• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Snack Basue (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:20 am Reply with quote

Snack Basue (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 13 volumes, by Forbidden Shibukawa)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Studio Puyukai

Genres: comedy, slice of life

Themes: adult cast, drinking, parody, vignettes, workplace

Plot Summary: The gag comedy manga centers on a bar in Sapporo's North 24th neighborhood, five stations away from the Susukino business district. There, the bar's proprietor, junior proprietor, odd regular customers, and its share of walk-ins recount their strange lives.

Air Date & Platform:
January 12, 2024 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
----------------------------------

I didn't find a thread for this anime, and I wanted to comment on it, so...here. If there is an official thread, I apologize.

There seems to be some thing going on where anime that premiere on Thursday can hardly do anything right with me, and anime that popped up on a Friday can hardly do anything wrong. I wasn't expecting to like Snack Basue - it came with zero hype and sounds like one of those niche anime that only appeal to a small audience. Maybe it is a niche anime, and I'm that small audience. I'm sure a lot of people were immediately turned off by the art or animation of this show, which screams low budget, but I stuck with it and found myself entertained.

The big, ugly talking heads reminded me a little bit of King of the Hill, and the offbeat, dead pan humor is kind of similar too. It's low key, but I enjoyed the anime throughout, and it was a nice change of pace. I kind of feel like I connected to it in the way that I wanted to connect to "Delusional Monthly Magazine."
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:52 am Reply with quote
I watched and enjoyed the first episode, too. In fact, I even added the show to my Currently Airing line-up. And then removed it. As much as I enjoyed the first episode, I'm just not sure that week after week of talking heads in the same bar is gonna do it for me. And since I'm not exactly lacking in shows this season... but who knows? If I'm finding I'm not having any issues keeping up with the Winter flow, I may add this back in.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:12 am Reply with quote
It has a certain charm to it and listening to the silly jokes and random conversations is pretty amusing. In a calm season I would probably keep watching it, but we do not have calm seasons anymore so it is a drop for me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:45 am Reply with quote
Actually changed my mind... I'll watch a bit more before deciding if I'm gonna give it the perma-flush.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:58 am Reply with quote
Good luck seeing it all, I may manage to keep my new series list around 28 or so and that is plenty for me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:44 pm Reply with quote
A mere 28 shows? Pffft, amateur. Right now I'm at 31 and I still have 3 more upcoming shows to check out. Come back when you're a "real" anime fan and we'll talk. Wink
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
I didn't find a thread for this anime, and I wanted to comment on it, so...here. If there is an official thread, I apologize.

I initially didn't make one because it had a really low following on MAL, looked super low-budget, and was not licensed at the time. But then CR picked it up, and I forgot to follow up. I added all the fancy stuff in the opener for ya', though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for covering up the shame of Edjwald's horrible thread starting attempt, Tony K.! (Hee hee hee....)
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:18 am Reply with quote
And here I was ready to call myself Bareback Edjwald, defender of free speech Wink

Thanks Tony.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:23 am Reply with quote
Thinking back on the first episode, it is not just that it felt a tad boring and too long for its own good episode wise, but like at least 60% of the jokes went over my head. Maybe it is a culture thing as to why it is not clicking?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:03 am Reply with quote
@ smurky turkey - some went over my head too but not 60%. From what I can remember, most of the humour seemed reasonably accessible. Definitely not at Pop Team Epic or Hozuki's Coolheadedness levels for me.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:38 am Reply with quote
There's a couple of possibilities here Smurky

(A) It's just one of those nonsense and sensibilities thing where some people vibe and some people don't.

(B) The timing was wrong, for whatever reason, when you watched the anime. That's happened to me a couple of times, even to extreme degrees where I hated an anime the first time I saw it and then saw it again later and wondered what kind of crack I'd been smoking the first time.

(C) Your immediate culture doesn't mesh well with the culture of this anime. I grew up on military bases all over the place and come from that culture. I assume Blood came from a lab...

(D) You're an alien plant sent here to manipulate earth culture so that it stays divisive and weak, and somehow this anime doesn't fall in line with your carefully calibrated orchestrations.

(E) I'm wrong and the anime is crap.

Actually, I could probably work through the whole alphabet if I start going into time travel and simulations and reincarnation and such...anyway, I didn't think the anime was too long at all, but I didn't have any problems getting the humor myself. There were a few cultural references I didn't get - I assume that the swirling helicopter hand sign the blonde was making meant a little more than just crazy, for example, and I remember not getting some musical reference during the first karaoke bit. But I've watched a lot of other slow paced, deadpan, ironic animations with talking heads like Dr. Katz or Daria or King of the Hill...I could go on...so maybe that helped?

Anyway, I thought the anime was a nice change of pace from the other....ummm...geez, I just tried to count and ran out of fingers and toes...from the truckload of anime I'm watching. No biggie if you didn't.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:01 pm Reply with quote
This might be the ugliest looking show this season, and I can't tell if it is funny or not due to a possible cultural barrier that is keeping me from getting the humor. Maybe it is just a bad show because it isn't funny or silly enough to work for a full 22 min episode. This needed to be like a series of shorts or something. otherwise, who is this for? I want to know who this show appeals to. Not in a negative way, but just wondering if Im missing something.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:41 pm Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
I want to know who this show appeals to. Not in a negative way, but just wondering if Im missing something.

Well, that would be me. I'm a 73 year old woman who spent the last 30 years of my life working in a small, rundown bar the size of a living room. I speak Japanese influently (meaning when I have the flu and am raving deliriously) and I write for Critical Perspective Failure, a magazine for the humor impaired. Leave me alone already, I have enough problems Wink
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow, first Frieren, and then episode 2 of the universally acclaimed, slyly under-animated, bathing in excellence experience that is...Snack Basue.

What can I say, I just like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4