• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks / Maiden Japan / AEsir Holdings / ADV Films Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
@Megiddo

While I'm sure Sentai uses all the information it can get, it is possible that MAL may not be representative of the entire fan base. I think it likely that Sentai makes its decisions on the basis of other information, like streaming numbers, perhaps.

Regardless, it is their company, their license and their risk. Even if they don't know what they are doing, it is their ballgame.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Hahahhahaha. Shirobako? "Hardcore" audience? Shirobako has one of the largest reaching audience since it focuses on adults, with careers and all.
That's assuming that "normal" adults with careers form a substantial consumer base for anime, which they likely do not. If they did, then shows like Human Crossing and Rumiko Takahashi Anthology would've been smash hits for Geneon back in the day. And in the case of Shirobako, we've got far more cute girls than one would expect in the real-life animation industry, with some anime industry in-jokes and "otaku animu" staples like yuri breast envy coming into play in the first episode. I have no doubt I'll like it, but I don't see it having much normal/casual appeal.

Quote:
Here, some numbers for you since you apparently have a very, very wrong impression.

On MAL Shirobako has almost 80,000 members. That is people who either have watched, are watching, or want to watch the show.

On MAL Majestic Prince has almost 30,000 members.

Now, of these two shows, which do you think would be smarter to dub? Surely the one that had a reach of 50,000 people more right? Nope! Majestic Prince got a dub. Pretty stupid right? Just shows the incompetence of Sentai.
But this is MAL we're talking about, where people don't even want to watch legal streams, let alone buy North American discs. (They've been infected by the "legal streams and non-Japanese discs don't really count, so you may as well pirate" anti-industry talking points.) Higher user numbers there mean more revenue for bootleg streaming sites like "smoochanime" than they do for Sentai/CR/etc.

I don't know Sentai's decision process on Majestic Prince, but maybe they saw a numerically smaller but more passionate fanbase big enough to make a dub worthwhile.
konxeptionz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm just happy that Shirobako is getting a BD release at all.

Is it frustrating to fans that Shirobako isn't getting a dub? Sure thing. I think that is a valid reason to be a bit upset. However, Sentai has gone back and done dubbed re-releases with exchange programs in the past, as in the case of Dog and Scissors and Maid-Sama.

I just love Anime in general and I will remain optimistic that we might get a chance at a Shirobako dub in the future. If not, I'll still be happy with my BD release.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Also disappointed in the lackluster release for Shirobako. I'll still get it of course but the series deserved more and I definitely think Sentai is really underestimating it.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Also happy that Shirobako is even getting a release here. They can always do another edition of it at a later date. Not like that's ever been done before.

Will guess they just need to gauge how well it's going to sell sub only first? And of course I will not be waiting until such time, I'm definitely buying this initial release. Along with more Space Brothers. Life is good.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I definitely think Sentai is really underestimating it.

I think some fans are overestimating Shirobako's popularity. Shirobako is a great anime, beloved by many fans in these forums, but I am not convinced that will necessarily translate to a lot of sales.

Don't get me wrong, a dub (especially if it is well made) would be wonderful for Shirobako, but, like others here, I am glad it is at least getting a BD release.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I definitely think Sentai is really underestimating it.

I think some fans are overestimating Shirobako's popularity. Shirobako is a great anime, beloved by many fans in these forums, but I am not convinced that will necessarily translate to a lot of sales.

Don't get me wrong, a dub (especially if it is well made) would be wonderful for Shirobako, but, like others here, I am glad it is at least getting a BD release.

I heard about it because of word of mouth on Twitter. It seems very popular to me. I think you are also underestimating it.

And it's not even the lack of dub that bothers me it's the fact that the release is so boring for such a great series. This is definitely a series that deserved a collectors edition.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
And it's not even the lack of dub that bothers me it's the fact that the release is so boring for such a great series. This is definitely a series that deserved a collectors edition.

