• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:29 pm Reply with quote

Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle (TV)

Plot Summary: Princess Syalis is trying to get a good night's sleep. Long ago in olden times when people and demons lived together in disharmony, a demon king kidnapped a human princess and imprisoned her in his castle. Bereft, the princess's subjects beat their chests in anguish until a hero arises to the rescue. While she waits for her knight in shining armor, the princess decides to wile away the long hours by sleeping, if it weren't for her pesky insomnia.
----------------------------------

The key art makes it look like it'll be kind of goofy, maybe slice-of-life, fantasy comedy. I might give it a shot, later, after I catch up on other things on my plate.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it is very goofy, but quite enjoyable! It's actually one of my favorite shows this season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:09 pm Reply with quote
It has been my favourite show of the season so far. I would say that one of its best aspects is that it sounds like it might be at risk of the damsel in distress trope, where her agency is very limited because she is kidnapped, but them she has so much agency that she is practically a walking disaster to everyone else.

Picking up one of the funniest segments were when she infiltrated the ice demons, killed their leader, and got the other demons to use him to make an igloo for her, plus adding in some of the seals because they are cute.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

This episode felt like it had the most story, in terms that of making it even more clear that the Demon King, Twilight, has getting the hero strong enough and to the castle as a goal. Would seem that the demons are practically having to babysit to have the hero able to succeed, since he keeps getting lost. I thought that there was going to be some dig about gamers often going purposefully the wrong direction to see everything. Well, Syalis accidentally destroyed all their stuff so she could do laundry, and other attempts to help the hero, with a creepy statue, did nothing from the hero somehow ending up where their journey started.

Also were shown Syalis' mother, who is new, and trying to follow her advice of not ruining royal pride somehow led to the entire castle on high alert while Syalis was doing practically nothing. And then Syalis being terrible at trying to give Twilight a sleep, because she certainly was not going to lend her bed, and she doesn't want to lose the castle if he did die.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Finally had the succubus girl show up, who the princess thinks is asking to be a body double and puts her through the ringer. Funny when she tried to pass off being lectured to her "body double". A little surprise that no connection was made to a succubus often being associated with dreams, not just sexy time that was not mentioned because this show is too "pure". A big difference to how Syalis acts around the succubus over the Harpy.

Going to be sad that next week will be the last episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

One of those shows that are going to be sad to see go. Went out in a bit of fashion by having them return to her home... to get some underwear, and they all know at this point it is better to just go along with what she wants. It is a given at this point that she understands the demons are not bad, and even that she sees a preferable future where she could stop the fighting. But woolen panties comes first. The funniest turns of the episode have to be when the cleric threw the succubus as a body double, the queen apparently not realising it is not her daughter and the succubus terrified over the situation she found herself in. And also when the head paladin started recounting stories of Syalis, for which the king and cleric stayed because they wanted to hear them, which increasingly frustrated Syalis as her dark past was getting revealed. The hero is responsible for her tongue complex. In the end Syalis plays the part of the demon king as to kidnap Succubus and turn things back how they were, how terribly acted it was added to the humor, and apparently the queen approves in seeing how much fun her daughter is having. Was the queen actually fooled when she went so far as to say the demon king is cute, not knowing it is her daughter, or actually more aware?

Also. the queen has been the narrator, the one who comments on how well Syalis did on her missions. Not sure if that should have been picked up since she spoke in an earlier episode.

Anyway, I love this series, I would totally be up to a second season, and I generally give praise for how it managed to take what might seem like a limited joke, and make it a very enjoyable series. Just a fantastic show that plays on tropes, messing with expectations, and just the right kind of art to go with it. You don't need something like hyper detailed, but just the kind that keeps everything punchy and the right energy level. I think my favourite parts of Syalis' design is when it broke the standard design to add punctuation to what she was thinking. The show also looked beautiful too. Lots of interesting designs too, just all fun.

From the first episode I was pretty sure this was to be my top show of the season, and did not disappoint in the least. My rating is Excellent (9/10), the show is just so delightful that if possible I would just keep watching. It might also touch a personal love of fantasy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1