• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster Girl Doctor (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:14 am Reply with quote

Monster Girl Doctor (TV)

Genres: Harem, Comedy, Ecchi, Fantasy
Themes: Monster Girls

Plot Summary: In the town of Lindworm where monsters and humans coexist, Dr. Glenn runs an exemplary medical clinic for monster girls with his lamia assistant, Sapphee. Whether receiving a marriage proposal by a centaur injured in battle, palpating the injury of a mermaid, or suturing the delicate wounds of a flesh golem, Dr. Glenn performs his job with grace and confidence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Aren't comedies supposed to... I dunno... have some comedy in them? I'm already tired of Snake Girl's jealousy schtick, but something tells me it's going to happen multiple times in every episode. Sign. Another one showing signs of an impending drop.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:27 am Reply with quote
Yeah, a lamia being jealous is tired before she is even introduced to be his partner.

This being a monster (girl) show has some benefits that I am bound to be interested, but I also like to think that I have high enough standards to be able tor criticise things I don't think work too well. First is I think actually its ecchi elements, that worked in Monster Musume and of course Interspecies Reviewers, but I am not too big of a fan of it put here for the heck of it where the gimmick is being a doctor working on them. It rubs me a bit the wrong way where you have a minotaur moaning sexually when she is supposed to be being check for lumps in a breast exam, it just makes the whole thing feel exploitive. The centaur being held down too as she moans from having her hooves filed and shoes fitted, you can certainly put some not so nice sexuality to that. I kind of think the whole thing might work better if it did not sexualise the examinations and stuff, like you could have it more incidental as we see their bodies in a more academic sense. Shoes itself was a nice bit, I would have been fine for animation to be cut for of like a diagram that goes into details and measurements.

Also not happy just from something like the minotaur being so different between the sexes, males having the bull like head and females a more human head. I like some consistency instead of just feeling like the monster girls are made to generally feel as unproblematic at all except for a few quirk elements, while the boys are to feel as least sexually threatening as possible. The lamia is apparently not a nurse but a doctor, the main character's senior at that, but so far in this episode it also felt like she was assisting as a nurse, along with most of her personality being around him. This is just the first episode, but I kind of wonder if a decision could have been made to have her be the main character instead, a more experienced who is like a titular monster girl, and he be the junior doctor following her lead. It might have felt instead like she had more agency and was protecting her naïve junior rather than just jealous.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

What to say about this show finishing I wish that I actually enjoyed it. It was not on the bottom of my list, but honestly did not feel like it had enough to offer. Some of it feels like it copied a bit too much from Monster Musume, you have a lamia, centaur, harpy, mermaid, arachne, flesh golem/zombie and cyclops. Only missing a slime and oni, but I guess having a dragon.

I think the worst part is that it is kind of boring, I do think that my earlier complain still stands that it missed it chance at taking a more... I think the word is "medical" look. It has touches in places, so it does not totally fail to live up to its name, but in a show where we are meant to have a medical mind to things, we have bits like a lamia that seems to randomly change length. If I remember correct, Monster Musume even went into what the diets are of the monster girls, which included that the centaur as a herbivore is particular about vegetables taste, while the harpy has little preference but likes meat. I think that I might have been interested in more cultural elements of the different races, which it approaches in places like the harpy village, their homes built on the sides of steep slopes or cliffs. Although now I am kind of wondering if the architecture with the large poles matches the fact that harpies would not be able to use their arms in building, and some idea of them using their talons to work.

The setting involves a city that apparently is like a beacon of bringing the different races together, but it does kind of feel like a bit of a copout that a special dragon from heaven is the reason why. Feels a little bit like they could have just said an angel from heaven rather than a dragon, not that a dragon in a general humanoid form is bad, but could have done more than wrapping a dragon up as an act of god or something. Probably my problem that I kept getting distracted by the flesh golem character, probably because of my mismatch of D&D knowledge, where all golems are by nature vessels animated by combining with an elemental, Flesh golems being air/storm elementals, rather than any part of people that made up the flesh.

And I just did not enjoy the harem stuff that much. I don't like how Glenn apparently cannot respond to Saphee's pretty up front feeling for him, with her apparently being forbidden to do certain things. That he cannot confirm or deny an intention to marry the centaur Tisalia, and so on.

My rating is Decent (6/10), as a fan of the sort of genre, monster girl or otherwise, I am up for this sort of thing, so I did not lose my time, but I will again say that I wish it was better.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:00 am Reply with quote
If I can be honest,I don't have a problem with "Monster Girl Doctor." There's a lot of it to like. It's pretty good. It's not for everyone but hey,what is? The whole thing feels like a mix of different genres:fantasy,comedy,slice-of-life,even the harem genre. I've gotta admit,it's a weird mix but somehow it all works. I don't know how,but it just does.
The show takes place in a fantasy world where humans coexist with monsters. That's no more apparent than in the town of Lindworm. The main focus of the story is on Dr. Glenn,a human doctor who specializes in treating monsters,along with his assistant and childhood friend,Saphentite "Sapphee" Neikes. Together,they treat everyone from centaurs to dragons to everyone in between. Most of Glenn's patients are female monsters,much to Sapphee's chagrin.

You see,that's because many of the good doctor's patients seem to get a case of haremitis,which basically means that many of them want a whole lot more than a simple checkup from him,if you get my drift. And,that causes Sapphee to get a strong case of jealousy because she also has feelings for Dr. Glenn,but that's simply because they've known each other for so long.
Basically,the whole anime is largely episodic with no real overarching plot to it. As others have mentioned,it's a lot like "Monster Musume,"but unlike that show,the ecchi isn't as overwhelming. There are some parts of it that go into that area,but it doesn't go overboard and it's actually pretty tolerable.

In a lot of ways,"Monster Girl Doctor" isn't that bad of a show. It's cute,sweet and funny. It's goes to a lot of ecchi places but it doesn't last long and it's not too bad. All in all,it's not a bad show. One that I hope you'll give a try. I promise you'll like it a lot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1