• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NANA -- general discussion.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xia83

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I decided that after I finish a couple of the show's im watching- i'm going to start Nana up again.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
poo, I can't believe all my hard work hypothesizing was a waste!
Anyway, I swear every time I think of Blast I think of the band Damone, which also has a female lead singer. And the opening bars in Nana's first OP are stolen right from "Now Is The Time."
rti9

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:51 am Reply with quote
I avoided all spoilers from last page, but I did notice that some people are reading the manga. To those far ahead in the story, from where the TV series ended, is there hope for a good second season? Did you guys like the story/character development from that point on? Spoiler free answers please. Think "in the overall".

Interesting to think about spoilers on the TV series. In the beginning, I was kinda annoyed by the navigator in the end of each episode, but later I felt that it was much better than having teasers of what was going to happen afterward. It seemed that the beginning of each episode had a greater impact due to this lack of spoilers.

rainbowcourage wrote:
And the opening bars in Nana's first OP are stolen right from "Now Is The Time."

Hm... according to Wikipedia, Damone's Out Here All Night (album featuring Now is the Time) was released on 2006-05-23. Nana's first episode was aired on 2006-04-05.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote
I think a second season definitely could be good, as long as it didn't deviate too far from the manga, which the first season did consistently. Things have been getting a bit more...complicated lately and sometimes it can be a bit confusing. But I think that anime is able to tell stories in a clearer way than manga at times (at least that's what I've found from my experience) so it could actually be better (I do consider the anime stronger than the manga most of the time, mostly because it can have music).

Of course, I don't think there's a point to doing anything until the manga has a conclusion, because I can't see it lasting long enough to make two more seasons (things do seem to be drawing towards a conclusion lately) and after following the manga so closely it would be a shame to create an anime-only ending.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
(I do consider the anime stronger than the manga most of the time, mostly because it can have music).

My thoughts exactly. While the manga has its own strengths (I think some of the little sight gags work better in print), I hate hearing the voices for the dialogue in my head and then coming to a page where one of the groups is performing and having it be 'blank'. And the best part about having music in the anime is that it's really good music to boot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:

rainbowcourage wrote:
And the opening bars in Nana's first OP are stolen right from "Now Is The Time."

Hm... according to Wikipedia, Damone's Out Here All Night (album featuring Now is the Time) was released on 2006-05-23. Nana's first episode was aired on 2006-04-05.

Just to be clear, I didn't actually think it was stolen; however if we want to get technical, consider the prep period for an anime (probably less than a year) versus the time a band is together before releasing an album (usually 2 years +) during which they are composing songs for their dreamed-about album, I'd say it's likely that "Now Is The Time" was composed first. It doesn't really matter anyway, I was just saying how struck I was at the similarity.
rti9

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Just to be clear, I didn't actually think it was stolen... ...I was just saying how struck I was at the similarity.

Oops. Sorry then, but in the end it was a good excuse to bring a link with the song you mentioned so we could compare it.

marie-antoinette wrote:
...because I can't see it lasting long enough to make two more seasons...

They are planning TWO more seasons? Shocked
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
They are planning TWO more seasons? Shocked

No, not at all. In fact, we don't even really have confirmation that they are going to do a second one, it's just an assumption.

What I meant was that we don't see a second one until the manga is over, because if they tried to do another season that didn't have an ending they would have to do two more in order to get the ending in and I'm fairly certain the manga won't last quite that long.
musk.stick

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
While it's only speculation/assumption/whatever you wish to call it, I would absolutely adore another season of Nana. As much as I love the manga, I'm really fond of the anime too *crosses fingers*

Murasakisuishou wrote:

While the manga has its own strengths (I think some of the little sight gags work better in print), I hate hearing the voices for the dialogue in my head and then coming to a page where one of the groups is performing and having it be 'blank'. And the best part about having music in the anime is that it's really good music to boot.

I totally agree with you there - Nana was a series that demanded good music, and they really stepped up to the mark. It probably has some of my all-time favourite anime music (or any music, for that matter) as its soundtrack.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:48 am Reply with quote
musk.stick wrote:
I totally agree with you there - Nana was a series that demanded good music, and they really stepped up to the mark. It probably has some of my all-time favourite anime music (or any music, for that matter) as its soundtrack.

I actually like the manga and the anime pretty evenly, although I love the music. However, I'll admit that a lot that I love about it is how accessible it is to others. My husband has no interest in NANA, while he thinks some of the storytelling mechanisms are interesting (namely the way the episodes begin and end with someone talking from a future point in time and making the viewer want to figure out why everything seems almost bittersweet if not flat-out sorrowful), he's not remotely interested in anything else. Except the music, that is. He listens to our NANA OSTs way more than I do. We have the singles for "A little pain" and "Wish" (his two favorites), the NANA Best ost, plus the two BGM soundtracks as well. Because he likes the music so well, it gives me a little bit of a chance to push for more NANA merchandise purchases, because we both get at least some enjoyment from the series. ^_-

That reminds me, I need to catch up on the Shojo Beat releases of the manga soon. I got so stuck in the mindset of a slow release from when it was in the anthology that I still haven't gotten used to the faster pace of release since it moved out of it.

I really hope they start soliciting for the DVDs soon. I'm not keeping my hopes up for an artbox, since Viz just doesn't seem to do that sort of thing, but I do want to get them owned as soon as possible.
rti9

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:07 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
...he thinks some of the storytelling mechanisms are interesting (namely the way the episodes begin and end with someone talking from a future point in time and making the viewer want to figure out why everything seems almost bittersweet if not flat-out sorrowful)...

Couldn't agree more with your husband. It's kinda like Romeo and Juliet. The narrator starts by revealing that it will be a tragic story, but you just can't help but hope for good things to happen to the protagonists. To me, the climax of the TV series was spoiler[the first episode Osaki started narrating. When I heard her voice instead of Hachi... I shivered.]
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:

I really hope they start soliciting for the DVDs soon. I'm not keeping my hopes up for an artbox, since Viz just doesn't seem to do that sort of thing, but I do want to get them owned as soon as possible.

Me too!!! It's been awhile since Viz lisenced it but maybe they are taking their time to make a great product. Still, I can't wait. I wonder if they are going to air it on network TV since it's so big (even non-anime fans would get into this series) but it's meant for an older audience. Maybe Muchmusic on a later timeslot.
musk.stick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:

...namely the way the episodes begin and end with someone talking from a future point in time and making the viewer want to figure out why everything seems almost bittersweet if not flat-out sorrowful

That was one of the first things that grabbed my attention about the anime - it wasn't something I'd ever seen in an anime before, and it gave it an interesting element of intrigue.

Quote:
It's been awhile since Viz lisenced it but maybe they are taking their time to make a great product

You know, I kind of forgot it had been licensed. Confused But, like Mylene, I would also like there to be an artbox.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
A second season would be great! I hope they do it. There is certainly enough material to accommodate one I'd say. The drama really kicks up a notch. I just read chapter 78 and I am totally floored by the latest events.

I won't give any spoilers because it'll be so much better for people to work their way through it to the end, but all I can say is , damn!
shavanna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
I heard there will be a next season of NANA next year.
I don't know if it's true, but if it is..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I hate the makers of the NANA anime, for the place they ended.
HOW CAN YOU END AN ANIME AT SPOT!!!
it is such an lousy moment...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8