• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Servamp (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
So Tsubaki-chan just needed a hug! Wink [Literally! Shocked ]

There was quite a lot of Tsubaki which i for one enjoyed, but overall this ending felt incredibly rushed and left me with so many questions that i can't even muster up the energy to start articulating them...it wasn't quite Gangsta-level, but not exactly satistactory either.

Well, there's always the manga, i suppose...

You took all the words right out of my mouth. I don't even really understand what happened during the key flashback that was apparently supposed to explain it all but explained almost nothing.

I think Mahiro must be connected to Sensei somehow though, else why does his weapon become the key Tsubaki's been looking for all series?

Someone go read the manga for me and tell me what happened. (Yes, that really was me saying that.)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I have no sympathy for Tsubaki. I am pretty sure it literally raining swords all over the city probably killed a number of people, regardless of shots showing only people indoors. What if some innocent child is at the park and then suddenly swords rain down? The flashback seemed to explain that Tsubaki was the victim of a random killing in ancient Japan where his entire family was killed, for some reason the doctor decided to turn in him into a vampire, feeding him information about brothers and sisters (Servamps) and how he is stronger than them. Tsubaki may have been getting better, but when the doctor was so suddenly killed by Kuro, he kind of broke for good. I kind of feel safe to say that Tsubaki did not save all of his subclasses out of an actual kindness, but instead because he wanted to find people just as broken as he was, that might sound like something deep and feel sympathy for, but is essentially the same motivation as the Joker from the Batman mythos. Apart from that he also an existential crisis, that did not know why he was made into what he is, thus why he pushes the fight onto the Servamps, but there are probably a good chance the same reason he was made one is reason he gets all of those subclasses, making him a perpetrator of the same crime committed against him, yet blinded by the crime due to an unwavering belief in their "parent".

Personally I am not a big fan of Servamp. It was no better an example than the time that somehow Mahiro's spear which was a broom before, now turned into a giant key like some sort of keyblade, that then allowed Mahiro to see into Tsubaki's heart. It did do some things well, as I personally believe that it had a pretty good grasp at tone and atmosphere. Times when it went all grainy and distorted were actually pretty cool. Like from the flashback we saw in this episode, to in general moment like where creepy cat thing inside Kuro. Although I think that some of it is marred by being a bit uneven through the series, where general tone kind of slides a bit, like at one point Kuro having a chibi form separate from his cat form. So it could be more silly, or it could be horror, or dramatic, or a different type of silly, or a different type of dramatic or serious by using the better tone techniques I mentioned above. But I don't believe it really transitioned between these well.

I could be a bit of a hypocrite with some things. I mean one show I quite enjoyed recently was Ange Vierge, which has some pretty odd shifts between serious and silly, where talks of friendship and the like are really cheesy and resolved in formulaic ways. I could see the opinion that my preference between the two might be that Ange Vierge has an entirely female cast, with bath scenes and yuri teases/themes. But I don't think that is it, instead I think it is that Ange Vierge does not take itself really seriously, it feels like it is having fun alongside the audience with its elements that are not so good, while I believe that Servamp tried to hard to be serious, it felt like it tried to hard and with too much conviction in what it was saying. I think that music was okay, and some nice visual gags, but it did not really have the fun that I would otherwise hope for with this sort of thing. On top of that I think it left too many things unaddressed, not really in the sequel hook kind of way, but about what it wanted to say in general about the nature of the Servamps.

I give a rating of So-so (5/10), it really did not grab my attention that well to be honest, even if I did get some mild enjoyment.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Merida wrote:
So Tsubaki-chan just needed a hug! Wink [Literally! Shocked ]

There was quite a lot of Tsubaki which i for one enjoyed, but overall this ending felt incredibly rushed and left me with so many questions that i can't even muster up the energy to start articulating them...it wasn't quite Gangsta-level, but not exactly satistactory either.

Well, there's always the manga, i suppose...

You took all the words right out of my mouth. I don't even really understand what happened during the key flashback that was apparently supposed to explain it all but explained almost nothing.

I think Mahiro must be connected to Sensei somehow though, else why does his weapon become the key Tsubaki's been looking for all series?

Someone go read the manga for me and tell me what happened. (Yes, that really was me saying that.)

Me three, me three!

I know there's the writing rule of "show, don't tell", but the flashback was too vague for me to understand what was actually going on aside from Tsubaki feeling left out by his siblings, so maybe some voiceover narration would've been neat. It was't a terrible ending, but the episode felt way weaker compared to how good the last two or three had been. I also wish we'd gotten an explanation about what's gonna happen with Hyde. If he didn't die, can't Tenshi-chan give him a new "object" to renew their contract?

I hope this show sells well -or that the manga gets a good boost- so we get a second season, it was way more fun than I expected it to be. Honestly I could watch a Greed Pair show every week. Rated it Very Good
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4