• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Warlords of Sigrdrifa (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:57 am Reply with quote

Warlords of Sigrdrifa (TV)

Genres: Action, Military

Plot Summary: One day, "Pillars" appeared on earth and became a threat to all life. The sudden appearance of a god called Odin was the only reason humanity survived. His method of fighting the Pillars was to grant flight via mechanical "hero wings" to chosen beautiful young girls called Valkyries. After many years, humanity's battle against the Pillars continues in the sky, with women fighting in their battle wings with men as their support staff. Japan is no exception, and when a Pillar appears on Mt. Fuji, three Valkyries confront it. They are joined by an ace pilot from Europe to continue the counterattack as Ragnarok grows ever closer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Naturally, when fighting against a powerful, presumably alien threat, you'd want to use aviation technology that is anywhere from 100 to 75 years old. It's only logical. Ah, but I'm not gonna punch holes in the typically wacky premise. Cute girls flying cute planes, why not? I like the character mix: the ditzy one, the shy one, the responsible one and low-key killing machine. Would have been cool if they used Wagner's "Flight of the Valkyries" at some point but maybe Apocalypse Now ruined that for any other work of entertainment/art. Anyway, good enough to get me to watch more.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:27 am Reply with quote
I wonder if there is any real understanding of a certain level of irony in Claudia being called a grim reaper, when that is essentially what Valkyrie are in mythology, they would take the souls of great warriors on battlefields to Valhalla and I think to eventually have them fight again in Ragnarok. In regards to the villains, they are being called Pillars, but I kind of wonder another idea would be to have Jotnar, the Giants.

Here am I being a nerd when it seems pretty clear that this show mostly just wants moe somewhat angsty hijinks with weirdly archaic planes, despite all the other examples of more advanced jets. A little jarring.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:09 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 1

Naturally, when fighting against a powerful, presumably alien threat, you'd want to use aviation technology that is anywhere from 100 to 75 years old. It's only logical. Ah, but I'm not gonna punch holes in the typically wacky premise. Cute girls flying cute planes, why not? I like the character mix: the ditzy one, the shy one, the responsible one and low-key killing machine. Would have been cool if they used Wagner's "Flight of the Valkyries" at some point but maybe Apocalypse Now ruined that for any other work of entertainment/art. Anyway, good enough to get me to watch more.

If any anime were to use "Flight of the Valkyries", it should have been Macross decades ago since the fighters in there were actually called, you know, Valkyries! Legend of the Galactic Heroes could get away with it too, since the Galactic Empire's fighters were also called Valkyries, or more correctly, Walküre.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:48 am Reply with quote
If an anime were to use "Flight of the Valkyries", it'd be GATE which used "Flight of the Valkyries" in its scene where lunatic helicopter pilots aped the scene from "Apocalypse Now".

Monkey see, monkey sit on his helmet to protect his junk from errant arrow fire.

Anyways, it's not the last ride out before Ragnarok yet so it's a little early for the Wagner. Great show, amazing production values, I absolutely cheered when Miyako jumped out her plane to wield a surprise katana though I did wonder what she pulled from her shrine. A sword she planned on using was nowhere near to making the list.

On one hand, we have the actual Odin shown in forms of young boy and old man and actual Valkyries... 9 Named Valkyries and the one covering Japan died so they need to explain that one ASAP as undying warrior maidens are by definition undying.... and on the other hand, we have aliens... weird that it didn't occur to me to use the word "actually" here...

Wait... from TVTropes: Ragnarok was the story of how most of the Aesir... Norse Gods... and the greatest Jotuns died in a battle against each other.

Gotterdamnit.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:25 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Wait... from TVTropes: Ragnarok was the story of how most of the Aesir... Norse Gods... and the greatest Jotuns died in a battle against each other.

Yep. Other elements include entities like Jörmungandr, the world serpent, moving from the ocean to the land.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Laughing

That was the best episode yet, or really the only one yet to get a strong reaction out of me, and it was all out of actually not taking things seriously. It did do an interesting element of almost horror in being on the ground during the battle while seeing effects, and then after a bit of a wakeup it was mostly comedy. A swimsuit episode even, where there was like even very little explanation for why they had to be put into swimsuits along with all the guys being in loincloths, I will put a guilty pleasure admittance that it was all kind of nice. I even like how their weird slap thing had them admit that they did it too quickly so that they could do a slower look at the girls, and even some of the girls go into it later.

