• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rent-A-Girlfriend (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:20 am Reply with quote

Season 01: Rent-A-Girlfriend (TV)
Season 02: Rent-A-Girlfriend (TV 2)
Season 03: Rent-A-Girlfriend (TV 3)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 35 volumes, by Reiji Miyajima)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: TMS Entertainment

Genres: comedy, romance

Themes: college

Plot Summary: In Japan, the lonely have a new way out — online services that rent out dads, children, even girlfriends. When Kazuya's true love dumps him, he's just desperate enough to try it, and he's shocked at how cute and sweet his rental girlfriend turns out to be.

But she wants to keep their "relationship" a secret, and there's a complication, she goes to his university, their grandmothers are in the same home, and they live next door to each other. Then Kazuya finds out she's not nearly as nice in "real life."

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: July 10, 2020 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 02: July 1, 2022 (Friday)

Season 03: July 7, 2023 (Friday)

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 1: 12 episodes
Season 2: 12 episodes
Season 3: 12 episodes

Total: 36 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I liked it well enough, as much as Kazuya was pretty out of line for how he criticised Chizuru in a way that felt like getting closer to being incel. As odd and a little sad the idea of paying someone to play the part of a girlfriend, there is nothing morally wrong with her doing so if she is upfront.

I think that I will continue watching.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:02 am Reply with quote
1:

Quintessential rom-com, love it or hate it.

But I will give it to the show: at least it's not bland. It tries to be interesting, and it is to some effect. I don't think I'll be surprised by anything this show has in store: there's going to be plenty more hijinks down the road, and Kazuya and Chizuru empathize with each other already and will eventually like each other. The only question mark is Chizuru's motive for this part-time work; I don't think it's anything revealing. It's probably more pragmatic than anything else.

I can forgive the lighthearted clichéd rom-com setup, even if it's lifted straight from the rom-com playbook. I hope it just doesn't bore me too much.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:06 am Reply with quote
2:

You know, it could've gone two ways with the whole ex-girlfriend:

#1: Despite Mami belittling Kazuya in front of everyone, Kazuya still takes it and goes along with her (which is what happened). Ichinose's going keep telling Kazuya to just man up, which he eventually will.

#2: Because Mami was belittling Kazuya in front of everyone, he manned up because although he's pathetic, he's not that pathetic (which didn't happened but I sincerely hoped for). Ichinose gets a better impression of him, and they both grow closer. It's not really different from #1 because eventually we will get there anyway. But the show intends to stretch out Kazuya's patheticness a little longer, instead of progressing towards other interesting subplots. I just wish the development happens sooner.

Both scenarios are trope, but let's be real: the show itself is a trope. One way or another, we all kinda know what's going to happen in the end right. Maybe a curveball or two would make things a little interesting, but I'm not banking on it to happen.

How much does Kazuya have to "cry" out over Mami...
shuddup.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:01 pm Reply with quote
3:

A beach episode at #3? That's quick.

The show's just f**king around with its own characters. I know that hijinks is part and parcel of rom-coms, but dumping Kazuya and Chizuru in the same situation three times in a row (and definitely more to come) is just shameless, even for a rom-com.

Kazuya's pathetic. That's a fact. But there's one thing clear about him: he's decent enough to defend Mizuhara's character. That's the sole redeeming quality about him. Mami's... well, she's a b*tch. It's clear Kazuya is her plaything; she's not serious about him, but she can't stand anyone else having him. Typical. Kazuyaーwho represents the masculine density prevalent in men, might I addーwon't be able to see through Mami because 1) he's too dense to realize, and 2) he's too horny. But if he can continue to defend Mizuhara, then Mami's not going to get what she wants.

That's the whole crux of the hijinks.

Last edited by ACxS on Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Spazuya needs to grow a pair. This is getting painful to watch. And I don't think I've ever seen a show depend on coincidences so much before.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen a show depend on coincidences so much before.

You haven't seen Baccano then?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I have seen it, but thanks to my garbage memory, I don't recall the coincidences there.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:30 am Reply with quote
Kazuya is indeed incredibly frustrating to watch. It really also frustrates me how much Chizuru tolerates Kazuya. I know there's a grandma related reason as to why she continues to work with him, but there has to be a point at which she just can't deal with him anymore. And honestly I think that point should have been reached already and it's only some plot magnet that keeps her around.

