• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:10 am Reply with quote

Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs (TV)

Genres: fantasy, romance
Themes: harem, school

Plot Summary: Office worker Leon is reincarnated into a particularly punishing dating sim video game, where women reign supreme and only beautiful men have a seat at the table. But Leon has a secret weapon: he remembers everything from his past life, which includes a complete playthrough of the very game in which he is now trapped. Watch Leon spark a revolution to change this new world in order to fulfill his ultimate desire of living a quiet, easy life in the countryside.

Apr. 3, 2022 (Sundays; Crunchyroll)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I didn't have very high expectations for this one but the first eppie was kind of fun. I like the fantasy/SF mash-up and the premise of a dude having to live in an otome world he hates makes me chuckle. I'll definitely stick around for a while, at least.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:03 am Reply with quote
I was a little surprised by so much of the negative reactions by the reviewers, I guess largely on the game the story is about doesn't really resemble a real game. Other than Richard who I think was thinking more along my mind that that the world itself is a mess because the game was poorly designed. And even that the reversed gender politics might be the response to the game allowing a reverse harem ending, so it is like a response to allowing that within what what had been shown in the game, so women have as much power that they could romance and have a gaggle of the kingdom's finest as husbands.

It so far is a little mean, and I am a little afraid it might stray more into male centric rather than otome, but I am interested.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:26 am Reply with quote
I read through the first 3 novels and I really like this. The anime so far is skimming past alot of details so it can get to the rest of the characters but hopefully it slows down.

It's important to understand that the game is not meant to be a real otome game so don't expect that part to be the focus. This is more about the MC being trapped in a world where he has to deal with alot of rules that make life difficult for him.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

I put it together when he mentioned again that events were happening before they should, that the short girl must most likely be someone who played the game and reincarnated, and was manipulating her way into the position of the heroine for a harem ending. It then actually makes it a kind of interesting dark mirror of the isekai of someone familiar with a game using knowledge to manipulate their way into a kind of gross position of manipulation. And not really as nice as pretending.

I really liked the part when he explained wondering if how he was feeling looking at the harem scene being how women see it.

I do think all the focus of who ends up with who does feel deameaning, all the guys trying to look for wives, and even it needed known that in the would be villainess' future who she would end up with.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:23 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I was a little surprised by so much of the negative reactions by the reviewers, I guess largely on the game the story is about doesn't really resemble a real game. Other than Richard who I think was thinking more along my mind that that the world itself is a mess because the game was poorly designed.

Believe there was a more detailed explanation in the beginning of the first light novel as far why the game was the way it was. Something to do with increasing the player base. That's the problem with all the cutting in an anime adaption.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:32 am Reply with quote
Ep 8. Looks like this show has taken a hard turn into some serious territory, which I'm not really crazy about. I had been enjoying this as an almost "so bad its good" show; the main char, picking his way through a badly made game's mix-mash universe of sci-fi and D&D and dating sim, was amusing to me. I used to play text adventure games, and after 'finishing' the main path, I would usually go back and wring out some more entertainment by deliberately trying and/or wrecking everything. So watching the MC manipulate the hell out of a system is amusing to me. Like the scene in ep 6 where the MC spoiler[proposed marriage ] with the queen - who is very attractive, because of course she is, that's how fan servicey dumb the game was - and gets spoiler[ stuffed into a big garbage can] for it, I live for that stuff. Too bad thespoiler[ can stuffing] couldn't have been better animated, but this is a cheap show. Wink

But now, Olivia seems to have been really traumatized by the bad girl, and watching her big scene on the the airship, that was painful. I'm disappointed, my dumb fun may be over. Crying or Very sad
MaritLage

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:53 pm Reply with quote
S01E01

lol i totally would have watched a whole anime in the Otome style from the first five minutes of the first episode

(*)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I thought that the thing with Olivia was an interesting take on the sometimes protectiveness of heroines by male characters can sometimes go past bring a good thing, and into something that takes away their agency with a sense of self worth.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Leon should have greater faith in the power of Olivia's large breasts. Er, I mean, in her ability to get things done.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

And so he wins in a way to not look too dangerous, tries to put the credit onto one of the noble guys he disgraced, and then ends up with a bigger title than he would like. And then maybe a bit more open to maybe being worthy of attention from Olivia and Angelica.

You know, I found this show more mean spirited than I would have liked. Sure it likes to be aware by saying that it calls out his shitiness, and has the good characters. But I don't think it always grasped well why something might be bad, and I think still tries to have its cake and eat it too by having some of his shitty stuff look noble, along with making some of the things look clever. I also think that it could be a bit too cynical at times, by having most other people, the ones not used for comedy purposes or sort of cute reasons, just be extra awful. It kind of felt like those things where it might give certain people who act shitty themselves, feel good about themselves because they are at least not someone like girls that bully him out of snacks. And it kind of played female characters as either super innocent nice girls, or manipulative mean girls. The sort of Madonna-whore complex thing.

Not to say the show was really all that bad, it could actually be good at times, and the fact it did punish some of his bad behaviour was good, as well as putting question of the saviour complex idea of treating women (characters) as just something to be protected and not grow as themselves. The master was also legit an awesome character that I really wanted to see more, the teacher that taught our cynical hero that something like a tea party can be something really nice, and acting like a gentleman can mean more than what it can get you. Why can't we have more of such characters show up in anime with cynical characters, and pretty much tell them that they ain't being cool by being edgy and mean? And said main character could look up to them.

To put in simple terms, I do find the show a mixed bag. Some of it can be tasty sweets that I could really like, but some of those might be sweet that it is masking a sour taste that might rot your teeth if you just really focused in on consuming it without thinking. Maybe some people would be less bothered by those bits, and I guess more to them if they enjoyed that, I just kind of hope that they won't internalise some part acting shitty as being cool, kind of like those people who think Rick Sanchez is a character to look up to.

My rating will be a high Good (7/10), that I am really tempted to push it up to the next level, but there are just certain parts to keep it from me saying that it is a must watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1