• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otome wa Onee-sama ni Koi Shiteru

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undeadben

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Ok this is another new show. I haven't seen it yet but it seems like it will be a bit more comedic than some of the others out so it would be more up my alley than some of those others, but I wanted to know the thoughts of anyone who may have already seen the first episode.

Apparently, sorry haven't seen it and don't have a good site for a summary, the plot revolves around a boy who ends up having to go to an all girls school due to his grandfathers dying wish. (I think it is the same school his mother attended.) Well the boy happens to really stand out as a girl, a real looker apparently, and from here, I imagine, wackiness ensues.

Is any of this right?

I hope there is more to it than that, though it sounds like it has some good comedic potential. So if anyone has seen it or knows a place for a good summary, (the encyclopedia here does not have a summary yet) please help me out, I mean I will most likely watch the first episode as soon as I can anyway, but any more info would be nice too.

Oh, and if anyone has seen it: any thoughts? Funny? Same ole' tired bits? Boring? A mere excuse for fanservice?

Ok, I really need a nap, but I had wanted to start a topic about this show earlier, for some reason the show's premice has caught my attention, even if it seems a bit silly, so I just wanted to see if anyone knew more about it.

Ok, away I go...

ETA: The Encyclopedia entry has a summary now, not much different than what I had thought but here's a link.

Last edited by undeadben on Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm also keepin an eye on this one but for now I will wait for the fan sub. Wink I must say that the new harem/comedy/romantic anime that came out this month all look interesting. This one, Cresent Love, and Asatte no Houkou.
undeadben

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:34 am Reply with quote
I finally got a chance to see the first episode and it was not bad. It wasn't as comedic as I had expected but it was fairly interesting, and it is still just the first episode so plenty of time for more comedic situations to arise.

The concept is pretty much what I had found originally, this first episode of course being the introduction to the series shows that, and it sets it up pretty well. It may not be the most original of concepts, I'm sure many of us have seen a show recently with a gender bending or cross dressing highschooler. But it was entertaining, and surprisingly, it scores some cuteness points too. It also had a few fanservice shots here and there, which I had expected, but it wasn't abundant.

I liked the seiyuu for the most part. Yui Horie sounded a bit too girly at first, but I got used to it after a few minutes, she is supposed to be playing the cross dressing boy after all, and it wasn't annoying.

I guess there's really not much to expect from just the first episode, but the fact that I was wondering where it would go next after it ended tells me it is entertaining enough to follow for now. It'll be interesting to see where they take the set up at least.

omar235 wrote:
I'm also keepin an eye on this one but for now I will wait for the fan sub. Wink I must say that the new harem/comedy/romantic anime that came out this month all look interesting. This one, Cresent Love, and Asatte no Houkou.

I hadn't had a chance until now to watch any of them. OWONKS (thats a weird acronym, I hope someone can come up with a better way of shortening this than me) seemed more interesting to me, but I also want to watch both Cresent Love and Asatte no Houkou when I get a chance.

Edit, Episode 2:

I caught Episode 2, and surpirsingly it sort of slowed down from the already slow pacing the series premiere and introductory show had. It was still interesting but some moments I was just waiting for something to actually happen. The comedy needs a bit of help with the timing and telling.. for example, the joke that Shion and Mariya played, I expect was supposed to be amusing to the audience as well as the characters, but it was just a long set up that only got across a small not of importance and wasn't really amusing.

I guess I'm about at the point where I am going to give this maybe 2 or 3 more episodes to show me something, or I'll probably drop it. The premise is interesting, I hope they can make something a bit more interesting out of it.

On another note, I found that some people call this show Otoboku, which is taken from the alternate title of the show, Otome wa Boku ni Koi Shiteru. Otoboku sounds worlds better than OWONKS, so I'll start referring to it as that.

Edit, Episode 3:

Now this show is on the verge of finally falling into my will not finish list. Where is that interesting set up they introduced in episode 1?

It jumps straight into a storyline hinted in episode 2 and it makes it the entire focus of this episode.

First of all I don't think that we have been given enough time with the characters to really appreciate a storyline like this. spoiler[(The school's election of thwe school's grand Onee-sama, or whatever.)] We have to be given time with the characters to better appreciate something like this but we are expected to believe that something like this could just happen overnight with no build up or solid background. It is just not well done.

