• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bottom-tier Character Tomozaki (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:45 am Reply with quote
Ding Dong! The Witch is dead. Which old Witch? The Wicked Witch!
Ding Dong! The Wicked Witch is dead.
Wake up - sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed.
Wake up, the Wicked Witch is dead. She's gone where the goblins go,
Below - below - below. Yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out.
Ding Dong' the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low.
Let them know
The Wicked Witch is dead!
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Aoi was working on that cloth cover when Tomazaki first went to her and told her his intentions to get involved, which means she'd already mapped events that far out in her head. Even if it was the second meeting, that is some serious "Dance My Little Puppets! Dance" string pulling there.

I'm just glad Erika's been belled and muzzled for a good while.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:15 pm Reply with quote
It is indeed good to see that the bullying incident has been finished. This week's episode felt rather refreshing due to that and had more of the calm moments that make the show fun. As for the dating question, several lovely girls to choose from, but Aoi......nah, not in a million years. The earlier portion of the episode shows that she has some rather dark thoughts and given how manipulative she is... Blood would probably not even go for someone like that.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:55 pm Reply with quote
From Crunchyroll's subs:
Aoi: "Dating her will be the main focus of our work going forward."
Aoi: "Oh, and ideally, there'd be two or more of them at any time."

Is this a poor translation or is she actually suggesting dating two (or more) people simultaneously? That sounds absurd and completely out of character for this anime. She must have meant pursuing a romantic relationship with 2 or more people at the same time, right? Am I crazy here? The way the conversation continues and the crooked pick-up artist type advice she gives suggest she meant pursuing two people at the same time.

Anyway it seems fairly obvious that those two people are going to be Minami and Fuka.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Edited to correct injudicious use of a space bar

I don't know about poor translation, but there was definitely some poor subtitling. On my set in the U.S. anyhow, they didn't even have Aoi say "Hexactly!" instead of "Exactly." For some reason, I felt outraged as it's one of the few cracks in her facade.

I would be delighted if Aoi wasn't the main romantic female lead, but I'm not as confident that the story won't wind up going there at some point. I think it's possible that Tomozaki's struggle to master the game is really a fight for Aoi's...I don't know...soul or humanity sounds too dramatic.

Smurky, I too liked the return to a more fun tone. And Cam0, I seem to remember that Aoi was pretty cold blooded about having Tomozaki try to play with Fuka's heart at some point in season 1, so it wouldn't surprise me if Aoi was playing a number's game. From what I can tell, she seems to treat romance as just another cold blooded pursuit in behavioral psychology and social ladder climbing.

Last edited by Edjwald on Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I think I was just confused. A brain fart or something. When Aoi said dating I thought of like anime dating, you know what's usually preceded by awkward school roof love confessions and stuff. I was, in fact, being crazy. I get confused easily.

Edjwald, I do remember that thing with Fuuka in the first season. It actually led to a kind of ideology clash between Tomozaki and Aoi which was one of the greater moments in S1. I also remember that it led to a moment of real growth for Tomozaki as instead of strictly following Aoi's directions, he tried to be more like his real awkward self when interacting with Fuuka which actually ended up working better. It also ended up being a bit of a critique of the whole honne and tatamae thing that Japan has which was a surprising amount of depth from a show I initially wrote off as yet another "unsocial nerdy dude meets the school idol" story (by wrote off I actually mean "Hell yeah, that's my kind of trash").

I'm kinda hoping for something similar from this upcoming dating assignment. We already saw a small clash between Tomozaki and Aoi concerning Erika. And Aoi suggesting some devious manipulative tactics to Tomozaki doesn't sound healthy.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, seems like it is between Mimimi or Fuuka from the looks of things. He has a genuine connection with both of them and especially the former seems very much aware of him (and a bit jealous/surprised of his connection with Fuuka). As for who seems like the best match-up, I think that Fuuka would match him better.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

With Fuuka, Tomozaki can be more like himself. In the first season Fuuka was more comfortable with the awkward, but genuine Tomozaki instead of the Tomozaki relying on Aoi's social interaction hacks. That being said their relationship is a bit similar to the relationship between Aoi and Tomozaki so there's a level of imbalance. A big part of their closeness comes from Fuuka being grateful to Tomozaki for opening her up to the outside world. With Minami there's no baggage like that so the relationship is more balanced. However I'm sometimes getting vibes that Mimimi's outgoing quirkiness is a front of sorts. I couldn't really tell what was bothering Mimimi during the whole ramen thing. Was she able to tell that Tomozaki had some unknown ulterior motive and felt the situation was insincere? I dunno.

Anyway I'd be fine with both, but I can't deny that I'm weak to Fuuka's delicate cuteness.

Now Tomozaki going to an all-girls school festival with Mizusawa seems like it could be a fun time.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I'd prefer any of the "capture targets" to Aoi, but I have no idea how this is going to go. Like I said before, I kind of dread the idea that Aoi is the real final boss of this high school turned into live action video game scenario, but it doesn't feel impossible.

I thought it was kind of interesting that both Fuka and Tama were inspired by Tomozaki's efforts to improve himself to try to venture into unexplored territory themselves.

I like that no matter the outcome of this treating real life like a capture game shenanigans, at least some of the characters will probably, ultimately, be better off no matter what happens. Including Tomozaki.

And I'm liking this arc.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:19 am Reply with quote
Well, seems like our mc is going to have to man up pretty soon, since Mimimi is going in for the kill in a not very subtle way. Seems like there being other girls around Tomozaki has spurred her into action. Fuuka also seems to be making some moves, in a more subtle way though. As for what Tomo will do, I like that part of him still is in the mob mindset, it is not like all has been forgotten and changed, even if he has made a lot of progress.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow. Love is war and Mimimi seems to be well-learned about it. She is using the "strike first to win" strategy here. I believe the term is: sente hisshō. We'll see how effective it is. Nonetheless it's exciting that the story is really picking up steam now that it is getting closer to the season climax.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I like that they laid out the groundwork and reasoning for Tomozaki's...stasis, I guess? I just wish it didn't fall so easily in line with one of the most overplayed, worn out anime tropes - the male protagonist who goes around collecting girls who like him without being willing to be honest with them or himself or make any choices.

If this thing with Mimmimi shakes up that predicable dynamic, I'm all for it.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, it seems like there is thought on the part of Tomo as to what dating means to him and how his type of dating should work. It is fresh in that dating and the approach to it can mean something different and what works for one is not suited for another. Tomo is not the type of person to just jump in and try it out.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, they sure spent needlessly large amount of screen time explaining the story of their school play in detail. My eyes were starting to glaze over as the school play story just kept going on and on.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:40 pm Reply with quote
This is one of those cases where I'm going to wait 2 weeks and binge the last 3 episodes together. I just have a feeling it will be more satisfying that way instead of grinding my teeth waiting for decisions to be made or cliffhangers to be resolved. .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3