• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nerima Daikon Brothers?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zombie828

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:06 am Reply with quote
What's up with Nerima Daikon Brothers being so unpopular? I mean it's made by the guy who did Excel Saga and Puni Puni Poemi (basically, two of the funniest anime ever made), yet it doesn't even have enough votes on ANN to have the User Rating bars. What I've watched of it so far has been great, it's funny and different. Do people just really hate musicals or something? I would very much like to know why no-one's even heard of it, while it's been out for a whole year.
3dB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, I very seriously doubt it got fansubbed, as the show I think presents a whole new set of challenges being a musical. I went out and bought the first DVD and I love it. However, I never rate shows until I've seen them the whole way through.

I really don't think anybody paid it much attention at all until ADV picked it up. I really like it a lot, but the musical format isn't for everybody. Hopefully it will gain more popularity though.
NeonGEvangelion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote
It being a musical and all, most people dislike musicals. I found Nerima Daikon Brothers to be quite entertaining and funny. NDB faces a lot of challenges being a musical. Hope it gets more light than its getting, because it deserves more.
Major Max

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I also wonder why Nerima Daikon Brothers is not so popular. I think that they don't allow you to review is because that only one dvd released so far. I think eventually NDB is going to be popular, because the more dvd or merchendise is released it will be noticed and more fans will come. Just have to wait for now.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
It's not popular because it's relativley unknown. I had never even heard about it until the Shelf Life review. It's one of those series that is just going to need exposure because it definitley has the potential to be popular. Who knows, it may explode by sheer word of mouth which can be the most powerful advertising tool (look at what it did for Nippon Ichi and Atlus). I know already I want to cosplay as the NDB...if I could only find a suitable Mako.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
it just came out not to long ago. i really like the comedy and the songs are okay being that top voice actor are doing it.. its really hard to do a musical anime since you have to lip sync. and the voices are so close between j/a voices

the plot can be nonsense but funny nonsense. excel/puni puni nonsense.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:30 pm Reply with quote
The coolest part of the show is that all the VA's did the singing themselves. They're no professional singers but it's wonderful they did it themselves. They actually sound pretty decent and the show is hilarious.
deepon05

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
my friend showed me the english dub on his anime network subscription. I think its a bit too quirky for me. If you say that its by the same person that made Excel Saga then I would say lightning didn't strike twice here. There is a missing element in this show that I can't put my finger on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:59 pm Reply with quote
deepon05 wrote:
my friend showed me the english dub on his anime network subscription. I think its a bit too quirky for me. If you say that its by the same person that made Excel Saga then I would say lightning didn't strike twice here. There is a missing element in this show that I can't put my finger on.

Ya know, I thought about that last night (based on the first episode from the Newtype USA sampler)... and the best I could come up with is- no Insane Lead Character.

I mean, I'm not saying the Daikon Brothers are a normal bunch (Panda-love? Embarassed ), but compared to Excel and Hyatt, they're pretty tame. I mean, c'mon- those two died repeatedly during their introductory episode. Singing about Daikon just doesn't reach the same level. Plus, it seems to me that Mr. Watanabe is getting more-and-more sexually charged with his humor, which doesn't appeal to me. Dog-type-thing kept for Emergency Food desperately trying to escape her fate? Funny. Corrupt Pachinko club owner with a fetish for 'Kim-chee-ing' Bok Choy girls? Not as funny. Kind of creepy.

I figure I'll still be picking this up sometime soon-I do enjoy the novelty of an anime musical, it's still kind of funny (not as much as Excel, but still funny), and at 3 volumes it's not a wallet-killing show. It's just not a top-priority show. I think I'll get My-Hime up to date first.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
3dB wrote:
Well, I very seriously doubt it got fansubbed, as the show I think presents a whole new set of challenges being a musical. I went out and bought the first DVD and I love it. However, I never rate shows until I've seen them the whole way through.

I really don't think anybody paid it much attention at all until ADV picked it up. I really like it a lot, but the musical format isn't for everybody. Hopefully it will gain more popularity though.
I can say 100% that it did not get fansubbed in English (only in Chinese). I do know that there were plans to fansub it, but they were dropped when ADV's licensing announcement came out of nowhere. Given that I liked Excel Saga, NDB does look interesting, and based on reviews on ANN and AoD, I'm planning to check it out at some point.
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote
If there hasn't been a lot of reaction to the show, it's probably because it's just now getting to be known. It may have been out or a year or more as raws, but ADV's just now getting the marketing underway for the dub.

I have a fairly warped sense of humor, so I'm enjoying it. It's a cross between the Blues Brothers and South Park, without all the decorum and restraint that South Park is known for, and I have to marvel at the effort that's required to dub it - not only do you have to write new lyrics, you have to still make them match up to the visuals, including song length.

It's also fun listening to the VA's stretch a bit... I would not have guessed Hideki's VA to be Greg Ayres, it's a major departure from his usual sound.
musashi1600

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quote
I heard about this anime, and I have a question:

Is it true it features Japanese political humor, and pokes fun at Junichiro Koizumi?
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
3dB wrote:

I can say 100% that it did not get fansubbed in English (only in Chinese). I do know that there were plans to fansub it, but they were dropped when ADV's licensing announcement came out of nowhere. Given that I liked Excel Saga, NDB does look interesting, and based on reviews on ANN and AoD, I'm planning to check it out at some point.

Sometimes I wonder if they just license stuff just so it wont be fansubbed. I remember they licensed Elfen Lied before it even aired in Japan.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:30 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

I can say 100% that it did not get fansubbed in English (only in Chinese). I do know that there were plans to fansub it, but they were dropped when ADV's licensing announcement came out of nowhere. Given that I liked Excel Saga, NDB does look interesting, and based on reviews on ANN and AoD, I'm planning to check it out at some point.[/quote]
I had no idea what this series was about when I preordered the first two DVDs besides it was directed by Nabeshin. On that note I was rather disappointed with the first DVD. It comes across as a bit cruder and indeed there is a bit more political self awareness compared to Excel. The plots are also redundant in structure compared to Excel which went in many directions. If anything it reminded me the most of the last "bonus" episode of Excel. I have noticed that fans of Excel tend to have very different favorite episodes.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
The coolest part of the show is that all the VA's did the singing themselves. They're no professional singers but it's wonderful they did it themselves. They actually sound pretty decent and the show is hilarious.

Actually, I don't know about Luci, but Chris Patton and Greg Ayres ARE professional singers. Both of them worked in musical theater before they even got into anime, and Chris is part of an electronical band (all of the members sing in it). I want to say that Chris was even classically trained, but I might be exaggerating that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2