• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tsukimichi -Moonlit Fantasy- (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:05 am Reply with quote

Season 01: Tsukimichi -Moonlit Fantasy- (TV)
Season 02: Tsukimichi -Moonlit Fantasy- (TV 2)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 19 volumes, written by Kei Azumi, illustrated by Mitsuaki Matsumoto)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio:
Season 01: C2C
Season 02: J.C. Staff

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy

Themes: anthropomorphs, dark elves, demi-humans, dragons, dwarves, ecchi, elves, gods, gore, isekai, monsters, orcs, parody, sorcery, superpowers, transformations

Plot Summary: Makoto Misumi is just an ordinary high school student living a regular life, but all of a sudden gets summoned to the other world to become a "hero." The goddess of the other world, however, insults him for being different and strips his "hero" title, before casting him off to the wilderness at the edge of the world.

As he wanders the wilderness, Makoto encounters dragons, spiders, orcs, dwarves, and all sorts of non-human tribes. Because Makoto comes from a different world, he is able to unleash unimaginable magical powers and combat skills. But just how will he handle his encounters with various species and survive in his new environment.

In this fantasy, Makoto tries to transform the other world into a better place despite the humans and gods having turned their backs on him.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: July 7, 2021 (Wednesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 02: January 8, 2024 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 12 episodes
Season 02: Pending

Total: 12 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:28 am Reply with quote
Tanjirou and Nezuko reunited in an isekai with music by Yasuharu Takanashi? Sure, I'll give it a try.

Ironically, with the news, today, of Shield Hero getting delayed, and this sounding all sorts of similar in terms of the basic plot, I'm hoping this will be a good placeholder in the meantime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (season finale)

That is the first season down, and looking at the news a second season is already planned. I have my negative opinions of the show, primarily from how it fits into a sort of edgy of main character gets dejected for apparently being too ugly, where he gets treated like an ugly freak, while also way over powered. The thing is though that I think that it played most of its pieces quite well. For one the choice of power he was given to the goddess was that he could understand all non-h(y)uman languages, so it set him up to mostly fit in with demi-human characters.

I was pretty fond of how it used the orc characters, that it didn't pull a Reincarnated as a Slime and decide to make them look more human, like that show did with its starting people of the goblins. I am not usually such a fan of the Japanese idea of making orcs look like pig people, which thinking about it now I think is because most depictions I see of that makes them look generally fat rather muscular, but I think they looked more okay here. Mio and Tomoe may have turned into hot ladies, but I liked how their quirks made them more interesting, and they still are a dragon and a giant spider. The spider people too, who became able to take human forms, but still happened in stages, so they didn't just feel like spider people in name only.

Pretty much that to me, I like a story to have fantasy races to actually come across like the fantasy races, rather than just a slightly green human with pointed ears. Even the dwarves, where they had their craftsmanship be super seriously, along with also a ripped dwarf woman, because we don't get enough dwarf women. The arms length away from human characters, I just kind of liked how it was done here compared to more cutesy design of some other shows.

I still don't understand how Makoto was so strong, especially when the reasoning that Earth being a harsher environment or whatever that sounded like John Carpenter, should have had the opposite effect with his parents going to Earth. I am not sure if there was an actual explanation given for what the source of his power is, or if it was still to come. I do think it even did an interesting idea of showing his immense power to be a blessing and a curse, that he gets a lot of good things, but could also be devastating if not contained right.

Anyway, my rating for the series. I say Good (7/10), where I might even under the right circumstances say is higher, which I might hope to think from a second season, at least from this point I think it is still held back a bit by its edginess. As much as I understand that it tried to deconstruct those parts, I am just unsure whether it entirely it did it correctly.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I remember almost giving up on Tsukimichi Moonlight during the first 3 episodes of season 1, but I stuck with it, and as Tomoe and Mio took on more prominent roles, I became more fond of the show. The MC was too hapless and bland to carry the show on his own, but he was a good straight man for two OP nutjobs. Then Mikato started building his haven for an odd assortment of demi-humans (the source material was written before Reincarnated as a Slime by the way) and that was also interesting, and I grew to like the show.

