• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Skate-Leading Stars (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:54 am Reply with quote

Skate-Leading Stars (TV)

Themes: sports

Plot Summary: Figure skater Kensei Maeshima stopped his career when he met rival Reo Shinozaki. Some years after, Maeshima, now a high schooler, uses his physical talent to help other clubs with various activities, while never committing to any one thing. One day, he sees a press conference where Shinozaki announced that he was shifting from single skating to "skate-leading." After that, he met a boy named Hayato Sasugai, who knew of Maeshima's single skating career. Sasugai invites Maeshima to the world of skate-leading, or competitive team-based skating.
----------------------------------

Episode 1 is out on Funimation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, Yuuri on Ice it ain't, but that's ok. The skating looked fine to my eyes. So far it mainly feels like a formula idol series with skating instead of singing, with all the standard personality types and conflicts and character designs. Don't care for the lead seiyuu's voice at all, but it's not Asta-levels of irritating or anything. Uchida's great in lots of other roles he's done, but he's added a faint rasp to his voice that sets my teeth on edge.

But I'm still looking forward to seeing the sport they've created, and there could be more than meets the eye, story-wise. I'm in.

I'm wondering if the OP wasn't finished before they released this to Funimation? There are an awful lot of black screens with credits for an OP.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

I really wasn't that invested in the show. Most of the characters did not really interest me, and no real character dynamics really caught my eye. Feels a bit weird where at the very end the rival just did what he did.

My rating is So-so (5/10), just does not feel like there is much for me to discuss and did not really catch my attention. Probably some people got really into it, but for me it largely felt like show about figure skating that did not really want to be bothered to know how figure skating worked so made up a sport to have a group of boys do stuff.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it kinda got to be a chore to watch toward the end. But what ticked me off the most was they never told us what their score was! I was ok with the "suspense" of the time skip, but I figured they'd circle back to show us the final score, but they never did. Trying to guess what they'd get was practically the point of greatest interest for me, like glasses-bro calling everyone's scores from watching them practice. Smile But then they whiffed on that one thing I wanted from them. Boo. For awhile I wasn't even sure they'd tell us who won!

So the skating did look nice, what little there was of it, but somehow it never managed to emotionally engage me like the performances in YoI. The swordplay looked like a recipe for disaster, but cool if no one loses an eye I guess. They had the best costumes too.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I wanted this show to be so much more than it was. And I think at the very beginning it was maybe...or maybe I was just still more hopeful. Yuri On Ice probably heavily influenced how much I was looking forward to this...but alas, this show was no YOI. I didn't hate the premise, I didn't hate the skating, there just wasn't enough emotional to invest in somehow. I still think there was more potential than there was actual show. 6/10
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:14 am Reply with quote
Lol, I'm still salty about the competition outcome. And the final score is...psych! time skip, ha ha! Their one last chance to wring some emotional beats from this, with showing us their joy/relief, the reactions of the other teams, something, anything, and they cut it off at the knees. And since they won, why wasn't Red picked for the national team? Were they only taking 3rd years? I was so distracted by ~who won? are they going to show us how that played out?~ that I couldn't even absorb the afterstory they chose to belabor instead. Grrr.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1