I am actually with you on this one. I wanted Sentai to do a CE for Shirobako that perhaps could have included all 24 episodes spread out in 3 BD's (something similar to NISA's Nagi no Asukara PE BD would have been ideal). Sentai could have shown more love towards Shirobako with a nice physical release that did not have to include a dub.

I hope in the future Sentai considers doing special edition releases for some of their sub-only titles.
konxeptionz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I heard about it because of word of mouth on Twitter. It seems very popular to me. I think you are also underestimating it.

I think both of you offer great points.

I also heard about it through word of mouth and found the series to be rather enjoyable too. I think it offered a great take on how the Anime culture in Japan really is. Plus there are characters that I think everyone can relate to.

However, I can understand Sentai's decision to not dub it. It could possibly be a daunting task to make sure all the cultural references are done correctly in the ADR script. Or it could possibly be that whatever information they look at doesn't support the need for a dub in this series. Or it could be a bunch of other things that they take into consideration that they cannot and will not disclose to us.

But again, I'm just happy to get a BD release. And I will be crossing my fingers for a possible dub re-release with an exchange program in the future. If that does happen, I hope that the two of you will join me in line to get our hands on that copy.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
I first heard about Shirobako when I first started watching it back when it debuted. Their decision not to dub it, my decision not to buy it, sounds fair and typical for them.

I would like for them to dub it, sure, and I'd like them to release a standard BD of Chuunbiyo and the complete edition of Beyond the Boundary and the BD of Chuunbiyo 2...

Their track record is junk, their decisions senseless and their recent catalog is questionable at best.

When I didn't have money, I had all these great titles to choose from but now I have money, I'm allowed to buy the same shows in the same format I can get streamed for free.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/akame-ga-kill-box-set-contents-revealed
Quote:
[Please do not include images that distort the forums' formatting ~Zalis]

AKAME GA KILL! BOX SET CONTENTS REVEALED!
11/5/2015 10:12:35 PM

You cheered for Night Raid and Tatsumi as they battled an empire on TV, and now the Akame ga Kill! Limited Edition Premium Box Set is finally here to sate your bloodlust once again!

Fans like you have been clamoring for any information on what would be included and when it will be revealed. We’re very excited to say that that time is now, so join us as we go through everything that you can expect to find in this very special collection.

CHIPBOARD BOX

The outer box is heavy chipboard that gives the set a nice, weighty feel. There is artwork on both sides, and the spine for Collection 1 and the upcoming Collection 2 create one whole image. When you put both together, they will look absolutely amazing on your shelf, so make sure to get that second half too!

DVD/BLU-RAY COMBO

The Akame ga Kill! Collection 1 Limited Edition Premium box set will come with both Blu-ray and DVD versions of episodes 1 – 12, uncut and uncensored. We wouldn’t want you to miss out on a single drop of blood, after all! Each disc will have its own unique disc art, featuring a member of the Night Raid team. Disc Extras include:

Akame ga Kill! Theater
  • Tatsumi and Leone
  • 1 Minute Meals
  • Hot Springs
  • TV Shopping, Part 1
  • Glasses
  • Esdeath’s Fun Class on Torture
  • Field Trip
  • The Tale of Estaro
  • Interview
  • DX Incursio
  • Girl’s Bar
  • TV Shopping, Part 2

Japanese Promos
Clean open and close animations

PACKED WITH EXTRAS

The Limited Edition Premium Box includes an inner extras box featuring additional artwork on both sides, housing all the extra goodies that come in the collection, which include:

LIMITED EDITION POSTER

The included double sided poster is not available anywhere else and features the titular character, Akame, on one side. What’s on the other side? You’ll have to find out when you open your set!

STICKER AND TATTOOS

You may recognize a few of the tattoos included in the Collection 1 set. Esdeath’s infamous chest tattoo is recreated, giving everyone who buys Akame ga Kill! a chance to live out their darker, colder sides. Other tattoos are included as well, representing symbols that make an appearance throughout the series.

