• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:23 am Reply with quote

Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World (TV)

Genres: Action, Military, Romance, Fantasy

Plot Summary: For years, a great war has raged on between the scientifically advanced Empire and a paradise of witches known as the Nebulis Sovereignty. This age-old battle sets the scene for a fateful encounter between two young combatants: an imperial swordsman, Iska, and the witch princess, Aliceliese. As sworn enemies, they vow to cut each other down in order to unite their worlds, and yet Iska finds himself entranced by her beauty and righteousness, while Aliceliese is moved by his strength and resolve. In the midst of a never-ending war that forbids them from being together, they have no choice but to destroy each other-or find another way. (from manga)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Seems thoroughly average BUT I am a bit of sucker for tales of star-crossed lovers. I also like that even though magic is obviously an important element, they are using a modern setting as opposed to Ye Olde Generic Fantasyland. We'll see how it goes.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:46 am Reply with quote
I thought it was pretty average until Alice starting bawling her eyes out at the play she and her maid snuck their way into, a tale of star crossed lovers. She's a sucker for such stories, you see...

It's a nice touch and a good character moment. Still, I'm just going to call her Alice and not "Aliceliese". I have to ask, is this from a Light Novel? The author started naming her and didn't know when to stop. Come to think of it...

"Our Last Crusade Or the Rise of a New World" Kind of reminds me of a movie, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade or the Triumph of the Third Reich.
Grendel8
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Right now the show has done enough to make me continue watching. Here's hoping that this turns out to be better than expected.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I find myself getting drawn into the Ice Calamity Witch - Imperial Swordsmen relationship. I was a little dubious as to whether I'd be sticking with this title, but it is definitely growing on me.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:20 am Reply with quote
I find this show a bit lame, but it's watchable. Kinda standard, generic stuff I'd expect from a LN adaptation. I'm not really feeling the relationship between the main characters. I kinda like the Ice Witch's aide/maid though for whatever reason.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I would kind of say that it is lame in the sense that it almost feels like it would be ableist to make fun of it too much, like you also want to encourage the show to do its best, compared to something like Magatsu Wahrheit that feels like it is trying way too hard.

Still not actually good so far, though. Like, was he actually still given his position after he helped someone escape? The proper response by I think a commanding officer in seeing the ultra powerful founder is to whine to the enemy that it is unfair that there is only two of you? It is not obvious that it is super freaking weird that she was clinging to that handkerchief like it was something super precious rather than just something she kept in her pocket to think about occasionally? Will there be some sort of blowback on the magic side in their super powerful magic of the founder being seen in the neutral zone?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I thought Iska was given back his position because he's the only one who can use those two magic killing swords, weapons of his former master/mentor. If his mentor's gone then Iska had to come back to service.

I'm enjoying this series as I think it's doing a great job of showing how Alice and Iska fit together. Alice is looking for the mage Iska freed and on Iska's end, he has orders not to kill Alice but just to capture her; For both, the stakes are still fairly low for both but the return of the instigating party should cause both sides to push their agendas onto Iska and Alice.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I actually hadn't noticed the random lone white strands of hair that sprout out of everyone's heads but since Gigguk pointed it out in his video I can't unsee it now. It looks ridiculous.

Anyway Iska is destined to be with the wrong girl since cutesy Captain is clearly the best girl.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

The captain... named Mismis Klass? I kind of figured Mismis was her last name... I figured she got infected/powered/possessed but what I didn't expect was that she didn't end up escaping to the Sovereignty. In fact, I think it was pretty odd that it never came up as one of her options for actually living a free life as I imagine this random infection is what happened to the witch Iska freed previously.

So Mismis' options were:
1 Give herself up and possibly live the life of a prisoner under constant survailence
2 More likely, give herself up and get executed immediately.
3 Hide her condition among people who have skills to find such magic indued people as long as they can until....

And they really went with the third option which isn't a decision but more of a wish?

But what I didn't expect was that the one to go to the Sovereignty was Iska because Rin drugged him in a neutral city and Alice kidnapped him in a neutral city. I guess that's one way to move the plot along. The next move should be Iska meeting the girl he saved but as the way this series has been going, he'll probably end up accidentally killing the Queen, creating a power vacuum and setting her children against one another for the throne.
No wait, what Iska will do is make it possible for one of her children to kill the Queen.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7.

I really loved this episode. The way this episode handled the Risya character was masterful. Nameless from earlier in the series was a joke but by the end of this episode, I found Risya to be terrifying. The escalation they did was fantastic, from joking about the mystic mark... "Guys, she knows it's real"... to the idea that she sent her crew through a checkpoint only to be waiting ahead for them... they were surprised but not alarmed?... to the fact that she was able to watch them from a distance... "She doesn't need them here at all, what is she doing?!"

"Risya, do what you will."
"I plan on doing exactly that."

Ok, they are a distraction, she sent three of her troops into a heavily fortified prison under false pretenses of rescuing a comrade as a distraction. And she did it as being friendly as possible to a victim of circumstance who's only crime was being far too loyal and way too trusting.

Luckily for Mismis, Iska happens to be in... prison city Alcatroz and yes, I am ignoring how those bridges are suspension bridges like the Golden Gate Bridge... but instead of being in one of the prisons, he's in a four star hotel.

Risya is trying to recruit the prisoner/recluse Salinger... yeah, I'm ignoring that one too.... but for the first time in this series, I'm rooting for either Alice, Iska or even Mismis to take someone out.

I mean, there's evil and that's fine but there's no need to be down right despicable to your own troops.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Risya, a dual citizen of the Sovereignty and the Empire, after using magic to free the mage stealing psycho Salinger by destroying the prison tower she call Mismis to say "You're going to have some prison guards looking for escaped mages, tee hee!"

Rin and later Iska split off to face Salinger but neither Alice, Rin or Iska know Risya's there... everyone wonders how the tower blew up but in the confusion they forgot it wasn't Salinger and Mismis neglected to tell Iska that Risya-chan is there as well?

It's a good set up for mage kill Salinger versus Iska with mage killing swords...I expect Mismis bringing the swords in wasn't part of Risya's plan... and while Alice tries to bring the situation under control, Risya will see an opportunity to show Alice...

That she's a member of the Royal Family, isn't she? I don't think she's a mere mage employed by the Empire, I think she's using the Empire to strike Back... sorry... at the Sovereignty Royal family.

She's in a far too powerful position in the Sovereignty to be a gofer for the Empire but she also spends too much time in the Empire "tee heeing" to be taken seriously there.

Great episode that both had me laughing at Alice leaving Iska handcuffed in their hotel room with a "have fun by yourself while I risk my life" to an "awww" when I realized she left the key under the handkerchief.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 11.

There's a number of things that checked out but there's a number of things that leave me scratching my head, namely how no one in the Nebulis family know Sisbel was taken prisoner by the Empire- and if the Empire wanted a true blood mage then didn't they have one with Sisbel? Or didn't they know they have the daughter of the queen? Wait...

The whole thing feels like a trap but I don't know why, how or who. .... Risya with the Empire... and Noa of the Sovereignty... are working together playing the spy for the other side....
Is Noa Nameless? Argh, all the people with masks in positions of power... regardless, I think Risya is Noa's younger sister? Maybe? Something's got to start to connecting.

I hope there's another season, I need another season.
Wichhunt, the Empire know of one witch so they sent an automated witch fighting robot there but instead they get three. This may not go well for anyone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1