• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:26 am Reply with quote
Her also kind of deeper voice is really good too.

Also, is it looking too hard at Nekozaki, how we saw when they first became friends that she commented on Shikimori being cute, and is really into trying to get to know Kamiya. I know that it is a cliche for sporty girls, but it is hard to see Nekozaki as straight.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:00 am Reply with quote
11:

That damn episode that I've been waiting for since the beginning.

Shikimori's brother made his debut some time ago, and I wasn't sure if he would be a significant role in the show. Turns out he does... in a big way, actually. His relationship with Shikimori is yet another saving grace of the show, apart from Kamiya. It's actually one of the most endearing thing I've ever seen on the show. Shikimori has always been a tomboy (not a surprise tbh), but more importantly, she's that baby sister who always follows what her big brother does. Anyone who has a baby brother/sister, I imagine that this would hit you hard: you would definitely know how this feels.

A tomboy who's actually good at physical stuff (karate, for one). Always been good at it. Yet, she doesn't know what to do with it; it's just something she picked up from following her brother's footsteps. Picked up a shoujo manga and falls for it, and she found her calling: she wants to be a cute girl. The exact opposite of what she is. Here's the ironic part: shoujo manga usually appeals to female readers, who dream of becoming the girl in the manga who's swept away by the Knight in Shining Armor. Shikimori wants to be that girl, yet she becomes that Knight. That's the funny part, and that explains why she's constantly struggling between being cute (that girl in the shoujo manga) and being cool (the Knight).

Hence, why you get glimpses of her cool, tomboyish side from time to time... that's who she actually is, and she knows it. Being cute is a persona she is vying to become, although habits die hard. This is where Izumi comes into play: he's basically the botto--, I mean, the "girl" in the shoujo manga. Shikimori wants to be that "girl", but seeing how helpless he always is, she ends up becoming the Knight from time to time. Now I can see the general appeal of the show: Shikimori's gap between being the "girl" and the Knight.

Izumi's story... I'll be blunt: I've never cared about him, and after his story, I care even less about him. Tbh, as a character, he's just there to fill in a role for Shikimori in their relationship. His bad luck is just a plot device to render him helpless and make Shikimori come to save the day and become the Knight. The only thing going for him is his kindness, which I guess came as a result of being humbled by his bad luck.

Did I mention how I actually like the story of Shikimori and his brother? It's one of the more genuine moments in the show, and finally I can care about Shikimori as a character Apparently, I only had to wait until almost at the end of the season for it.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:56 am Reply with quote
Final:

If the previous episode is the "why are they what they are", then this episode is the "how are they what they are". In simpler terms, the previous episode explains why Shikimori is the "prince" of the relationship, and this episode shows how. Perhaps this episode is showing more clearly how Izumi is really the archetypical "princess" of the relationship (it's becoming way too obvious).

The final episode is basically the essence of the whole show, and it's well done.

SO IN SUM.

I will admit: the main story bores me. By "main story", I mean the daily lives of Izumi, Shikimori, and friends. No different from your regular high school rom-com show, with Izumi and Shikimori showing them being cute most of the time, and their friends... well, being friends. And honestly, there's nothing particularly interesting going on in the "main story".

But here's the ironic thing: I was interested in the stuff that's not the main story. Like characters that are not in the "main story". Shikimori's brother. Izumi's mom. Kamiya. ESPECIALLY KAMIYA. These characters are way more intriguing to watch than all the characters in the "main story" combined, and yet, they're just supporting characters.

Like the story behind the "main story". Shikimori's origins. Why is she trying to be the "cute one" in the relationship. Kamiya's story (again). The story behind the "main story" is way more intriguing. Why are the stuff that's not the main story more interesting? Shouldn't it be the other way round? Feels like a wasted opportunity.

So I'm giving this show a 6. Perhaps 6.5, just to reward the bits I like about the show. It bugs me a little that I could have liked the show way more if it focuses more on the more intriguing parts. Oh well.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:48 am Reply with quote
For me, I think that I really liked parts of the settup, I just think that the extended execution kind of got boring. There was not a whole lot that really made it interesting. Personally I think that the bad luck stuff itself was boring, because I really don't think that "bad luck" is really much of a personality trait.

Coming into the show, another show that really came to mind was Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, which did things like inversing the gendered character of common character types, and had fun with it, and I kind of hoped this could have done similar, and I do think it had a lot of the frame to do so. Shikimori being seen as a cutie and trying to be so, was way less interesting than her naturally falling into the cool prince, just as Izumi being more of the princess.

Izumi and Inuzuka being close male friends was nice, even to the point that they might look too close for male friends. But it could have been used for more than Shikimori being afraid that they might be gay or something, because the gay panic not needed, but say against things like toxic masculinity where their friendship might be more like between girls, and so something about preconceptions of male friendships. Really interesting, because apparently a lot of people like to make comparisons of Bakugo to Inuzuka, who is connected to a lot of toxic masculinity.

Nekozaki was also pretty funny with her boyish traits, from her overall excitement, to competitiveness, and occasional gushing of hot girls. Not sure what more they could have done with her character, other than going into the whys of her character, like we saw her competitive becoming a friend with Shikimori, but I am not entirely sure why she stuck together. And Kamiya is also a great charracter that I can empathise with ACxS ideas of more would have been good, and again I really like some of her masculine traits with her femineity. And I actually don't have much strong thoughts about Hachimitsu, because I don't think she had a huge amount of interesting traits in the context of these themes that I am talking about, although her part in the sports festival was cool.

To also throw in that I don't just care about gender reversal stuff, I will say that I liked bits such as Izumi's dad not looking the traditionally strong masculine sort, and then you had bits like him picking up both Izumi and Shikimori. The best parts were characters doing things at their own pace, and I would say not needing to fit into the box that might be prescribed to them, to mean a lot to someone else, or to themselves.

My rating is going to be Decent (6/10), a tragedy as I started wanting this to be at least a solid worth seeing, but really only worked out as a I would say strong didn't lose my time. Some strong elements, but didn't focus on them well enough to really make it more compelling.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:22 pm Reply with quote
WHY DIDN'T WE GET A LIPS KISS!? Anime cry

This was one of the cutest, most wholesome romcoms that I've had the pleasure of seeing. ♥ Would love a second season. Loved all four of the main characters. I'll probably start reading the manga too. ShikimorixIzumi are just adorable. I liked this more than Takagi-san, Nagatoro, Uzaki-chan, and ESPECIALLY Komi-san's romances all put together. And the OP and ED were equally great to watch and listen to ♥

The only time I was bored was during Kamiya's scenes. It was weird...she randomly popped up out of nowhere and suddenly the show was all about her for two episodes...and I'm like "....who even are you and why am I supposed to care?"

Quote:
But here's the ironic thing: I was interested in the stuff that's not the main story. Like characters that are not in the "main story". Shikimori's brother. Izumi's mom. Kamiya. ESPECIALLY KAMIYA. These characters are way more intriguing to watch than all the characters in the "main story" combined, and yet, they're just supporting characters.

Quote:
The story behind the "main story" is way more intriguing. Why are the stuff that's not the main story more interesting?

Yeeeah, I felt the opposite way...so this might just be a "it's just you" thing, ACxS. I did not care about Kamiya in the least bit.

(though I certainly would have liked to see more of Shikimori's brother; he was sexy lol)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2