• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tropical-Rouge! Pretty Cure (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:47 pm Reply with quote

Tropical-Rouge! Pretty Cure (TV)

Genres: magic
Themes: magical girl, makeup, mermaids, ocean, shoujo

Plot Summary: Manatsu Natsuumi moves from an island to Aozora City, to live with her mom. There, she meets Laura, a mermaid, who makes her a Pretty Cure using the power of makeup. Manatsu and her fellow Pretty Cures fight against the servants of the Witch of Delays, who stole the motivation power from Laura's Mermaid Kingdom and are now trying to steal it from the human world.

Last edited by Saeryen on Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I've watched all three currently available episodes.

I really like Manatsu, but I am in love with Sango/Cure Coral! Her little arc in Episode 3 was so inspiring. I feel like I have more courage to be my most authentic self. She's such an amazing character.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 1 to 3

I had not watched any Pretty Cure before, but it had sounded like having some experience can be okay because they are not always mindless or something. I enjoyed the first three episodes, and I am curious over the character dynamics.

Will also say that the whole makeup thing also feels rather curious, like I can only imagine that a show like this targeted at young girls might have some understanding of forming ideas about makeup. Not sure what a general Japanese idea is, but I have seen discourse in the West against ideas that makeup is just to "attract boys" or something and more about self expression and esteem. I guess why the third episode went so much into one's own cute, and being supportive.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:36 am Reply with quote
I love the idea of wearing makeup for yourself rather than anyone else, and using it to help feel good about yourself. That’s what any fashion accessory should be about, after all.

I’m so glad more people, like you, are getting into Pretty Cure! It’s such a wonderful series and I really like talking about it with others.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 29

This episode seemed very technically impressive, actually having me multiple times rewinding a bit to watch something again. It legit was kind of like an anime movie with some of its animation details, very impressive for a long running children's show.

I have in general been keeping up with the show, been much better than something like Digimon. With maybe half the fun being the facial expressions the characters can have. Also little bits, like anything Kururun, such as how Minori shot him in this episode. Minori being my favourite character, I think it being a fair description that she reads like someone on the autism spectrum.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 33

Oh my god, this episode was hilarious. It was pretty much a filler everything goes random skit episode, with some references to previous series that could only go so far with my in having no knowledge of them.

But still, it had golden moments, like a body swap that included Kururun in Manatsu's body, an overly long attack name, and Cure Kururun as the mascot character getting her own transformation. Kururun really being a great source of comedy lately, being easily meme worthy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 46 (finale)

So that is the end. I liked it, really I enjoyed Tropical Rouge a good deal more than other kids anime, like that Digimon remake. Of course there was the common formulae, where general episodes would lead to the villains summoning a Yaraneeda, and rather than action really being a focus you could guess whether the attack would succeed based on how much time was left. But they did mess with that formulae a few times, and honestly I rather enjoyed elements like the comedy. But there was a severe lack of Kururun stuff towards the end, and they were in general involved best parts of comedy.

A rating might feel a little different, probably taking into account the intended audience, with my personal enjoyment extra topping. I am rating it Good, (7/10) it has been a long time since I watched such a shoujo magical anime meant for child audiences, which also wasn't a good deal of nostalgia from shows of yore, and I really enjoyed my time. It was actually the show I would leave for the last on Sundays for the past year, because it acted as a nice pallet cleanser to other shows, and a mix of not too complex nor dull. Maybe some parts held back by myself not being familiar of the legacy stuff that I think was referenced occasionally. I would honestly say as an adult, I thought that it was worth watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1