• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Those Snow White Notes (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:17 pm Reply with quote

Those Snow White Notes (TV)

Genres: drama, shounen, slice of life
Themes: music, school, shamisen

Plot Summary: When Setsu's grandfather died, so did Setsu's "sound"—his unique creative spark. Grieving, he goes to Tokyo to find himself...but manages to become totally, literally lost on his first day. Only a chance meeting with Yuna—aka Yuka, the hostess—saves him from being robbed. At first glance their lives seem totally different, but they're both striving for their dreams—hers, of being an actress, and his, of developing his talent with the shamisen—and it could just be that life in the raucous, unfeeling urban sprawl of Tokyo could just be what binds their fates together.
----------------------------------

Anime adaptation of the manga of the same name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I went into this totally not knowing what to expect and wound up completely enamored with what I saw. The animation in the first episode was amazing, especially the animation of Setsu's finger movement when he plays the shamisen.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:14 pm Reply with quote
EP 1

Really good so far!

I love Setsu and Yuna, especially Yuna, she's awesome! And I wonder how Taketo's character will develop; he seems to have softened towards Setsu and at least realized he was wrong to cheat on Yuna.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 2
This series and Backflip may be the ones I am thus far most excited about. I found myself smiling through so much of this show, and it wrapping up with the brothers playing an unnamed piece together at the end was awesome.

We got to see more of Umeko, Setsu's mother which was great. She seems like a very self absorbed age-defying mother. Hearing her sing to Setsu's playing near the beginning was a treat, she's got a great voice, and I loved all the people stopping to listen down below. Her hitting Setsu when his string broke mid-song and yelling about how dare he, and how will she deal with the fire inside her his playing clearly elicited, lets us know she feels a spark in him that seems to come from him and not just him chasing after his Grandpa's sound.

I can see why he would say he hates her. She left them, abandoning them young. Seeing sexy Umeko in a commercial on tv and her sons saying she wasn't a big deal celebrity, that's just who she is all the time was telling too. One has to wonder why she bothered to bring her son back to her now. To showcase her voice? That's probably a bit too cynical (I hope).

I can see now that Setsu's being set up to join the Shamisen appreciation club at school, and I will look forward to that. I have found a new love for this instrument from this show I just didn't before, and I found myself on Youtube watching several Shamisen players. I am sure looking forward to more of this series!
Also, the OP and Ed are both great, I'll probably never skip them.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:26 am Reply with quote
Tied with Odd Taxi so far as my favorites of the Spring season. I disliked the scene at the end of episode one where Umeko appears, but the second episode washed all of that away. One of my complaints about Kono Oto Tomare was the lack of koto performances. I don't think that will be a problem with Mashiro no Oto. Episode two alone contains two blockbuster duets. When the season is over, my ear may be much better attuned to the sound of classical Japanese music.

How many schools do you suppose have a shamisan appreciation club, much less clubs with only one member? (Usually five is the minimum in the shows I've watched.) Is Setsu fated to end up with the genki shamisen girl or with her busty friend?
Kabuby 77

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:30 am Reply with quote
Shamisen is a weird thing for Westerners, but I suspect this series will be as much of a surprise as Chihayafuru. The quality is very good and with the second episode the plot has opened up to more perspectives.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Shamisen sounds a lot like a banjo to me, but more spare (3 strings instead of 4 or 5). So the "dueling shamisen" piece was a treat. Wink

I love the animation in this, and that not only are they not skimping on the performances, but that they're so well animated, and so creatively done. Even just the way they animate someone blinking seems to be done with care rather than by rote. And the art style is my jam.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:42 am Reply with quote
This show still is my favorite, only one episode left and I SO don’t want it to end!
This episode took me to some highs and lows, literally cursing Umeko out loud at the tv…
Heartbreaking that scene between her and Setsu.
I can hope there is more of this show because it was consistent in writing and production throughout I think, it didn’t get sloppy with the music scenes which I really appreciated.
Looking forward and dreading the next (final) episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:02 am Reply with quote
My reaction to the show is not the most super positive, but has been above similar shows that I might have put around the same watch order, which I hope to convey with my post after the last episode my nuance thoughts.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:07 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
This show still is my favorite, only one episode left and I SO don’t want it to end!

I'm pretty certain 12 is all we get...for now...I hope. Because this is right up there in my top five of series endings that are screeching at the top of their lungs through a bullhorn for a second season (Stars Align is the hands-down winner)!

I just wish it had been set for 24 or 26 episodes from the beginning, because so often we're disappointed when the following seasons change personnel or for whatever reason fail to recapture the magic of the initial offering.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:36 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
bonbonsrus wrote:

I'm pretty certain 12 is all we get...for now...I hope. Because this is right up there in my top five of series endings that are screeching at the top of their lungs through a bullhorn for a second season (Stars Align is the hands-down winner)!

I just wish it had been set for 24 or 26 episodes from the beginning, because so often we're disappointed when the following seasons change personnel or for whatever reason fail to recapture the magic of the initial offering.

There's an end title card right before the end credits start the mentions that this is the final episode, at least for now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Wait, that really was the last episode of the season? I really must have missed that, because this didn't really have that sense we could finish here and feel satisfied, so I thought that there might be at least one more episode.

Anyway, my thoughts. I can admit that it was well done, it made me care about the shamisen thing, and I liked how it had some strong impactful scenes, and how it brought more characters into the orbit. Rai was someone that I did have thoughts of as one who is queer coded, I would say its rare to have such a character be a fellow student, but it is also maybe an a bit close to outdated stereotypes. On a whole characters were kind of bland at times, which made the more extra ones like him and the mother kind of more interesting to watch.

On a whole, I kind of get the sense that I cared less about the show than I should, and perhaps that was a me thing. It was far from the worst stuff, I just had some problems connecting with it, outside of some scenes that were really good, such as when his mother got him to play and she sung along to the people outside to hear. I maybe just sort of lost interest in parts.

My rating is Decent (6/10), I didn't really lose my time, but not much more than that in the end, but it is probably a me problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1