• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Katsugeki! Tōken Ranbu (TV)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:33 am Reply with quote

Katsugeki! Tōken Ranbu (TV)

Source: Video Game (developed by Nitroplus, published by DMM Games)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: ufotable

Genres: action, drama

Themes: Bakumatsu era, historical, samurai, swordplay

Plot Summary: The year is 1863 as the tumultuous samurai era is coming to an end, Japan is split between the pro-shogunate and anti-shogunate factions. The fate of the world is threatened as an army of historical revisionists are sent from the future to alter the course of history.

In order to bring these forces down and protect the real history, two sword warriors, spirits who are swords brought to life by Saniwa (sage), rush to Edo. The polite and thoughtful Horikawa Kunihiro and the short tempered yet skillful Izuminokami Kanesada, who served the same master, confront the invading army along with a lively gang of other warriors including Mutsunokami Yoshiyuki, Yagen Toushirou, Tombokiri, and Tsurumaru Kuninaga. As the fate of history lies in these hero's hands, what meets the blade is yet to be uncovered.

Air Date & Platform:
July 1, 2017 (Saturday)
Available on: Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll, Hulu

Episode Count / Runtime: 13 episodes
----------------------------------

Another series from the Touken Ranbu franchise. However, this time it's adapted by ufotable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Well, animation definitely improved thanks to ufotable working on this Touken project.

This imo also took on a more serious approach at the franchise compared to the other series; not to mention, there's actual more violence and even some blood. The world setting is what I had expected. For some reason, I find Kunihiro to be more likeable already. Kanesada is badass and he should be with since that's the type of guy he is.

I think it's a decent start. Wasn't a big fan of the Touken franchise but I'm impressed by the ufotable version so far. Oh and I think soundtrack improved too. I think this show is also going to be 1 cour again?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:15 am Reply with quote
Oh, this from the same series as that sword boys anime that I could only watch one episode of. This did look really pretty, which seems expected by being done by Ufotable, but also having gone through Tales of Zestiria the X, I don't think that animation alone can be what decide if something will be good to me. So in general despite some good presentation, I have my expectations fairly low right now.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen anything else from Touken Ranbu, but I'm enjoying this. Except for the kid's outfit, which seems too modern/British to fit in very well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1