I still think this show is entertaining but damn Mami may literally be the devil incarnate but even she might be more likeable than Kazuya.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:14 am Reply with quote
I forgive Mami her trespasses because she's a hottie. Nope, nothing superficial about me!
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:51 am Reply with quote
4:

Kazuya manned up. Great. Marvelous. Now he has to do it again, with his grandma. Please let it happen. We're finally getting somewhere.

I can confirm something important about Chizuru, which I've felt since day one: she's the kind who will go to some lengths to help someone out, even if it's pathetic Kazuya. It's just her character. Logically she doesn't even need to go on the boat ride with Kazuya; there's really nothing in it for her to help him further. She just feels bad if she doesn't, after Kibe tells her Kazuya's story.

Let's be clear about one thing: the whole charade lasted longer than needed partly because Chizuru hasn't stopped helping Kazuya out (I don't blame her, of course). Also, because the show can't bear to let this plot device slide. And of course, they're throwing in yet another plot device now, a dramatic one at that.

The crux of the show remains to be Chizuru's decision to work as a rental girlfriend. Maybe we will learn about it next episode... a hot spring episode (because why not? A rom-com isn't complete without one, right?).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:53 am Reply with quote
ehh.... the whole charade in the beginning with the grandma in the hospital was for comedic purposes...
the goal was to have funny accidents forcing the main characters to stick together and even pretend to like each other in order to avoid even bigger problems and confusions.

You see how Kazuya keeps running into Chizuru in all kinds of different places, causing even a bigger mess each time and forcing them to keep pretending they are together.

I think that's not such a bad comedy plot to be honest.

ep.5 should be great too.

Sadly, the actual reason for Chizuru working as a rental girlfriend is related to a whole bigger story arc that falls out of the coverage of season 1.
(maybe they can mention it in an OVA or something... who knows).

Chizuru is by far the most complex and detailed character going through the most development and background story. The anime barely scratches the surface of all this.

Season 1 is basically like the introduction of each of the different characters (girls) and how they are all tied up to Kazuya's story.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:39 am Reply with quote
5:

Kleenex should have sponsored this show.

Yeah, another meetup, this time in a hot spring. Sure, why not. Third time's a charm, so why not fourth, ammarite. This show's soaking up the hijinks as if its life depended on them.

New girl next episode. In rom-coms, there's the trope Love Interest. There's always one; the only question is what kind. Tsundere? Chizuru's taken that role. Clingy Jealous Girl? Girl of the Week? Romantic Runner-Up? Childhood Friend Romance?

Find out next!
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:43 am Reply with quote
6:

srsly why is kazuya so sexually frustrated

...is Ruka also a rental girlfriend? That's the first thing that occurred to me. In fact, it's strange this hasn't occurred to Kazuya, and more surprisingly, to Chizuru. Kazuya too perplexed over "how could a guy like him score with a girl like that" (ironically)?

Because right now, if I were one of them, I would be asking "why is Ruka so interested in whether we're really an item"? I still can't confirm her archetype yetーRomantic Runner-Up is still probableーbut we'll know soon enough.

srsly any time one says "next time we'll straighten things out with gran", i should take a shot
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:58 pm Reply with quote
7:

spoiler[Pfft great, she's a rental girlfriend and a Clingy Jealous Girl. The Clingy Jealous Girl. Whoopee.]

So let's just clear things up: Ruka knows that Kazuya likes Chizuru (which she saw right through), and Chizuru wants Kazuya to date her because 1) she feels sorry for her, and 2) she doesn't want her to blow their cover. In short, when Chizuru is the rental girlfriend forced to pose as a real girlfriend, Ruka's the rental girlfriend who wants to become the real girlfriend. Great. Whatever. For all we know, Chizuru is Ruka's rival who will eventually turn into her Big Sister.

But wait...

...did the show just info-dumps you Ruka's backstory? Really, the entire original source wedged in the ED? Why, because the show's ain't got time to explain it?

Ruka: "*You have no idea how long I've been following Kazuya!"

*See ED for more info

Really, just like that!? God, that's half-assed af.

So what's next? We see... some guy. Possibly a "love rival who's not really a love rival, but just a plot device to bring Kazuya and Chizuru together". Aka, the reverse-Ruka. Because seriously at this point, why not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5