• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ushio & Tora (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 26:

Well, that was intense.

RIP Helena. At least Asako and the others survived but the facility is gone. I think the result of was kinda obvious with all the shit that went down. I liked how the finale of this season managed to deliver some top tier action while also getting some morality across, the reasoning for the their fighting.

8/10 for the season. Can't wait for the second half especially with that tease at the end. This finale was quite satisfying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Tora to the rescue!
Was nice to see Ushio snap over scientists' indifference.
Hakumen was a challenge.. it just refused to be beaten.
Well, it ended with a blast LOL
Was nice to see things return to "normal" after everything.
Juding by the ending, we might get a 2nd season? Well, maybe.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 26 (finale)

Eh.

This show is clunky. Everyone is so quick to fall in love with the retro vibe, that they just seem to be blind to the negative aspects that are part of that generation of anime. It is not like Ushio is that great a character, he greatly fits into the "don't think but feel" type of character, and compared to modern versions he is so clunky written at it. People complain about Kirito, but what does that make Ushio who we are always told is so great. The fact that he apparently loves art so much did not even seem that important most of the time after the cursed painting. It might come down to that I hate characters that fall into the "I don't really understand, but I will do it anyway", and it felt like the show in general was strong in that element. The last arc of the show was about science being wrong in trying to understand something.

We started with boring monster of the week episodes, and those things in particular are annoying that he was the only one who can do something when later we know there are all sorts of people who could help. I don't think I ever thought the comedy was funny, it was often dated and an over reliance on slapstick making the titular heroes fight each other. Fairy Tail has been doing that too, but at least that is kind of funny rivalry unlike where one character has expressed that the only reason he has not eaten anyone is purely due to circumstance. He has always been one step away from being a villain.

I do think the show got better the further it went on, the characters having to save Ushio was especially good, like with bringing back old characters, but during that I can't help but think it felt kind of ugly that it dropped my enjoyment a bit. That sounds a bit petty, but in summarising the show I want to express my full thoughts. I think Tora is well voiced and such, but I did get annoyed at Ushio's. Hakumen no Mono is a creepily cool villain, and I look forward to more of it in the future. For a rating I give it So-so, it did not really grab my attention that much, but I think it did get better when it started to break it's mould.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:30 am Reply with quote
Full critique of this show (in 23 points):

CONCEPT/SETTING:

1) idea of a lad befriending powerful spirit was beaten to death even by 1990s (when this manga was drawn), let alone by now. (It is not a negative on its own for a project as whole yet, just to point out that originality is poor here);

2) this anime should be 13 episodes, not 26; too many filler "moster-of-the-week" stories that make no development for either characters or story, are too cliche, predictable, boring;

3) fights are ridiculous: lots of useless petty dramatic talks and embarrassing pathos;

4) Tora is almost always super weak and useless, despite being presented as almost ultimate spirit (only weaker than the main evil spirit) -- this exposes setting/concept as fake, seams of authors' work on scenario highly visible; no smooth coherent storytelling, poor quality of writing;

5) the reason why spirits fight against woman priestess turns out to be just misunderstanding; the first priestess forgot to explain to spirits what she does and why. This is really lame, low grade plot vehicle;

6) it is nonsensical that spear can pierce through spirit like Tora spirit without killing him (shown few times in the series), even though it was meant to kill spirits. How in the world that this spear would kill main evil spirit?

7) whole idea that super spear that is so strong that it can destroy ultimate evil spirit can be just "broken" by random nobodies goes through all of the series;

8) why would spear want to turn human that operates it into a evil spirit, if as result of that whole pair is weakened and has less chances against main evil spirit that spear hates and wants to destroy?

9) Japanese fanaticism over junk food such as hamburgers is repulsive, especially considering the fact that they have great own cousine. Pink slime with artificial colouring, cancerogenous preservatives and taste enhancers should be never part of any media production, just as tobacco -- and Japan fails at both;

10) girls are made to stumble without any reason in several cases through this anime -- horrible sexist cliche (I know a lot of girls, and none of them ever stumbled just out of the blue).

STORY:

1) to create fake drama and to move the story forward, authors have made ultimate power spear and its wielder Ushio (as well as ultimate beast Tora, as said above), useless against petty ghost that controlled the young powerful priest -- which is ridiculous;

2) every girl of Ushio's harem only combs Ushio in spirit form just once, even when it is possible to bald him for much longer. Also, why comb was not used on Ushio right before he turned into beast?

3) in the end main heroes try to save one good spirit, but easily agree to kill all others within bad one, not caring if they are bad or good.