And secondly, the show continues to show its lack of ability when it comes to humor. I think it only got a couple of chuckles from me in this episode, and not even for the story but for amusing things I noticed in the background. I'm givin it another episode. If this show doesn't begin to show some good entertaining moments which are hinted at with the mere premice of the story I'll look for something new to follow.
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Whoa well this turned into a supernatural anime real quick it didn't say that in the discription so I didn't expect it...I actually like it so I'll probably see it through to the end. But I have to say the last two episodes did feel a bit rushed.
undeadben

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:21 am Reply with quote
Well I had expected Ichiko to be introduced sooner or later (I'd read some character profiles before I picked this as one of the shows I'd be following), and what surprised me is that the character seems to have finally breathed some life into this story. How odd that it took spoiler[a dead person] to do that. She might get anoying at some point so I do hope they tone her down just a notch or two, but she is funny for now. Thanks to that 4th epsiode I think I'll keep watching a bit more.

Aside from Ichiko I finally found some good comedic moments and some of those interesting situation that are gonna pop up in a story like this so maybe it'll head in a good direction now. Maybe they realized they weren't doing much with the series because it looks like they might be trying harder in all areas. Like they decided to just go out and tell some stories instead of trying to merely fit things in. Well at least I hope that's where it's going, at the end of epsiode threee I couldn't figure out if they were trying to do so I hope it keeps improving.

Too bad Ichiko wasn't introduced earlier, we could have had her in the crazy character tournament instead of Mariya.
omar235

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Well I got around to watching the last episode and I have to say he is one lucky bastard Laughing seriously though he has like the entire school wanting a last dance.

Alright getting to the actual episode in question I have to say it was a alright ending for an alright show still don't know why it was such a contriversal anime in Japan though anyways in episode 11 spoiler[Takako found out Mizuho was really a guy dressed as a girl. She found out when two gansters tried to kidnap her for ransome and Mizuho jumped in and when Karate chopped there butts, but one of the thugs managed to cut across Mizuho's chest cutting the bra he was wearing to make it look like he had boobs. The bra snapped in half and she saw Mizuho was a boy. She took it hard up until the day of the Christmas dance, after a talk from Mariya she felt better, and had her dance with Mizuho. ]The ending was pretty funny like "haha didn't expect that" sorta funny. I didn't regret watching it nor do I feel like I wasted time. All the characters had there episodes except for Shion which I would have wanted alot more of but alas.

It was a pretty funny romance/comedy (though that episode with Ichiko was a bit sad). It gave me a similar feeling that Yoake Mae Yori Ruri Iro Na ~Crescent Love~ gave me, neither were bad but you would probably have to really like the genre. Wink
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I saw it through the end but only because it was only 12 episodes. For the most part I thought it came out pretty weak. I expected so much before it began and the first episode actually made it seem like there'd be some interesting things to come. But then it just got to a point where either nothing seemed to happen, things were being brought up out of nowhere, or entire shows were dedicated to some very mundane issues that neither developed the plot or the characters. The whole ribbon episode was probably the worst of these. And more to the point, the concept it started out with, boy at an all girl school, seemed to be completely abandoned for entire episodes at a time. A lot of the time it just seemed like a really dull schoolgirl series.

But at least I was treated with a decent ending in the final episode. And there were a couple of interesting moments throughout the series, if they had at least contrived some bigger issues around these moments or actually developed the plot to come to that climax in the final two episodes it would have been decent all around. However overall the very few pretty moments couldn't save this show for me, and I rated it a subpar "so-so."
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the last 3 episodes.

All-in-all I think this show was pretty good, it had a good cross of comedy and drama and the amount of panty shots were just right (including their incredibally awesome chibi design). Although Mizuho copping a feel on Mariya in 10? or was it 11? spoiler[When he was wiping her off] made me chuckle at the little boob bounce. *COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH* <--That was probably my favorite part.

Now when spoiler[Takako figured out that she was a he after Mizuho kicked the crap out of those dudes] was incredibally predictable and saw it coming a mile away, but it didn't have any less of an impact. And the end was good, I liked it although I wanted Mariya and Takako to end up with each other for whatever reason and Mizuho to stay with Ichiko, and Kana and Yukari go with each other......but that's just my dream.

And [b]omar235] said:
Quote:
It gave me a similar feeling that Yoake Mae Yori Ruri Iro Na ~Crescent Love~ gave me, neither were bad but you would probably have to really like the genre.
This is very true, it felt the same way as Yoake Mae Yori Iro Na ~Crescent Love~ and it sort of played out similar. But the animation in Otoboku was good all the way throught while a lot of the character animation in Yoake was inexcusably bad, when an eye is off the body when they look to the side a little, that's just wrong.[/spoiler]

Although I will say that some of the issues they dealt with through the show wasn't anything to be so dramatic about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1