• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Parallel World Pharmacy (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:33 am Reply with quote

Parallel World Pharmacy (TV)

Genre: fantasy
Theme: isekai, medicine

Plot Summary: After losing his little sister to an incurable disease, world-famous medical researcher Kanji Yakutani gave it his all to cure patients by dedicating his life to inventing new medicines. After working himself to death at the age of 31, the former pharmacist wakes up as a 10-year-old child whose body has been struck by lightning. He discovers that he has been reincarnated into a medieval world as Falma, a child of the respected De Médicis family.

In a world where divine arts—magic granted through blessings from guardian deities—exist, Falma realizes that his body is host to the guardian deity of medicine. The boy has been granted the mythical divine arts of creation and reduction as well as the ability to instantly diagnose illnesses in people's bodies.

He soon discovers the terrible state of medicine in this world: only nobles are able to afford medical care, which is ineffective at best and detrimental at worst. Using modern knowledge and his divine powers, Falma gradually makes a name for himself as a pharmacist despite his young age, even earning the recognition of the imperial court. When he finally acquires a proper pharmacy of his own, he sets out to pursue his goal of improving healthcare in the San Fleuve Empire and making it accessible to all. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

July 10, 2022 (Sundays; Crunchyroll)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I will say that the series had some interesting parts, setting itself apart from its contemporise via its gimmick of proper medicine. But I don't think it wowed me that much. To put reasoning into words, maybe because it was still limited in its scope.

I think a bit because the part I might have been interested in how he would have marketed the pharmacy to people, to both rich and poor, and it could have changed the landscape of medicine. But it felt particularly bad in this area, such that you had hand waving about safe cosmetics, and he didn't so much as consult someone who might have experience trade. It came across a lot like transplanting stuff particular of maybe Japanese pharmacists into the fantasy world, with them all just adopting things like more modern lab coats, face masks, and tools. And kind of uninterested in say looking professional in the fashion of the setting, outsourcing to the existing trade, and so on.

I kind of expected more like him needing to be told that he would need to increase the prices of things that would be sold to nobles, so they would think it is all valuable, while creating the airs that what he would sell to the the common folk would come across as the sort of thing they could afford comparatively. But it just looked very uninterred in that side in him just doing his own things, because I guess the only thing he needed was to do things as he was familiar with, and have good bedside manners.

My rating will be Decent (6/10). Not bad, to say that I didn't lose my time, but I kind of wish that it did a bit more with its setting.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:56 am Reply with quote
In a way I liked and was simultaneously disappointed by the depiction of medicine in the show. I liked that the main character had to actually diagnose patients and administer proper drugs and stuff, but at the same time he could just instantly diagnose everything with his magic eye and create the necessary drugs with his magic powers. Felt like the show got more and more lazy as it went on. At first he had to spend months healing the queen and then later could just instantly remove multiple poisons from people with his magic powers.

I rated it the same as Dusky and I agree that it should have done a bit more with its setting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1