• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
TONIKAWA: Over The Moon For You (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:36 am Reply with quote

Season 1: TONIKAWA: Over The Moon For You (TV)
Season 2: TONIKAWA: Over The Moon For You (TV 2)
Season 2.5: TONIKAWA: Over The Moon For You ~High School Days~ (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 23 volumes, by Kejiro Hata)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Seven Arcs

Genres: comedy, romance, science fiction, slice of life

Themes:

Plot Summary: Nasa meets a "generally cute" girl named Tsukasa on the day of his high school entrance exams, and immediately falls in love with her. Nasa confesses his feelings, but her response is that she will only go out with him if they get married. Years later, on Nasa's 18th birthday, she suddenly appears to get married. Thus begins Nasa's newlywed lifestyle.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 1: October 2, 2020 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 2: April 7, 2023 (Friday)

Season 2.5: July 12, 2023 (Wednesday)

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 1: 12 episodes
Season 2: 11 episodes
Season 2.5: 4 episodes

Total: 27 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I would never have guessed this was created by the same genius who created Hayate the Combat Butler, one of my favourite anime comedies of all time. I say that because even though the premise of Tonikawa is obviously absurd, the first eppie kind of played it straight. There wasn't much attempt at humour, really. Anyway, I'm sort of intrigued. We get so little anime dealing with married couples that I'm willing to check this out even with the absurd premise. Hopefully, it will get funnier.
leconv

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:01 pm Reply with quote
eager to see how good is the anime port. overall tonikaku cawaii is a funy soft romcom about the discovery of what is married life. it will be good fun, for sure.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

This is shaping up as a drop for me. I'll give it one more episode, but if I feel the same way I did after this one, I'm gone. It's just too slow-paced and not funny enough for me. And I'm not super invested in either character. The way dude panics at any hint of intimacy is already tiresome. Hard to believe this show came from the same mind that gave us Hayate the Combat Butler.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I am pretty sure that I have seen a few comments in places of people enjoying this show, but I would not put myself among the group that was actually excited watching it. It did not super connect with my like I would have hoped, the concept is cute, and it sets itself beyond many other romantic series skipping a need to have characters wonder if they should be together since they get together almost immediately. But it also makes some elements that are slow and stuff also feel a little frustrating. The last episode felt like a final moment where the characters decided actually to be more intimate in a more forward manner. Also good moment when the series pulled the baindaid by letting the sister find out that they are together, and making her character more interesting.

One element that also kind of feels like it stuck out a bit was the ojousama character with the maids, I think she had a crush on Tsukasa. It wasn't that it was these character types exactly, but the way it felt presented kind of felt like it has become a bit old now, the sort of thing you would see in Nogizaka Haruka's Secret and Hayate the Combat Butler, not super old but things that still feel like the noughties. Not a super surprise then that the creator is apparently the same author as Hayate, in some ways you would almost not be surprised if the other mega mansions of the series showed up, or Chitose goes to Hakugo Academy. But maybe I would also not say reminds me of my favourite parts of Hayate, since it kind of felt like the setting took a little bit of a shift when the rich mansion becomes a part of the series, and Hayate worked best when things got silly. Things mostly felt grounded.

Not really grounded though is the hint that Tsukasa is in fact Princess Kaguya. There is hints starting from how she was not affected by the truck at the beginning, a moon rock was apparently among her possessions at the mansion, and she is well versed in history to the point that she is actually bored on the subject. It is practically kind of annoying that they kept dangling these hints, but otherwise felt like it was looking really hard for a story. There is nothing wrong in theory to have something more fantastical dangling in the story as you focus on small things that can mean a lot to individuals, but a lot of the time it was not super interesting. An exception I can think of was when we found out Tsukasa is really into movies, and for Nasa... maybe how he was not too concerned with having many belongings and could be practical in ways.

My rating would probably be Decent (6/10), although it really makes me wonder if I was my younger self I might have given it a higher score. But that is how I feel now, it was worth watching, but I wish there was more for me to like beyond a bit of a cute concept.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 5:06 am Reply with quote
I have to admit being a little surprised that there is no discussion at all about the second season here. The second season is just as good as the first season so far and very charming. It is also giving a bit more crumbs as to who or what Tsukasa really is.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 3:41 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying it. I think I'm not posting on it for the same reason I'm not posting on Bear Punch, or that I didn't post much on Bofuri: I didn't Want to Have a Manageable Title so I Talked a Lot about Maxing Defense, or Grace of the Gods. For me, when a season 2 of a pretty low key, enjoyable show picks up where season one left off and doesn't $#!+ the bed, it's a happy thing. At least, it's much better than shows that slowly deflated in front of my eyes (Like The Devil is a Part Timer IMHO) or self destructed (The Promised Neverland, though to be fair, I didn't watch much of season 2, so I might be slandering it).
But it's not something I feel compelled to write about when there are so many shows and so little time.

I think the tone is just a tad wackier than the first season, and it's not like the first season didn't have people passionately screaming nonsense at the drop of the hat. But it's working for me. I really enjoyed the cousin who acts like a yakuza, and the adopted grandma was fun.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 9:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it is a solid show and has the same qualities the first season had. Some romance and plenty of fun and crazy antics. There is something to be said for appreciating second seasons more for staying the course and maintaining quality.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:55 am Reply with quote
Things got a bit spicy in the newest episode. I also agree with Nasa on that a sauna is not at all fun. Every single time that I hear people talking about how you just have to learn to appreciate the heat and bear through it I just think nah, I am good.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 11:37 am Reply with quote
I was kinda hoping Nasa's cousin and the crazy bathhouse sister would get some sparks going. That would be a promising side story IMHO.

And yah, things did heat up a bit, (pun unintentional). I love a good sauna myself. I find the key is loose posture and slow breaths through the mouth so the nostrils don't get all singe-y.

Can't say saunas ever struck me as a good place to get hot AND heavy though. Might sound good on paper or look good on film I suppose.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Eh, no matter the situation, I tend to prefer cold over heat. I can appreciate an ice bath for example. As for the episode of this week, it seems we are slowly getting some more bits of history when it comes to Tsukasa and her supposed immortality.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:40 am Reply with quote
So according to ANN, Moon Over You is getting a mini-series this summer.

"The new anime centers on the series' protagonist Nasa, who is asked by his junior high teacher to hold a class in an all-girls high school. The students end up seeking Nasa's advice about their love problems. On the other hand, Tsukasa pretends to be cool, but is actually nervous knowing that Nasa is surrounded by young high school girls."

That's kind of out of the blue. Not that I'm complaining.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Interesting final episode. Some more cute moments, but also more bits about the bond between Tokiko and Tsukasa and there being some kind of wish that concerns the moon and how a rock from the moon is not enough and took a 1.000 years to achieve. Maybe Tsukasa wants to visit the moon? Would be kind of ironic when your husband is named Nasa. The couple has also moved out and into their own new apartment.

It was a fun season that introduced plenty of new characters and some actual story to keep things fresh. Up next is the girl high school arc.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:27 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
It was a fun season that introduced plenty of new characters and some actual story to keep things fresh. Up next is the girl high school arc.

No complaints here. I think this is one of the most successful sequel seasons around. It kept the show's vibe without losing any momentum, which is hard to pull off.

So it sounds like the girl high school arc is part of the manga?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:34 am Reply with quote
It is indeed part of the manga, from what I heard it is a fun chaotic arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2