Pretty Boy was probably my favourite. I loved how he just showed up, would fall down, and then without explanation will be back again as the characters themselves were confused. So much did not make sense, like how he would have to be used as a bridge, and then all the men were a bridge, and then there was a water slide, and somehow a natural cavern came up in a swimming pool. I know some would complain about not necessary, but I say that episodes like this are totally necessary, probably my one complaint is that there will not be any more episodes like this. And oh god the ED, that had me laughing with the girls all being penguin kindergarteners, and Odin as a magical girl.

Still will say that not every joke was great. The jab at the woman being "old" for not hearing the tone is not really cool.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:08 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Still will say that not every joke was great. The jab at the woman being "old" for not hearing the tone is not really cool.

The interesting thing is that the jab is based on real science. There's actually a few frequencies that we lose our ability to hear as we age.One of the things that I found interesting about that is the fact that I am one of the rare people that can still hear those tones that most people my age are unable to.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Was I seeing things or was Claus really into the guys in loincloths? Stoic and professional but she will slap her butt with the best of them when called upon.

I expected that from Miyako but Claus? Girl's got unexpected sides to her.

The pillars primary targets are planes but if they don't see any of those then their secondary is those with divine protection? So Odin is sending out his Valkyries waving big red flags in big red planes saying "HERE WE ARE"... Valkyries are regular people but have been granted special abilities which so far have only been described as being able to fly the divine aircraft supplied by Odin... So he supplies the humans with targets one and two and no one thinks "Hey, Odin, what's up with that?"

Third target would seem to be "anything that moves" but that would just be incentive to stick with one and two which means the humans now depend on Odin to...

Is this some sort of protection racket?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

The interesting thing is that the jab is based on real science. There's actually a few frequencies that we lose our ability to hear as we age.One of the things that I found interesting about that is the fact that I am one of the rare people that can still hear those tones that most people my age are unable to.

I know that it is based in real science, I just think that it is a bit low hanging fruit to make fun of a female character because she might be older.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man, I have such a soft spot for these kinds of shows (the sort of "military family" show), and it's an itch that doesn't get scratched very often. I think Majestic Prince was the last one (and even further back, the questionable Gunparade March). Nothing particularly surprising happens, but it still hits like a bag of bricks for me.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
That went dark fast. How do you go from slapping your butt literally to getting your butt slapped figuratively? I was impressed initially but upon reflection, they didn't just kill off almost all the new characters, they only killed off the new characters. And I can't say anything positive about that throwaway line: "Not only was I, your base commander, sent to an auxiliary base just in case but also the bridge bunnies too."

Wait. They had their entire chain of command in a direct line of sight of a broken spot in a pillar that connected to another dimension where a giant immobile thing sent out en energy wave that wiped out everything in its path? Odin better be dead, otherwise he will have some explaining to do.

Visually stunning throughout and Thor's attack was amazing but from the story's perspective... yeah, they needed to kill off one of the three here, most likely Miyo. Adding a bunch of new characters just to kill them off soon after isn't as stake raising as they want or need it to be.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Yup. I mentioned Gunparade March above, which is a show that took out a main character half-way through, which meant her absence was felt pretty clearly, while this is more of a return to a few episodes ago.

Still, even though it clearly pulled its punches a bit, it worked for me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Note, when you want your friend to come back in an anime, don't do a whole bunch of death flags.

Possibly of interest, Odin said he can say more in Valhalla. Valhalla is the "hall of the slain", it is supposed to be where the Valkyrie take the souls of warriors to. Although we had a bit of bad brought back from the dead characters as enemies, I would not be surprised if characters come back in other ways. Such as that all the characters that just died went to Valhalla.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:29 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 7

Note, when you want your friend to come back in an anime, don't do a whole bunch of death flags.

It's pretty much rule number one of any military-themed anime. Don't make any plans until you actually survive the mission! My very first memory of that rule is Roy Focker in the original Macross.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2