Still do, and for pretty much the same reasons,though Mikato is starting to take on an edge

I thought it was a good season opener..
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:38 pm Reply with quote
My enjoyment of this show is basically proportional to how much of it is spent on the TomoeMio show. And it's directly harmed by getting into the edgelord KillAllTheHumans stuff. This season is not looking promising, so far, and I suspect I'm going to get chased away from this show just like I was with SlimeTime and Overlord (and, inexplicably, Fluffy Time this season).
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:35 am Reply with quote
A solid first episode re-introducing the world and the characters in it. The humans still mostly suck, the goddess is still a bitch and Mio still can't cook. I also miss the previous OP.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I forgot about it, but the first season basically skipped all content regarding the other heroes. Given that those heroes are going pop up in the story soon the show is now forced to fill in the blanks, hence this week's episode feeling a bit out of place and sudden.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I liked this week's episode, if only because I've been feeling like the stew needed some different ingredients. Broadening the perspective on the demon/hyuman thing is a good way to build some tension since Makoto is basically setting up a demon sanctuary.

I'm also a little curious...will he be able to speak to the heroes since they come from the same world, or will the goddess' curse still be in effect?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I think there's actually a big difference between Monsters/Demihumans and Demons though. I have the feeling that "Hyumans" won't see it (nor would the "goddess"), but Makoto will. Monsters can be good and reasoned with. The Demons, like the oni that were trying to use Tomoe's dragon power to exploit the orcs.

Bishi-boy even has a Dragon-Tamer in his charmed harem. I get the feeling that not even that tamer fully understands Dragons though, hopefully she'll get a lesson from Tomoe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I think there's actually a big difference between Monsters/Demihumans and Demons though. I have the feeling that "Hyumans" won't see it (nor would the "goddess"), but Makoto will. Monsters can be good and reasoned with. The Demons, like the oni that were trying to use Tomoe's dragon power to exploit the orcs.

Mmmn, I can't remember if the anime itself has made that kind of distinction or not. It would make sense, and it would certainly be more convenient for plot purposes. I'm not thinking the kobolds that the Heroine's party was attacking were demons either way though. Scum monsters maybe, or maybe not since we didn't actually see what kicked off the conflict. I don't see why some monster tribes couldn't be "bad" and some "good" depending on their leader, environment, etc, or why some couldn't be both.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Considering how trashy most of the hyumans are I expect them to either not know or care about the differences between the non humans in their world. As for the goddess, she basically hates everything that she deems not beautiful.

With episode 3 we have the second and final episode of the heroes being put in the spotlight. I like that the two episodes filled in some blanks and showed a bit more of the hyuman side, but I would be lying if I said that I am sorry to be back to Makoto and the gang next week. I do hope that the fuckboi hero gets some proper justice in the future.
T3rmidor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, the first season didn't create a very good impression but I really liked this two last episodes. They do a good job in establishing the two other heroes, provide an expanded view into the isekai world and seem to create good setup up for coming episodes. I still think the show would be better if the protagonist wasn't John Carter or as bland as it can be, but I'm tentatively liking more this season than the past one.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:58 pm Reply with quote
T3rmidor wrote:
I still think the show would be better if the protagonist wasn't John Carter or as bland as it can be, but I'm tentatively liking more this season than the past one.

I assume you're talking about the disappointing movie, not the books? I'd kind of hate it if the name became a synonym for yawn.

Anyway, yah, I enjoyed the background fill in. And as has been mentioned before, I agree that thus far, the success of the show has revolved around buffering the MC with more interesting characters.

(Not that I'm not rooting for the guy.)
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:15 pm Reply with quote
The teacher job was acquired this week. It was a messy affair in many ways (rest in peace mr assassin), but Makoto has a new job. Mio and Tomoe are also on seperate adventures, one for cooking (doomed to fail) and one for investigation.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I'm glad Makato isn't completely without a homicidal servant for some instant humor though I do prefer the Mio and Tomoe show. I liked this episode - I knew Makato was OP but I'd forgotten how OP - though I do wonder how a shy person who can only communicate via comic book dialogue panels is going to fare as a teacher.

Judging by the closing credit sequence, it looks like the situation between the blonde dude and the waitress is going to be a lot more complicated than it seemed at first glance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5