• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai (2020).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:05 am Reply with quote

Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai (TV 2020)

Source: Manga (completed @ 37 volumes, written by Riku Sanjo, illustrated by Koji Inada)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Toei Animation

Genres: action, adventure, drama, fantasy

Themes: demi-humans, demons, dragons, monsters, sorcery

Plot Summary: After the defeat of the demon lord Hadlar, all of the monsters were unleashed from his evil will and moved to the island of Delmurin to live in peace. Dai is the only human living on the island. Having been raised by the kindly monster Brass, Dai's dream is to grow up to be a hero. He gets to become one when Hadlar is resurrected and the previous hero, Avan, comes to train Dai to help in the battle. But Hadlar, announcing that he now works for an even more powerful demon lord, comes to kill Avan.

To save his students, Avan uses a Self-Sacrifice spell to attack, but is unable to defeat Hadlar. When it seems that Dai and Avan's other student Pop are doomed, a mark appears on Dai's forehead and he suddenly gains super powers and is able to fend off Hadlar. The two students then go off on a journey to avenge Avan and bring peace back to the world.

Air Date & Platform: October 3, 2020 (Saturdays; Crunchyroll)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:22 am Reply with quote
A shame there hasn't been any discussion of this! Well, I suppose this sub-forum usually sees a lot less traffic than the Talkback one.

DQ's cast has an unexpected amount of depth in it for what looks like just a typical DBZ-esque shounen title at first glance; or, Dragon Ball-like, even, with the child-like designs and lack of difficult obstacles or major character conflicts in the first few episodes.

Since then, though, the cast has really grown up, as have their problems. spoiler[Popp], especially, is almost unrecognizable as of Episode 67 (the latest on CR, now), when compared with the spoiler[cowardly, incompetent, lazy mage] we first met. And, his long-simmering secret is finally out! I'm pretty excited to see what happens next episode, between him, spoiler[Merle, and Maam. I also find myself especially hoping Merle isn't dead; which is weird, because normally I'd be irritated if she survived something like this, as writers often use 'fake-out' deaths as a kind of cheap audience stimulant. Here, though, I feel like Merle, especially with her romantic secret also out in the open, makes for a much more interesting social dynamic alive than dead. I also just kind've feel like it'd be kind of a shame if this was the end of her character; I've been kind of waiting for her to become somewhat more regularly central to the plot's main conflicts, and not just kind of hover around in the background all the time. Hopefully super-Popp will manage to pull her back from the brink.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1