The Akame ga Kill! Sticker is an exact replica of the title art work, and is die cut around the edges for a cleaner look. It sticks to almost any surface, so make sure to choose wisely whenever you’re ready to use it. I stuck mine on the back of my laptop.

HARDCOVER COLLECTOR BOOKLET

The included hardcover booklet contains 100+ pages full of Akame ga Kill! info, ranging from character specs and cast commentaries, to detailed explanations on the infamous Imperial Arms. Special Note: the booklet is faithfully recreated from the original Japanese booklets, which contains a number of black and white as well as full color pages. Spoilers abound, so make sure to read with care, guys!
konxeptionz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
My pre-order is in. I'm stoked to own both boxes to complete the key art on the chipboard box.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I am so glad Sentai is doing what looks like an amazing looking Collector's Edition for Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun. Sentai is being very smart because I am sure Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun will be one of their biggest sellers for 2016.
konxeptionz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
My pre-order for this set will be in as soon as they release their solicitation for it. I will safely assume it will be in March or April of next year.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
TRSI links:

Maiden Japan
- Vampire Princess Miyu (TV): Complete Collection [Repackage] - 650 minutes - $49.98 - 3/29/16

Sentai Filmworks
- Celestial Method: Complete Collection (DVD) - 325 minutes - $49.98 - 3/22/16 [sub only]
- Celestial Method: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - 325 minutes - $59.98 - 3/22/16 [sub only]
- Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun: Complete Collection (DVD) - 300 minutes - $59.98 - 3/29/16
- Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - 300 minutes - $69.98 - 3/29/16
- Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo LE) - 300 minutes - $129.98 - 3/29/16
- Those Who Hunt Elves: Complete Collection (Sentai Selects) - 600 minutes - $39.98 - 3/15/16
- Utawarerumono OVA: Complete Collection (DVD) - 85 minutes - $29.98 - 3/29/16
- Utawarerumono OVA: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - 85 minutes - $39.98 - 3/29/16
- Waiting in the Summer (TV & OVA): Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - 325 minutes - $59.98 - 3/15/16 [sub only]
- When They Cry - Higurashi no Naku Koroni: Season 1 Collection (DVD) - 650 minutes - $49.98 - 3/15/16
- When They Cry - Higurashi no Naku Koroni: Season 1 Collection (Blu-ray) - 650 minutes - $69.98 - 3/15/16
- Wizard Barristers: Complete Collection (DVD) - 300 minutes - $59.98 - 3/1/16
- Wizard Barristers: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - 300 minutes - $69.98 - 3/1/16
- Wolf Girl & Black Prince: Complete Collection (DVD) - 300 minutes - $49.98 - 3/8/16 [sub only]
- Wolf Girl & Black Prince: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - 300 minutes - $59.98 - 3/8/16 [sub only]

Clipped via PR...
Quote:
Title: WIZARD BARRISTERS COMPLETE COLLECTION
Published by: Sentai Filmworks
Distributed by: Section23 Films
Run Time: 300 min.
Street Date: 3/1/2016
Format: DVD, BD
Language: English & Japanese with English Subtitles
SRP: $59.98, $69.98

Title: WOLF GIRL & BLACK PRINCE COMPLETE COLLECTION
Street Date: 3/8/2016
Language: Japanese with English Subtitles
SRP: $49.98, $59.98

Title: THOSE WHO HUNT ELVES COMPLETE COLLECTION
Published by: Sentai Selects
Run Time: 600 min.
Street Date: 3/15/2016
Format: DVD
SRP: $39.98

Title: WAITING IN THE SUMMER COMPLETE COLLECTION BLU-RAY
Run Time: 325 min.
Format: BD
SRP: $59.98

Title: WHEN THEY CRY SEASON 1
Run Time: 650 min.
SRP: $49.98, $69.98

Title: CELESTIAL METHOD COMPLETE COLLECTION
Run Time: 325 min.
Street Date: 3/22/2016
SRP: $49.98, $59.98

Title: MONTHLY GIRLS' NOZAKI-KUN COMPLETE COLLECTION
Street Date: 3/29/2016
Format: DVD, BD, COMBO
SRP: $59.98, $69.98, $129.98

Title: UTAWARERUMONO OVA
Run Time: 85 min.
SRP: $29.98, $39.98

Title: VAMPIRE PRINCESS MIYU COMPLETE COLLECTION
Published by: Maiden Japan
Run Time: 650 min.
Format: DVD
SRP: $49.98

---EDIT---

http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/monthly-girls-nozaki-kun-premium-box-set-contents-revealed
Quote:
MONTHLY GIRLS' NOZAKI-KUN PREMIUM BOX SET CONTENTS REVEALED!

