• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Scar on the Praeter (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:36 pm Reply with quote

Scar on the Praeter (TV)

Genres: action
Themes: superpowers

Plot Summary: Project Scard depicts the encounters and battles of those who have tattoos which possess the sealed powers of divine beasts and gods. The story is set in the Akatsuki Special Zone, a lawless zone in Tokyo.

"Helios" are those who use the ability of the tattoos to protect the city, "Artemis" are committed to maintain security and control, whilst having a strong commercial motive, and the "Public Security Special Service" are Scard Staff of the metropolitan police department. They live through the turbulent days to keep on going. (Source: MAL News)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

The nicest thing to say about this episode was that GoHands seems to have improved since Hand Shakers, I don't think this episode would be as likely to cause motion sickness or migraines. I suspected back then that there was a problem with putting different things at different frame rates, which could just be nauseating. I did not notice such a problem here.

But, god is it ugly. And a lot of that ugliness comes from how it tries to make itself look so nice, like that great blue sky provides way too much bloom that does not at all provide the atmospheric effect that I think they want. Doubly so for the pristine city scape that the story is saying is some sort of bad side of town slums, but seem entirely abandoned like the characters were transported to a blank city scape to have some sort of CGI battle. And the indoor parts where they are blending the 2D models with the CG or photo like backgrounds, especially inside of the supposedly struggling café that, the perspective was just so off in places.

Maybe it is just their style, but some simple fixes seem so easy. Make the sky darker if you want to portray a supposedly seedy city. Include other random people in the city, even if they are the bare minimum of an outline, it feels like it is taking part in a covid lockdown. Actually design the mafia villains to look mafia like, not like soldiers, it otherwise makes it feel like they are repurposes premade assets, even if their thing is just to make them look faceless. Actually work on some contrast so the characters are not always so difficult to look at. And the dialogue is a totally other story that does not feel immersive.

I don't know if I will be coming back for another episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:26 am Reply with quote
I'm rather liking this so far. The angry little brother of the dead guy is driving me nuts, with his angry little cat spit sounds punctuating every sentence out of his mouth (I guess that's why his tattoo is Cat-Sith). I don't remember anyone's names yet, but the new Cerberus bearer is ok. I like the blue-streaked guy's look. Their pledge made me lol: "The Twin Wings will be the fangs..." Then you should be the Twin Fangs.

I don't quite get the relationship of the military uniform guys to everyone else yet. I guess they're the cops, but I'm not clear on the limits of their jurisdiction. Oh well, I'm mostly watching for the pretty colors and outfits. I just wish they didn't have that purple filter over everything. At least it's not Hand-Shakers level of ugly.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:57 am Reply with quote
This show is a pleasant surprise for me. I've seen the two Handshaker shows because I like the photo-realistic backgrounds, but the stories weren't that well executed. This time the story is more engaging, Just wish there were more girls around. Girls make everything better.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I also don't find the GoHands productions ugly, I like them, but am glad everything isn't like this too...
Glad to see others like it as well.
But my favorite things are all the pretty boys. Wink
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:14 am Reply with quote
I don't think I've seen an anime this year just go through one ear and out the other. It's one of the worst (at least for me), and it just seems like GoHands can't make an original anime with a story that makes sense. It relies way too much upon the lore and in world lingo for its script. It looks somewhat better than the previous shows, but it still doesn't improve all that much since it's still wonky to see 2D characters on a 3D Rendered plane like we were back in Resident Evil on the PS1 days.

I can barely remember anyone's names, the action is not all that fun, and it seems like we have yet another GoHands anime with some kind of slight incest subtext with the younger "brother" of the lead character.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:49 am Reply with quote
Ep 5

I'm surprised that I'm mostly able to follow the plot of this so far, since I'm not paying super close attention, it's pretty convoluted, and I still don't know anyone's name.

I gotta admit, they had me (and Hræsvelgr (I looked it up)) going there. Sorry we won't be hearing Tsuda's lovely growl any more. He did sound quite weary of it all, so it's for the best.

I swear though, if Cat-Sith doesn't cool his jets pretty soon, I'ma be looking for a newspaper to swat him with. His tsun tsun act is getting real old by this point.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:05 am Reply with quote
I'm basically just watching this for the slick photo-realistic b.g. art. I had actually dropped it after episode three but then decided, oh what the hay. I kind of like the irritating PSSS guy who torments his partner by showing up at his place before work, etc. Oh and I'm not convinced that Eiji Arashiba is actually dead (he's the dude that the MC got the Cerebus tattoo from).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:19 am Reply with quote
The Moonies' little ritual kinda makes that more of a possibility, huh.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:50 am Reply with quote
Ep 6

So...can somebody have more than one tattoo? Cause I'm thinkin' Fafnir (the irritating PSSS guy) is also Fenrir, unless that's unpossible.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:59 am Reply with quote
Interesting hypothesis, Gina.... what makes you think that? I think it's been stipulated that a person can only have one tattoo but that certainly doesn't mean the show can't pull some exception out of its butt if it wants to.

This show makes me laugh. Ostensibly, it's about pretty boys in conflict with each other but you know they really just want to lay their weapons down and tear each other's clothes off. NTTAWWT, of course.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:17 am Reply with quote
I didn't like the way he slipped off leaving Itsuki alone to face Fenrir, since he didn't go to the hospital and was just hanging out on the park bench for awhile. But now that I look at the attack again, it's never confirmed that Fenrir was there at all.

So. I've revised my theory, to just say that for whatever reason to be revealed, it was Kouga that attacked them and not Fenrir. The gun that shot at him is the same as what Kouga and Itsuki carry, with that useless metal forepiece on the bottom of the barrel, and Kouga's Fafnir power is to make him ridiculously strong, a la its namesake, which was the key element of the attack, rather than fire. Plus, I don't think he was powering up Fafnir just to admire its sparkle.

Ep 7
Now I'm thinking Fenrir was killed as word has it, and Dusk is just creating holograms to lead people around by the nose. Or maybe they're doing that, but real Fenrir also is still around. It's hard to tell if the fact that he's always in the same pose is significant or just cost-cutting. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Ep 10-11

Well, ok, didn't see that coming, though I was right about having 2 tats, just wrong about who had them. Not sure why old Cat-Sith's ritual tells new Cat to "bark and bite." I guess it's like the Twin Wings being Artemis's Fangs or something. They don't seem to have a very firm grasp of their respective animal traits...

Other than that, I'm totally lost now. Very Happy I have a vague sense of who's doing what right now, but as to who knew what when and all the machinations to get everyone to this point...beats me. Feeling a tad more sympathetic to Fenrir at this point though: just burn it all to the ground.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:39 am Reply with quote
Geez, Gina, you must be totally humiliated at being wrong in your guess of who Fenrir was. Nobody would blame you if you choose to slink away and never post here again!

(...hee hee hee...) Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh and I'm not convinced that Eiji Arashiba is actually dead...

Just reminding everybody what a genius I am! Unlike when Gina makes predictions, *mine* actually turn out correct. Me > Gina.

*gloat gloat gloat*

Although I have to admit they left his return long enough that I was starting to doubt myself. Just another lesson on why I should never do that!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2