• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NANA -- general discussion.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mika Miaka

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
Just to throw this question out there -- do you guys think Takumi is in love with Nana?

I don't know what to think -- I know that he cares for her and would protect her from the world -- but do you think he loves her enough to protect her from everyone -- including himself?

I could imagine a few infidelities in their marriage, and honestly, I can see Nana putting up with it. It makes me sad, and I really want closure for their relationship. The lack of closure in this series is too realistic.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, lack of closure is going to be an issue until the series is actually finished, at least, so there's not much to do about that.

As for Takumi, I think he does love Nana but I don't think he's in love with her. I think the person he's closest to being in love with is Reira but even that one I wouldn't necessarily call him being in love with her.

But I do think he genuinely cares about Nana and the baby, perhaps as much as he can given the circumstances.
Mika Miaka

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote
I think you are probably right about his being in love with Riera, if indeed he is capable of being in love at all. Good point.

I am aware that the series is still ongoing, but what I meant about the lack of closure was more general, I suppose.

For example, the way her first bf broke up with her and got with Sachi was horrid. I couldn't believe he did that -- and I don't think there is closure here even though they had some time to talk later on in the series.

I guess I am, we are, always used to seeing the heroine of the story be THE ONE, but as far as Hachi is concerned, she isn't THE ONE for Takumi either.
Alestal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
I recently bought this series off of iTunes and I have to say, nana o's voice acting is TERRIBLE, Nana has lost all of her confidence and maturity. Possibly the worst interpretation of such a popular character ever. Hatchi's voice quickly grew on me and I accepted it, junko's was portrayed from a different angle and did well. I liked how they kept quite a few of the original lines, this wouldn't have been possible if Nana K's voice actor wasn't able to talk so damn quickly.I'll keep watching.
delariean

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you want to watch it subbed, go to Hulu...they've started posting the show in subtitles...

Same problem as before...A little Pain is NOT the 1st ending so I am gonna say that it is a rights issue with getting that song in the anime and in any soundtrack that may be released here... :cry:
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
delariean wrote:
Same problem as before...A little Pain is NOT the 1st ending so I am gonna say that it is a rights issue with getting that song in the anime and in any soundtrack that may be released here... Crying or Very sad

The soundtrack is already being sold here and has been for awhile. I have one of them and A Little Pain is indeed on it. CDs aren't region-locked so you just import them.

I really am confused as to why there would be an issue with A Little Pain, since it was written/performed for the show itself. And the other OLIVIA songs are still being used, at least from what I've heard.
delariean

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
delariean wrote:
Same problem as before...A little Pain is NOT the 1st ending so I am gonna say that it is a rights issue with getting that song in the anime and in any soundtrack that may be released here... :cry:

The soundtrack is already being sold here and has been for awhile. I have one of them and A Little Pain is indeed on it. CDs aren't region-locked so you just import them.

I really am confused as to why there would be an issue with A Little Pain, since it was written/performed for the show itself. And the other OLIVIA songs are still being used, at least from what I've heard.

I got just one song from ITunes...a little pain wasn't on it...might as well import it....still its a bit of a disappointment to not have it in the anime....
ThoranX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
just watched this for the first time even if they do make another season i can't say I like where its headed Sad
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Ai yazawa wrote this story to rip your soul apart. It literally tears your heart out of your chest. And the story beyond the anime is still incredibly sad as the anime was but also it's still incredibly good. NANA seriously makes me want to soak up huge quantities of booze. And now that Yazawa is in burn-out, the chapters of the manga don't come out, and, like it's in a **CRITICAL** part of the storyline... She put out some chapters with insane foreshadowing then just stops writing, makes me want to bite stuff.

I do hope they make a 2nd season though... But that would surprise me.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
epixeltwin wrote:

I would be more surprised if they didn't make a second season, given that the manga is arguably the most popular shojo manga ever (at very least it is one of them). The odds of them not trying to get even more money out of it seem slim to me.

Really the only surprising thing (and this is a pleasant surprise) is that they haven't tried to go beyond the story of the manga yet, in either the anime or the live action.
JGonspy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
epixeltwin wrote:

I would be more surprised if they didn't make a second season, given that the manga is arguably the most popular shojo manga ever (at very least it is one of them). The odds of them not trying to get even more money out of it seem slim to me.

Really the only surprising thing (and this is a pleasant surprise) is that they haven't tried to go beyond the story of the manga yet, in either the anime or the live action.

I had heard in an interview with the director that they do plan on making a second season, but they're waiting for the manga to finish, which obviously is going to take a while with Ai Yazawa still not back to 100%.

I'm guessing she holds enough clout to ensure that anything done with the series is only done with her permission. She seems to be very careful with the titles she creates, which is rather admirable. It's almost as though she would never let someone do something with one of them that she wouldn't feel comfortable advertising in the back of her books.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote
Definitely will be well worth the wait. And if they get the old cast back together... *w*
Alestal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
epixeltwin wrote:

Me too. And while they are at it, why not create a spinoff(of a spinoff) of Paradise Kiss!?!

I just picked up the first volume of NANA and it was kinda disapointing because it's just a big prequel featuring stuff I already knew from the anime (which I've watched 5 times).
reiko_rage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
After such a long time of lagging, I finally finished watching NANA!

.... But was pretty disappointed with the ending. Sad Yes, I agree with posts above, in that it left too many questions unanswered!! GRRRR. I want a Season 2! But I did like that there was a good sense of closure with Shoji and Hachi.

Oh and I loved how Nana looked in her disguise in the second to last episode. It reminded me so much of Caroline from ParaKiss!
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:05 am Reply with quote
I recently finished NANA as well. It was almost a Masterpiece but for one small detail; Hachi and Nobu's relationship sprang from almost nowhere. And as that relationship - and how it ended - defined the rest of the series, like tendrils it adversely affected much of the show. I just couldn't buy into drama caused by a relationship breakup which lacked the "relationship" part. Oh, and that annoying lady at the end of each episode who was supposed to be our navigator but instead spent most of her time flogging CDs and assorted merchandise.

But I have to give credit to the impressive realism displayed in the show, and the often-ugly emotional honesty the show and cast displayed. Even as characters made bad mistakes and went through tough times I kind of felt sorry for them, because it made them seem more human, and that's like the ultimate stage of characterisation.

A great show, and I whole-heartedly recommend it to any serious fan of Anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8