• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Reincarnation of the Strongest Exorcist in Another World (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:19 pm Reply with quote

(The) Reincarnation of the Strongest Exorcist in Another World (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 5 Volumes, written by Kiichi Kosuzu, illustrated by Shiso [volume 1], Kihiro Yuzuki [volume 2+])

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Studio Blanc.

Genres: action, adventure, fantasy

Themes: demons, isekai, reincarnation, wizards

Plot Summary: Haruyoshi, who is the strongest onmyōji (diviner) in his world. He's betrayed by his friends and, on the verge of death, he wishes to be happy in his next life. He then attempts a secret reincarnation spell. The spell is a success and he is reincarnated, but somehow it's in another world.

He is reborn into a distinguished family of wizards, but is judged to have no magical ability. He soon realizes however that the magic in this world is nothing compared to his old onmyō arts, and he declares that he doesn't need magic. He thus begins his easy life in another world with his onmyō arts and a multitude of yōkai creatures who follow him.

Air Date & Platform:
January 7, 2023 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:50 am; edited 3 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

For me, this is one of the weaker entries in this season's bountiful crop of isekai/fantasy titles but there's nothing particularly wrong with it. It just doesn't have a particular hook that lands with me. Kind of appropriate that Crunchy is running both of these titles on the same day and close in time slots because that's another isekai title that isn't coming together for me like others are. Still I'm not at the point of dropping.

Of the new shows, I've only dropped one so far: HiDive's bestiality entry, My Life as Inukai's Dog. I don't mind ecchi shows... as long as the MC isn't a literal animal.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Poor old Haruyoshi is not having the greatest of luck with the ladies in this world. Amyu was initially hostile to him but at least seems to be warming up now. Then there was the treacherous Professor Gray. Now Mabel Crane who is coming off pretty much like a cast iron bitch. I wonder if that's a permanent feature of her personality or will she too thaw out under Haruyoshi's charms? Good thing he has a lot of experience dealing with demons.

And the tournaments in this world are pretty harsh. Presumably, they make entrants sign liability waivers absolving the organizers of any legal responsibility in the event of death or serious injury.

And yes, I know I'm the only one at ANN watching this show, why do you ask?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 5 And yes, I know I'm the only one at ANN watching this show, why do you ask?

No, I'm watching it. But only because I probably belong to some kind of support group for people who watch Isekai <g>.

"Hello, my name is Edjwald, and I have a problem...

And yeah, the tournament runners made it sound as if they would accept deaths because accidents happen in live combat, but that guy straight up murdered someone who was already helpless. You'd think they'd at least have some kind of yellow card.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 (Finale)

For a lot of its run, I was pretty so-so on this show. I think I even dropped it for, like, 5 minutes or something. But it ended fairly well for me, including the revelation that Haruyoshi spoiler[is the Demon King]. I liked how the show kind of portrayed the group of demon assassins in episode 12 in a sympathetic wayspoiler[ before wiping them out.]. Nothing terribly revolutionary, but I dug it. Anyway, I'm rating this show Decent.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:36 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it was a fun show, though nothing special. I did like how brutal Seika can be. Ending wise it was interesting in that Seika and the gang stop going to school and become adventurers fulltime.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:13 am Reply with quote
I also ended up liking this show more than I thought I would at the end, also after almost dropping it several times. It still seems a bit uneven to me - it's like someone spotwelded a mostly toothless harem show like Beast Tamer (which glosses over creepy elements of binding living beings to a soul contract) to an OP protagonist ruthlessly killing anything or anyone that gets in his way show like the Misfit of Demon Academy.

The paint by the numbers harem collection is simultaneously the most boring and creepy part since the protagonist is actually some middle aged dude. It's nothing I haven't seen and regretted watching before (What, I'm the Seventh Son? Are You Kidding Me? or Something Something with the Golden Crest Edge Lord. etc.

But the revelation that Blood mentioned is pretty fresh. And the next to last episode was genuinely unsettling but somehow riveting. Seeing the demon assassin squad that was gleefully slaughtering humans left and right for two weeks (and arguing over who got to devour the witness) suddenly seeming like meek, helpless lambs talking about wanting to go home and loyalty and self sacrifice...it was hard to watch and hard not to watch.

And Seika's magic system also seems fresh, and watching him go all onmyouji in a traditional RPG type table top world is one of the primary reasons I kept watching the show all the way through.

And the question of whether Seika is or isn't an asshole has become unexpectedly complicated.

So, yeah, I'd say the show is a decent watch even if it isn't likely to bear up well under intense scrutiny or questions about internal logic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1