• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Waccha PriMagi! (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:19 pm Reply with quote

Waccha PriMagi! (TV)

Genres: magic
Themes: idol, magical girl, music

Plot Summary: Middle-school first-year student Matsuri Hibino loves festivals, and she dreams of one day being able to star in "PriMagi," a magic-like form of stage entertainment borne from song, dance and fashion. That day arrives when the hyper-spirited, trouble-making magician Myamu arrives from the magical realm and scouts Matsuri for PriMagi. Together, the two compete with rivals to rise to the top of PriMagi.

Oct. 3, 2021 (Sundays; HIDIVE)

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:04 am; edited 3 times in total
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote
That first episode was so sparkly and joyful! Everything I hoped it would be. Can’t wait to see more!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
That first episode was so sparkly and joyful! Everything I hoped it would be.

On the other hand, there’s Myamu. Let’s just say that with “friends” like her, poor Matsuri doesn’t need enemies. After four episodes, it’s become clear that, although Myamu doesn’t know it, she’s going to need Matsuri more than Matsuri will need her. At least, that’s what the show is implying.

So it seems that the entire thing is all about cards. Pretty Rhythm had prism stones, PriPara had PriTickets (which PriChan also has), and now we have ensemble/outfit cards (literally, “coorde cards”). Now while the show itself is certainly magical, we simply can’t ignore the fact that Myamu isn’t exactly the best person to be around. Okay, so she only really had “Nyan-ji” in her life, but it doesn’t really change the fact that Myamu is a bad girl who:

-constantly gets into trouble
-has gotten punished several times for her bad behavior (in the first episode, she tried to steal a lookbook)
-only really does her own thing no matter who gets annoyed (she constantly uses her magic powers for selfish things, plus, on Earth she’s supposed to stay in her animal form)
-is superficial, shallow, and has no sense of loyalty (it got to the point where Nyan-ji had to intervene after she tried to “break up” with Matsuri)

Now would you like to be friends with someone like that? OTOH, the show is also implying that Myamu will start getting a clue at some point, but still.

Now, if I had to guess, I’m thinking that that Magical academy is hoping that Matsuri and her family will teach Myamu what it’s really all about. I mean, it’s also implied that Myamu actually thinks it’s all about her. One thing’s for certain, she pretty much went back to her “high and mighty” act at the end of the fourth episode.

Then there’s Matsuri herself. It’s implied that she’s actually that “naïve” (by the show’s definition). Indeed, she was actually willing to just give Miruki (who thinks she’s “too hip for the room”) the hard-earned Primagi card that Miruki should have gotten herself. In this case, I agree with Myamu: Matsuri shouldn’t just hand it over. Now while it’s true that meeting Myamu gave Matsuri the courage to enter Primagi (which shouldn’t have a “the”, IMO), again, Myamu is eventually going to need her more than Matsuri will need Myamu.

“Mana-mana! Magi-pa! Chupi!”

I’m not surprised that Sendai decided to “translate” Mana-Mana and Chupi as “Treasured” and “Earthly”, but leave the magic spells untranslated. It was probably one of those things where it’s not so easy to translate certain things into English. On the other the English names for the magic people and Earth people seem to just be made up; I’m not sure.

In any case the show seems to be alright so far, but I think some fans need to stop using “Just Here for Godzilla” as a reason for watching this show. They talk about how “cute” characters Myamu or Miruki are when they’re anything but. What we have here is a show that could easily go in a darker direction, which is not a good thing (at least I don’t think so). Oh, well. We’ll just have to wait and see.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I really think you didn't need to use that whole rant as a response to my post, because it comes off like you were personally offended by me expressing my passion for something I really love. I happen to like Myamu and Matsuri (Myamu, to me, is an obvious tsundere who is a sweetheart inside, and who cares for Matsuri but doesn't think she deserves Matsuri's friendship).

If you want to say you don't like something/a character and why, then please just say it independently and not as an argument against people who love it. There's a reason I don't go onto threads about anime I think I would hate and argue with the fans, it just makes everyone unhappy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Lemon’s arc might be the best yet. I am rooting for her all the way.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:19 am Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Lemon’s arc might be the best yet. I am rooting for her all the way.

I agree - I really like Lemon and I also appreciate that the show isn't rushing to get her onstage before she's actually ready. There's a real variety of personalities in this show that I'm enjoying, even if I actively don't like two of the characters (Myamu and Miruki).

And as an aside, this has replaced Tropical-Rouge PreCure as my kitten's favorite show to watch with me. He goes nuts when all the balloons release during Matsuri's performance. Laughing (I'll be laughing less if he knocks over the TV, but right now it's adorable.)
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:34 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
And as an aside, this has replaced Tropical-Rouge PreCure as my kitten's favorite show to watch with me. He goes nuts when all the balloons release during Matsuri's performance. Laughing (I'll be laughing less if he knocks over the TV, but right now it's adorable.)

Oh my gosh that is adorable! Awwww
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Lemon's debut was so amazing! Her song was cool and different, and her PriMagi illusion was really neat. I love her cute goth aesthetic.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 28 has given us spoiler[male idols]!

That was an unexpected but very nice surprise! I adore them!
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:30 am Reply with quote
I was just getting ready to post about that to see what you think! Very Happy I really like what their motivation for doing it is, even if it also has some serious ship-teasing, made obvious by spoiler[Touma's attempt to confess to Matsuri] at the end there. But it's a neat solution to the problem Hughie was struggling with and it opens up some good possibilities for the PriMagi going forward.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1