• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ya Boy Kongming! (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:35 am Reply with quote

Ya Boy Kongming! (TV)

Genres: comedy
Themes:

Plot Summary: General of the Three Kingdoms, Kongming, had struggled his whole life, facing countless battles that made him into the accomplished strategist he was. So on his deathbed, he wished only to be reborn into a peaceful world... and was sent straight to modern-day party-central, Tokyo. The brilliant strategist Kongming will have to adapt to the wild beats and even wilder party people of the modern age.

Apr. 5, 2022 (Mondays; HIDIVE)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:31 pm Reply with quote
This was a pretty fun show, and I loved listening to the singing. Probably won't be something I have a lot to say about, but I was happy watching it and hope it stays sorta fun.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:25 am Reply with quote
I was definitely expecting to hate this show, since I totally don't buy into the idea that music is "important." The fact that the show was called "Ya Boy" felt incredibly English for a show about a Chinese guy in the Japanese music scene, but I don't know anything about the Japanese music scene, and all the songs so far have been in English, so insert shrug here.

I've been pleasantly surprised so far, though. Chemistry goes a long way.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:13 am Reply with quote
I really like this show but I came to it from, well, Koihime Musou so to me, the main character is Komei, though the combination of childishness and cold blooded tactician is still there.

The second episode introduced Eiko's first worthy opponent, voiced by the marvelous Yu Kobayashi so that made me extra happy to listen to someone who can both sing and act. It's something of an oddity to see they cast someone as Eiko who can't both sing and act
Dayraven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The fact that the show was called "Ya Boy" felt incredibly English for a show about a Chinese guy in the Japanese music scene

‘Paripi’ in the original title is slangy Japanese, derived from ‘Party People’ in English. ‘Ya Boy’ seems like a translation intended to keep the incongruity of that alongside a name from Romance of the Three Kingdoms (while a more direct translation would lose some of the slanginess and run into a singular/plural problem).
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Seriously have had the OP song stuck in my head CONSTANTLY this past week.
It's such a catchy bop. I actually kinda like all the music in the show, and the show itself is way more fun than I first gave it credit for, I am enjoying it all, but that opening song I could listen to on repeat. Tell me it's not just me...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

So that is the end, they win the competition, and the other girls get to reinvent themselves in a way more true to themselves.

Honestly I wasn't that into this series. In concept I like the hip hop as something a bit edgier over standard pop stuff. But I also think the show was best when it pushed itself to be weird and different, but it just didn't hold that enough to really have me invested. It was things like Kongming wearing some sort incredibly gaudy sunglasses. That sort of thing where gaudy can give this sense insincerity, but done the right way that goes so far it actually goes back to coming across as a sincere show of confidence in who you are in rejecting that shame.

Maybe I am talking out of my butt here, I really am not a big music person. But I think that there was something there about Eiko's sincerity, maybe how she rejected the expectations of Japanese singing, along with Kabetaijin joining as a rapper. Heightened by images like Kongming wearing his ancient cinese garb, and whatever uber modern flare. But in the end at least to me it kind of feels like they were half measurers, that something was just not pushed hard enough.

my rating will be Decent (6/10). Maybe I am not really up for the music stuff at the moment, but I think that it possibly have much better if key parts were really pushed.
MaritLage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:33 am Reply with quote
Hm , an anime done in cel-shading about a Chinese resurrectee learning hip-hop stays up , while an anime done in CGI about actual Chinese people gets taken down . Go figure .
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:12 am Reply with quote
I guess I liked Muh Boy Kongming better than you did, DP. I rated it Good, although I admit my interest did start to wane a bit... probably around the time the rapper with stomach issues got introduced. Still, I enjoyed how the show integrated stories/strategies from the Three Kingdoms period into the modern era. Eiko was cute. Hell, I could give this show a Good based on that catchy OP theme song alone. Bonus points for working in the word tequila!

I should visit Japan and go clubbing with Tokyo chicks. I'm sure they'd enjoy that. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1