dad throws a fit the first time he meets Mamoru and hugs his wife, crying that "his baby daughter has turned into a delinquent". It's pretty funny. Laughing

But why viewers would be bothered about this three year gap, especially in Sailormoon is amusing to me, considering that the entire cast looks like 20-year-old women parading around in school girl cosplay. Laughing
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:28 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Lol, a three-year gap is nothing to me. My OTP is fourteen years apart. Anime hyper I just am unable to care about age gap romance in fiction as long as it's handled tastefully, which I think this is, along with many many others. It's chaste, very chaste, on what is basically a Disney level of chastity. Romance = hug or kiss.

Except for the part in this arc where they at least got to second base on the kitchen floor. Laughing spoiler[(In the manga, Usagi's wearing this shirt underneath her overall-dress; in the next shot, the shirt's gone AND she's wearing one of Mamoru's shirts!] Somebody hold me while I clutch my pearls! XDDD)

Sorry, had to poke a little fun at that. I always found the romance aspect of the manga to be the least interesting part. ^^;
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
considering that the entire cast looks like 20-year-old women parading around in school girl cosplay.

That becomes meta when one considers the live action play and television adaptation.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Except for the part in this arc where they at least got to second base on the kitchen floor. Laughing spoiler[(In the manga, Usagi's wearing this shirt underneath her overall-dress; in the next shot, the shirt's gone AND she's wearing one of Mamoru's shirts!] Somebody hold me while I clutch my pearls! XDDD)

Sorry, had to poke a little fun at that. I always found the romance aspect of the manga to be the least interesting part. ^^;

Oh!
I remember someone else mentioned this part too....but I can't for the life of me even place it. Can you remember which chapter or volume specifically? It's driving me nuts!

[EDIT] NVM: found it. Anime hyper
That's a tough call.
Basically a spoiler[did they or didn't they?] thing. But yeah, spoiler[her blouse disappeared all right!]
It's so subtle....Anime hyper

Usagi and Mamoru are somewhat cute in the manga....but they don't give me warm, fuzzy squee feelings that my regular ships do. I support them...but I don't get excited over them. There's just something missing.....

Quote:
That becomes meta when one considers the live action play and television adaptation.

Ah, I thought you were only talking about Crystal.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 16:

So even after spoiler[Mercury beats her opponent, she gets taken? D: Anyways, the episode felt pretty fast. That Mamoru doll was adorable in the latest episode though...] Wonder who spoiler[else is going to take taken next. Their target is that Chiba girl so it'll probably be a matter of time before they find her.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 17:

Eh, spoiler[the fight was too fast this episode and predictable but the episode had a bunch of cute scenes like the dolls and forehead kiss. Makoto is gone now so that leaves with just two Sailor Scouts...]

I hope they spoiler[have a plan to get them back soon.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 18