• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Adachi and Shimamura (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:15 pm Reply with quote

Adachi and Shimamura (TV)

Genres: romance, slice of life
Themes: yuri

Plot Summary: Adachi and Shimamura, two young women who attend the same high school, are inseparable friends. Whether playing table tennis, chatting about favorite TV shows, or just relaxing together, they're happy to share their days. When Adachi's friendship turns into romantic attraction, the relationship begins to change, one day at a time.
----------------------------------

Wasn't initially interested till I saw two things:

1) Adachi's played by the Akari Kitou (VA for Nezuko in Demon Slayer).

2) Director Satoshi Kuwabara worked on Master Keaton, an excellent reference for slice of life.

One odd thing: after looking up some Wiki info, I discovered the manga of this was actually published under a shounen label.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
One odd thing: after looking up some Wiki info, I discovered the manga of this was actually published under a shounen label.

Odd, but common. Most shounen stuff will add one or two non-fighting titles, to try and broaden the reader base. I think it is a diminishing return thing, where if they have 5 to 10 or whatever number of fighting/action/adventure titles, a couple of which may be hits, one more shounen probably isn't going to bring in more of that audience, so instead they add something different. Same expense as one more of the same, but probably a better return.

Just my two bits. Hope this show is good, I'm not finding much I like this season, so may start it later.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:55 am Reply with quote
I'm really trying hard with this one, but damn, it's a bit of a slog. I don't mind SoLs, I understand that things move at a snail pace but even with that understanding, this feels like molasses running uphill in January. Part of my issue is that I haven't really bonded with either of the leads. Honestly, I haven't been made to care about their relationship. Adachi (the dark haired one) is super anti-social (except with respect to Shimamura, of course) and Shimamura is anti-social too but more in a "eh, human interaction is kinda troublesome, so whatevs" kind of way. Just not a set up I find compelling.

Having said all that, even though the show isn't doing it for me, it is a well made show and I could imagine it working like gangbusters for anybody on its wavelength. That just doesn't happen to be me. However, note that I haven't dropped it yet, either.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Has gotten to a bit of a point of yelling at the screen for Adachi to say something, since she is super aware of her affection for Shimamura, to a point that it should start being obvious to Shimamura.

This show does move at a super slow pace. And also weird that the astronaut from Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl is also in this show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:05 am Reply with quote
Thank God she is. I love that show. She's one of the things making me stick around.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:05 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
This show does move at a super slow pace. And also weird that the astronaut from Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl is also in this show.

That turned me off from the first episode. Belief in the core concept should have been enough, it didn't need ridiculous shenanigans not involving the main pair to sell itself.

Also... I just don't like ET. Oh and apart from the first four episodes, I was more than underwhelmed by Ground Control to Psychoeletric Girl, I probably should have lead with that.

I haven't dropped it like TN or WW but I may just watch it all at once.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

So slow, not only is there no confession, I don't think there has been much of a hint of whether Shimamura even likes girls. People called the main heroine of Bloom into You as a likely ace person because she did not have the feelings she expected, but there is almost nothing from Shimamura, when she has two female friends who likely have a crush on her. Kind of feels like the other two friends, the ones who kicked off this staying over thing in this episode, would have more of something in terms of a relationship, since it seemed more clear there was something mutual there. If there was something hinting at Shimamura being gay, I missed it.

But I would say the show did have one good storyline, from like an episode or so ago, which had Adachi somewhat drifting away because she has no confidence in the possible redefining of her relationship with Shimamura who had made new friends in their new class. I would say it was good how it had like some random fortuneteller convincing her not to let her dreams be dreams, and darn what other people might think if she can be with Shimamura. Kind of feels like that being late is unfortunate since Adachi was finally pushing herself forward in actually trying something.

Although, I would be pretty close to wondering if Shimamura's mother should suspect something, that at least this friend of her daughter who acts a specific way around her daughter. That she seems so introverted, and yet practically aggressive in getting close.

Anyway, my rating is Decent 6/10), I did not lose my time, same sex stuff is fairly rare, especially that does not feel at least a little exploitive, I just wish more happened.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1