• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Reveals Neo Yokio Animated Series Collaboration With Production I.G, Studio Deen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't get it. Is it a joke? Who is it aimed for? It seemed aimed at teens but then they started inserting random swearing.
I really don't get it. I feel like I can't even comment on whether it's good or bad because I can't tell if it's purposely meant to be bad and thus doing a good job, or if it's meant to be good but is just bad.
imi wakanai
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
God Netflix really does have more money than they know what to do with if they're spending it on this soon to be train wreck. Though I doubt that it will stop them from monopolizing on the Anime industry no matter how bad this show falls. Rolling Eyes
torchic91

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
They remade Kappa Mikey.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I figured this is supposed to be a parody of anime itself.

Dammit. See those storyboard credits? Now I'm really curious.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't care about Jaden Smith but I guess I'm the only one who's actually kind of curious to watch it and doesn't think it looks that bad?
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Wow, DEEN makes their Fate/Stay Night (2006) animation look spectacular by comparison!

And the writing and voice acting were Cringe!

You just saw studio deen and forgot that production I.G was also involved on this.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
Considering how this is the original language version, if a Japanese version is made, that would be interesting to see the dub vs. sub debate pans out.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:04 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest, after watching the trailer all I could think of is WTF! Of all the wacky, goofy, or just crazy anime and cartoons I've seen over the years, this one HAS to take the cake. "Hey Jaden, how about we make you a rich and popular kid with super powers and shoot energy balls like Goku, all while riding a Gundam!" /facepalm

All I can say, this confirms that Hollywood has officially ran out of ideas.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:08 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Considering how this is the original language version, if a Japanese version is made, that would be interesting to see the dub vs. sub debate pans out.

Ho, is very simple, at least for me (and I'm a subbed only fan).
This is a American show, so I'll watch in the original English. If it was Japanese i would watch in Japanese with subs. I always prefer watch in the original language.
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:49 am Reply with quote
"We're gotta teach all these old-money fucbois a lesson!" I see you bitch! You're wearing a tuxedo against a (can't make out what she's saying)....and it's sparkling!"...lol. The cast is pretty interesting though, and for that reason, I'll give it a whirl.
Konopan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:03 am Reply with quote
Kappa Mikey meets Bojack Horseman?
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:13 am Reply with quote
Was curious too see why this got such negativity. After watching the trailer, I don't really see it. Visually it looks the shows I liked as a kid. Will give this a try, it looks interesting.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:26 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Was curious too see why this got such negativity. After watching the trailer, I don't really see it. Visually it looks the shows I liked as a kid. Will give this a try, it looks interesting.

Well it's not supposed to be serious. But starring the guy from After Earth and being a leftover project from the same block that bought the world an animated adaptation of Axe Cop isn't a good sign.

I swear, the only thing I liked Jaden in was that Karate Kid remake. And Jackie Chan was doing most of the heavy lifting in that film because he's Jackie Freaking Chan.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
The hate for this seems over kill.

I thought the animation was decent overall but the action shots near the end were pretty bad (there was one with water that I liked though). Seems like your typical upper-low to mid budget show where maybe the first and last episode have some shots that are better than this but all the episodes in between are totally on par with this or worse. I didn't see anything that was like Gunslinger Girl Season 2 quality where they shook a still image of a car and tried to pass that off as animating a car chase. There's real deal shit show anime airing every week that make this look like some sakuga god series.

Voice acting seemed on par with all the anime that people NEVER bring up as an example of good US voice acting when someone tries to say that all dubs are terrible.

Overall, it it looks like bog standard low to mid tier anime that we see announced here every week and simulcasting like every day.

I was going to say I probably won't watch it (it seems like weirdo pretty boy humor like Nanbaka and all those shows I try to avoid like the plague) but then I heard someone say, "we gotta teach these old money fuckboys a lesson." I at least want to see what that character is like and will ride it out until they show up. I haven't seen an anime where a phrase like that would even have a chance of being said since Tokyo Tribe 2 and that was well over a decade ago.

Fallenmessiahx wrote:
The character designs look like they were done by a high schooler in 2003 who just got into anime. The animation looks very low budget as well. Guess all the money went to paying for Jayden Smith....what anime fan cares if he does a voice?

You say that like it's impossible for someone to like Jaden Smith and anime. One is a person and one is a storytelling medium. They're so disparate that it seems really weird to me to think that if you like one then you clearly couldn't like the other or be interested that one is getting involved in the other.

Plus, anime has featured clothing from real designers and touted that as like a sign of quality and a reason to watch. Because there's fake cartoon versions of clothes in it. Jaden Smith is far from the oddest thing anime has done to get people to watch.

harminia wrote:
Who is it aimed for? It seemed aimed at teens but then they started inserting random swearing.

This is said as if swearing just to seem cool totally isn't a thing teenagers do. And they only cursed like one time. You spin it like it's Panty and Stocking and they were spewing profanity every 3 seconds. People have cursed in anime dubs and then didn't immediately mean the show could no longer appeal to teens or that clearly teens just won't like it (because teens are saints with virginal mouths that hath never uttered such profane language?)

Stuart Smith wrote:
Netflix original series seem about as prestigious as direct to video movies are the more I see of them.

-Stuart Smith

Everyone has their own opinion but what you're doing is someone acting like Westwood, Game of Thrones, Sopranos, True Detective, etc are joke shows and being an HBO Original is like a clown title. Imo, it would say more about how unaware you are of media trends then any legit statement about HBO shows. Same goes for Netflix. They proved themselves years ago and company after company is following suit, but you're still head in the sand as if it never occurred. They have the financial success and critical acclaim to come about as close to making a subjective opinion "wrong" as you can get.

-Mr. sickVisionz
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
Definitely watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7