• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tsukimichi -Moonlit Fantasy- (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, that sure is anything but a peaceful teacher's job. I have to say though, while Makoto is a very strict teacher, he is one that will help you grow a lot in a short period of time, that time will be hell though. We also got to learn some new people in the school this week, some nice and some not very nice in that they are sending assassins over for a party.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm still liking the anime fine, but I've kind of lost track of the overall plot trajectory. I guess "the heroes" are going to show up at some point? And the waitress and the blonde student are going to turn out to be some kind of Romeo and Juliet thing?
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:02 pm Reply with quote
@edjwald His intention was to learn more about magic but his scale is so off compared to everyone else he ended up a teacher.

As someone who, since watched season 1, has read the manga I can see the skipped details that make up characters we see. I have a question for those who are anime only season 2: How are you finding the pacing? do the Heroes, Demons, Teachers and Students make sense to you?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:29 am Reply with quote
I would say that the pacing seems good enough and that the overall picture is pretty clear. That is in part because of the two episodes showing a lot more of the heroes, without those I would be lost. I would like to know a tad more about the demon side though.

As for the main questline so to speak, it has pretty much always been for the mc to build up his company/pocket world and grow strong enough to keep those safe. There is the whole getting revenge on the goddess I suppose, but I don't know if that was ever really the goal.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:28 pm Reply with quote
The demon side is certainly the most in need of development for the anime. Even just a little of their reactions to the end of the 2 battlefields could of added a little colour to the whole thing.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:07 am Reply with quote
It's where the demon forces and monsters overlap that things get a little fuzzy sometimes.

But yah, I get the rest of it pretty well, and it hasn't been so long that I've forgotten all of season 1. I hadn't forgotten the town/city/province development part, for example, it just seems that between Mio's cooking classes and whatever Tomoe's doing and this side quest branching into a new career for Makato, and abruptly introducing the heroes and then just as suddenly dropping them so that Makato can teach a few random students for a few episodes feels a little...I dunno...disjointed? Stuck in the weeds? Yeah, nominally setting up a new shop advances the plot, but it's all off screen and feels more like lip service.

But I'm not hating the detour. I'm enjoying the episodes individually. It's a little bit similar to my feelings toward Spy Family last season, which I felt lost a little momentum with some side episodes but still kept the elements that made me enjoy the show in the first place.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:37 am Reply with quote
The detour is in large part due to the first season skipping said content and the second season thus having to force it in. That is not a new thing though, many shows that get an unexpected second season have to get creative to get things on track again or not make any sense story wise.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, this week showed why they needed to add in the skipped content introducing the heroes. If they had not forced the two hero episodes in than episode 6 would have made little sense. As for the hero parties, I sure like one party a heck of a lot more than the other.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:10 pm Reply with quote
And we skipped a whole set of after bedding scenes that establish Tomoki as over indulgent, unable to control his eye and easily manipulated. There is a reason why his nickname in the fandom is Trash-moki
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:30 am Reply with quote
Welp, I'm not familiar with the source material, but knowing that some stuff has been getting shuffled around out of sequence explains a lot.

I loved getting to see Tomoe and Mio strut their stuff in the foreground again. The big sis Mio dynamic was unexpected but a lot of fun.
T3rmidor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:37 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
And we skipped a whole set of after bedding scenes that establish Tomoki as over indulgent, unable to control his eye and easily manipulated. There is a reason why his nickname in the fandom is Trash-moki
That indeed seems like a fitting nickname ....are there significant differences with the source beyond the reshuffle of the other heros apperances?
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:40 am Reply with quote
T3rmidor wrote:
Cryten wrote:
That indeed seems like a fitting nickname ....are there significant differences with the source beyond the reshuffle of the other heros apperances?

Plot deviations? No but lots of darker character work gets cut and the remaining slimmed down and rearranged to make for a fast story. The last 2 episodes covered about 8 chapters of the manga, in piecemeal form.

The most significant things are understanding motivations, and the asides to the demons during and after the war that included the Sophia fight and the heroes failed attack on fort stella.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:14 am Reply with quote
I forgot how much fun the episodes building up the demi-human plane are. We saw the crew getting back together and having fun (especially nice to see Mio succeed with her cooking), Emma being the true menace (a much needed one though) and even new residents being chosen.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Yah, I enjoy the settlement build episodes too. It'll be interesting to see what happens with those little stinkerbell monsters. As to Emma, her Miss Piggy look makes it a little hard to take her seriously, but I think it's clear that Emma has a long term memory and attention to detail when paying someone back that both Tomoe and Mio lack. They're like tornadoes, and they might not pay attention to you at all, or they might destroy everything in a half mile radius if you piss them off with a relatively minor comment. But they'll forget why two days later.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I do like the settlement focus, but the return to the classroom was more fun than I was expecting. The Rembrandt sisters, the demon spy, and the almost fully materialized diabolical plot of Mr. Faculty advisor were all pretty interesting developments IMHO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5