CHARACTERS:

1) there is from little to no character development. Main law of drama is not followed, there is no genuine drama here;

2) main lad's smile when he utters his heroic, full of pathos speeches, is very annoying. Also, he is presented as heroic in degree that it is too overboard, it does not look real; more like cardboard hero cliche than real person;

3) when main lad gets brought to 400-year old priestess, he wonders why -- since it is bad time for such meetings while a version of main evil spirit attacks the monastery -- and yet he wastes a lot of time talking about needles and fixing his shirt, instead of keeping it short and returning to outside to help to beat the evil spirit. This means that main lad has memory of a chicken;

4) closer to the end main lad's "girlfriend" is made to be mentally deprived/empty-headed as she forgot to call for Tora beast when she was instructed to do so.

VISUALS:

1) cheap, crass character design from 1990s style, including horrible thick eyebrows;

2) fake/laid on prosthetic nose of main lad;

3) Tora looks goofy/buffoonish, not scary (even when he tries);

4) only main evil spirit and his minions look cool; creepy/insane/sociopathic eyes of bad characters are great.

VOICES/MUSIC:

1) main lad's voice actor is mismatch; sounds like middle 30s guy, nothing like teen;

2) some music parts are quite powerful and epic, deserve better anime than this.

RESUME:

Overall, this anime should be rated as "Good" -- even though there are dozens of drawbacks in it both big and small. The reasons for that is that the project does come out of horrible "monster of the week" filler episodes and becomes real story.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 1:

Whoa, it's only 3 months but this show already felt a bit nostalgic. Glad to see it back and Tora's return is also quite pleasing. Seems like he remembers his past conversation with Mayuko too. Good start s far despite being somewhat of a slow pacing. It reflects back to the events and builds up for this season. Decent action as well, they sure aren't wasting time for getting straight into the fights

Can't wait to see what else this season has to offer. So happy to see some of the supporting characters back too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Kinda felt like some one was sitting on the fast forward button this episode. Lots of stuff going down pretty quickly.

Kept bugging me how some of the voice actors changed. It's strange, since Japan is really good at retaining actors and the production was intended to be split from the start.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Good start s far despite being somewhat of a slow pacing. ... they sure aren't wasting time...

Jeez, how much faster did you want? It also sounds like you don't know what you want. Smile

I enjoyed every minute of that. The girls were kind of funny. "I don't remember who he was, but I was in love with him, and so were you!" Even the fox can't erase love! Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:43 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

It is a cool arc to come back on, one where the memories of many of their allies has been erased and give us a chance to be reminded about them all again. I would say it was a pretty solid episode, even holding back with Tora until half way through the episode or so.

What was the deal with all the Tora like creatures in the OP? I guess I am interested.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:01 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 2:

Intense and emotional episode. Asako deserves all my respect for what she did.

I'm kinda disappointed by Guren's powers though as I had expected a bigger fight out of him against Tora. Anyways yeah, I think this feels more like a sample of the upcoming battle against Hakumen no Mono. Should be quite exciting to see what to come next.

Ushio + Tora = two monsters molded into one. What an episode, just wow.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't think we've seen the last of Guren since he's in the ED.

I like how Tora's hair inserts itself behind his eyelashes, and though Asako's face is burnt to a crisp she still has perfect hair forever™. Sometimes you need a little artistic license.

How come people still don't remember them even after all the memory-wiping demons have been wiped out or driven off?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
How come people still don't remember them even after all the memory-wiping demons have been wiped out or driven off?

When did that happen? Depends on how the wiping happened anyways. If the memories were "eaten" then they're gone gone.

Anyways, how do you establish a new villain as awesome with just one second of screentime? Have Wakamoto come out of his mouth.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I misunderstood what that big hive of Hakumen demons was about. I thought that's how they were keeping them under control. Ushio & Tora's combo lightning-fire attack mopped them up.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:15 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 2

I like how this episode was able to focus on the relationship between the girls instead of just in relation to Ushio. That fire and burn bits made the episode kind of painful to watch.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 3:

Neat episode, really liked the fact that the show did a good job explaining the azufume and their origins. Those Tora-look alikes really looked creepy to me though in terms of designs....

And we also got Guren back too. That almost felt like a personal battle between him and Tora imo. Since Hakumen no Mono is the ultimate antagonist of this show, I'm excited to see how they will battle against him in this adaptation.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the creatures from the Toraverse were interesting, each taking a feature and running with it. So Tora used to be human, eh? Lots of info poured out, but it still managed not to feel like a dump.

♪ Don't blame it on the sake
Don't blame it on the moonlight
Don't blame it on the good times
Blame it on the boogie...♫
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9