• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rumble Garanndoll (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:09 pm Reply with quote

Rumble Garanndoll (TV)

Genres: science fiction
Themes: alternate reality

Plot Summary: In 2019, a rift to another dimension suddenly opens in the skies above, revealing a "turnabout" alternate world called "Shinkoku Nippon." This parallel version of Japan maintained its militarism and remains stuck in the Showa era. Shinkoku Nippon invades our Japan with its "Genmu" gas weapons and giant humanoid "Garan" weapons.

The invaders immediately take over our government and all but conquer Japan. As a result, our Japan never ushers in the Reiwa era. A decade later, our Japan has been revamped as Genkoku Nippon, a puppet state of Shinkoku Nippon. Under harsh censorship, the once thriving manga, anime, idol, and similar sub-cultures have completely died off...or so it seemed.

Oct. 11, 2021 (Mondays; FUNimation)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I am loving this one. It's like someone took my main complaints from AMAIM, fixed the plot problems of "How he fell into the cockpit" and "why are they fighting" and then went further by making the characters complex and interesting.

The sad part is I think it's intended to be a parody. It's not much of a problem because I do find it funny. "Is that your standard uniform? "No, Rin just likes to cosplay." And then there's the end of the second episode 2, where we really find out what Rin was painting on the side of Shark 1. She really wants to believe in Hosomichi or maybe it'd be better to say she wants him to believe in the her that ... believes in him...

I think one of these robot shows finally learned something. Took them long enough.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:08 am Reply with quote
I was hoping there were others like myself that relate to this show and really like it (and want to talk about it). I think this show deserved to have weeklies because it has lots of potential to be a really good show... How do I know? Because it has passion, it is having fun and is fun to watch as a result. And it is highly relatable to what I think most anime fans are like inside. I don't see this being a parody but a goofy and sincere tribute to anime fans who are similarly passionate about the shows they like, even if they have gotten older and embarrassed to admit they feel so strongly about "dumb cartoons" like the protagonist.

The "True Army" here I think is narratively representative of the critics of the world who even inhabit these walls who are only here to tell you that you are stupid, wrong to like such things. You are being unsophisticated, not discerning enough (like they are) and you should definitely stop liking such drivel. Tear it down, get serious, grow up. Well, I say F that!
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:36 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I was hoping there were others like myself that relate to this show and really like it

I have to say, this is a show I look forward to each week. I love the idea of needing to embrace your nerd self to have power and energy...It's a bit cheesy and fun in a good way and I like it! Plus, love the host who needs to learn to accept his passions too.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Edit 12/27: Have to say that the show was much better than the reviews indicated and I think it was one of the season's better shows. I also loved how Hosomichi-kun learned to understand how the girls feel and figured out how to honestly emotionally connect to them and support them "where they are" instead of just manipulating them. I only was disappointed by the harem cop-out at the end that everyone loves everyone else when it was RinxHosomichi. Still, the glimmer that the uptight squad of the True Army would loosen up and see power in true freedom of self expression via Ahabaraki and that maybe they could turn things around in thier world for the better was a good note to end on. Doubtful of S2 but my inner shounen would love it if it happened.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1