11/19/2015 9:21:50 PM

The moment many of you have been waiting for arrived earlier this week: the Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun Premium Edition Box Set was announced! Today we're going to delve a little deeper into what all you can expect to find in your box set, but first let me tell you why this set in particular was a such a big deal.

Initially, Nozaki-kun was scheduled to be a subtitled only release. This also happened to be around the time that a few people started inquiring about the release on our Ask Sentai blogs. It was then that we asked you all to let us know if you wanted a box set for the release, and of course, the response was pretty big: tons of fans messaged us on Twitter, left us messages on facebook and Tumblr, and sent requests to our info email. We even got requests from local fans at our Alamo Drafthouse screenings, specifically mentioning the Ask Sentai blog. Now, this is pretty typical for any release that we put out, and usually there's a few requests here and there for box sets of those titles, but the influx of demand for a Nozaki box set was simply staggering. Good job!

After compiling all of your requests into something simpler to look through, we sent them over to the difference makers around here, urging them to rethink the release strategy for Nozaki, even as more and more people kept inquiring on Ask Sentai and our social channels. A few weeks (and a few meetings) later, the Nozaki-kun box set was born. :)

So, this is why we believe the Nozaki box set to be so important, enough to call it one of the biggest announcements of the year: because enough of our fans demanded it, enough people spoke up to request it. A big thanks to all of you who made this happen, we couldn't be happier with the outcome!

OK! Let's get started.

CHIPBOARD BOX

The Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun Limited Edition Premium Box Set will come housed within a heavy chipboard box, so you get a nice weighty feel to it, the way every box set should feel. ;)

Remember, all artwork here is subject to change, so what you see may be different from the end product.

DVD/BLU-RAY COMBO AND SOUNTRACK

Within the chipboard box you'll find the complete series, episodes 1 - 12, on both Blu-ray and DVD. Special on disc features include:

Nozaki-jun Shorts - 6 short 3 minute vignettes featuring characters from the show:
- Is That Handsome Boy Just a Friend or Her Boyfriend? Parts 1 and 2
- The Correlation Chart That Connects Everything
- It's Summer! It's the Ocean! It's Training Camp!
- Me of the Sun...Which Do You Think Shines More?
- The Happening is Being Turned Into a Shojo Manga

Promos

Commercials

Clean Open and Close Animations

The Nozaki-kun shorts are all that you've come to expect from the main series and more. They are definitely something you'll want to watch imemdiately after watching the last episode.

SOUNDTRACK

Along with the Blu-ray/DVD Combo, you'll also be getting a soundtrack loaded with songs from the show. The soundtrack comes in two discs and is jam packed with tunes, over SIXTY in all. The music in this show is catchy as all hell, so I'm sure a lot of you will be putting this to good use!

STICKERS AND POSTER

The Nozaki box set also includes a set of super cute die cut stickers of Nozaki, Chiyo, Mikorin, Hori and Wakamatsu, as well as a large poster pictured below (stickers and posters are not the same size, fyi!)

SPECIAL BOOKLET

The included booklet contains everything you would ever want to know about the Nozaki characters and much, MUCH more. Along with Character Profiles, you'll get staff discussions, character interviews, small features such as Mikorin's Art Modeling Journal, Life with Hori and Kashima, Seo vs. Wakamatsu, and a ton of other awesome stuff. There's just so much to go through, I'm about halfway done. :)

Last edited by WTK on Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 31