• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PuraOre! Pride of Orange (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:32 am Reply with quote

PuraOre! Pride of Orange (TV)

Genres: drama
Themes: hockey, sports

Plot Summary: The Dream Monkeys is an ice hockey team based out of Nikko city in Tochigi. The team holds a hands-on instructional session in order to find new promising players amongst local junior high school students. Manaka is coerced into going by her younger sister Ayaka and childhood friends Kaoruko and Mami. After the intro session, the girls are enthralled with ice hockey and are eventually invited on to the team.

Oct. 6, 2021 (Wednesdays; FUNimation)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 1
If this one goes through with its threat of combining a sports anime with an idol show, its going to be weird. Yet even without, the idea its an unaffiliated hockey club that recruits school age girls is already weird but I guess you couldn't have a school that combined a hockey team and idol group.

Mostly because it's a dumb idea. I was ok with the thought of a girls hockey anime, what's wrong with just sticking with that? A high concept show that's a little too much into its high concept, I'm curious to see how much of a trainwreck it'll be.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:53 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Mostly because it's a dumb idea.

Maybe Yōko Matsunaga watched Uma Musume (Pretty Derby) and got the idea of the hockey team doing an idol show from the Victory Concert put on by the top 3 horse girls in each race?

Episode 2: Slice of life/cute girls doing cute things with very little plot development.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4.

Seems that Coach Matsunaga has forgotten the idol idea (at least for the moment).

Some actual plot development to go along with the slice of life/cute girls doing cute hockey things.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

The predicted trainwreck of combined hockey and idols does not rear its ugly head. Instead we see cute girls getting cute hockey gear, and the continued recruitment of an exceptionally talented girl with some significant emotional issues.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

We get an actual hockey game.

The dreaded idol aspect comes back, but the actual dance is limited to a practice session shown in the ED.

Graphic character design needs some work, as the cute girls turn into ghoulish monsters when they put their helmets on.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:33 pm Reply with quote
It's starting to go off the rails with episode 6 with Manaka's goals of playing hockey for the Dream Monkeys being, in the course of a few minutes of screen time:
1 Winning in the B bracket so they could join up with her friend in A bracket.
2 Actual competitive spirit in that she wants to win period.
3 "Suddenly" she wants to see the arena filled with people to watch the game and if that means dancing... after "every victory"... then so be it.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
It's starting to go off the rails with episode 6

Thank you! I just couldn't even bring myself to start this one this season, the pic of the girls in the hockey helmets was too ugly and I'm not super interested in girls doing some sports (like this one particularly), and then hearing it was maybe combined with idol show which I usually watch but don't usually enjoy...I just couldn't bring myself to try it.

But then I started reading peoples thoughts and wondered if it wasn't as bad as I thought and maybe I should catch it...I was seriously starting to think maybe I should jump in, just because...but this makes me feel better about missing it, which I really can't imagine I'd like this show so much as tolerate it. Thanks for making me feel a bit better about missing it.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:12 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
I really can't imagine I'd like this show so much as tolerate it.

Going by actual content, PuraOre! Pride of Orange is a Cute* Girls Doing Cute Hockey (and occasionally idol) Things/Slice of Life Show, if that helps anyone decide whether to watch or not. Yes, there is a drama thread, but it is mostly in the background.

*Except when the face shields come down. Shocked
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I was waiting to see which way the show would go, especially once the real team was introduced, not that the show explained what's going on or why the new girls wouldn't just play the others for practice.

You do need six people to play hockey but you need a lot more than that to make a team. The show knows it, the coaches mention swapping out the entire roster but they're not explaining anything, things are just showing up out of nowhere.

As to the ending Idol performance.... I have so many questions... and I don't want any of them answered because I know I wouldn't like them.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
You do need six people to play hockey but you need a lot more than that to make a team. The show knows it, the coaches mention swapping out the entire roster but they're not explaining anything, things are just showing up out of nowhere.

In their first exhibition game against another team, the periods were cut down from 20 minutes to 10 minutes. Not said why, but presumably because the Dream Monkeys trainee team only had 6 players.

Animegomaniac wrote:
As to the ending Idol performance.... I have so many questions... and I don't want any of them answered because I know I wouldn't like them.

Well, at least they are not nailing horseshoes to the soles of standard shoes. Rolling Eyes

The idol routine could be done by gluing sandpaper to the bottom of smooth sole boots.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

For better or worse, we have some ecchi with the girls playing beach volleyball at their "training camp" in Okinawa.

A missed opportunity for an Aquatope crossover* since they go to an aquarium to see spotted eels.

The dreaded Victory Concert/idol dance content is limited to one mention by the coach.

*Sadly, the IP lawyers/interests would make it almost impossible to happen.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9 - No mention of the idol dance, even after a victory.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1