• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Summoned to Another World... Again?! (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:42 am Reply with quote

Summoned to Another World... Again?! (TV)

Source: Light Novel (completed @ 5 volumes, written by Kazuha Kishimoto, illustrated by 40hara)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Studio Elle

Genres: adventure, comedy, fantasy, romance

Themes: harem, isekai

Plot Summary: Setsu was summoned to another world to become a warrior, and he saved the world. As a result, he became very popular, and he is happily living his life as a normie in this new world. However, one day he gets caught in a trap, and is deported back to his original world as a baby. When he grows up and is in high school, he is summoned once again to the other world.

Air Date & Platform:
Apr. 8, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:01 am Reply with quote
Decent enough first episode, though the kingdom seems more than a little sus so far.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:05 am Reply with quote
This is one of those isekai that I don't think are terrible and I don't think are great, so I spend a lot of time trying to figure out if I'm going to watch it next week while it teeters between bad or good on whatever internal scale I'm weighting it with. If I wasn't an unabashed...well, actually, somewhat abashed...fan of the genre, I'd probably ditch it.

The show's not completely paint by the numbers (Isekai Cheat Magician, et al) but they're not really milking the angle that's supposed to be unique (IE, it's his second time back). I'd be more interested if the MC had been betrayed and was coming back with a revenge angle (I'm talking Count of Monte Cristo, not Redo of Healer), or if the world he returned to was nothing like the one he'd left and he was trying to figure out a much darker conspiracy, or if he was keeping his identity a secret and playing more of a chess game. In this one, he's too nonchalant and OP and breezy for me to feel too much tension.

Actually, I'd like to see one of these class transfer shows where the MC wasn't an OP chosen one. Instead of having the MC go from powerless punching bag to OP final boss in the space of one episode, I'd rather see the story from the point of view of one of those class extras who really doesn't have an OP ability and is just trying to eke through with a meager skill or talent and slowly grinding their way. But then again, I loved Grimgar, Fantasy and Ash, and from what I understand, a lot of people didn't.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:34 am Reply with quote
I do like the concept of coming back to see how the world has changed, for the better or worse. It reminds me of that one other isekai where each time they went to the other world a lot of time had passed. They saw the effects of their adventures. The newest episode of this anime is a fun wedding crash, although the scumbag trader got off lightly.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 10:48 am Reply with quote
So, while the anime has not been more than okay or mediocre so far, episode 5 deserves a special mention. A lot of people (me included) say that lots of isekai shows are very cliche and rightfully so, but episode 5 is basically one big giant cliche. The chilhood friend gets a special episode and in this episode she works hard to become strong, does not kill enemies and has feelings for the mc. Oh, and while she is against killing enemies, she is okay with using fire magic on them to cause huge burns and then leaving them writhing on the ground.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Conceptually, I really do like the idea of coming back to a world you've saved before- let characters see their legacies, see how they're remembered, what have you. I'm reminded of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant in that regard- and its an idea that fundamentally works and isn't as oversaturated as many isekai tales.

Pity this show isn't really doing much with it. Best I can say is I watched it while ill in the middle of the night and found it to be a decent sleep aid. So it has some value, I suppose.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

I've finally got caught up with this one. I initially didn't even think I would sample it because I think I saw a visual of the MC using a girl as a chair (which actually does happen) and I thought, "oh, it's gonna be one of those." Turns out it's not. Maybe it's just my super low expectations going in, but I find this title actually pretty... competent. If I seem to be damning with faint praise, I guess I am, but I'm enjoying this show as opposed to kind of bobbing along like a cork, going with the flow but not particularly engaged and yet not turned off enough to actually drop it. Unless it takes a nosedive, I see this as a keeper.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:29 am Reply with quote
It is nothing special, but it has decent quality animation most of the time and a story that is okay enough to entertain and stay interesting. The newest episode was entertaining while also a bit weird. It did confirm that there are evil plans going on.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 7:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

This show continues to kinda impress. Again, it's not doing anything super special or wildly innovative, it just continues to be really... competent. And now it's got three different story threads to follow. Also, time obviously flows differently in this other world. To the inhabitants of it, Setsu has been gone for 5 years. But according to the show's summary, Setsu got sent back to our world as a baby and then was re-sent back in high school (along with this classmates). Plus, I don't think it was ever stated how long he was in the other world the first time, or what the circumstances of his first life in the real world were. Questions, questions...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 11:59 am Reply with quote
The last few episodes remind me a bit of a rpg and what you get if you ignore all the main quest markers and just run around picking up side quests. The newest episode also feels kind of like a side quest and it seems doubtful that the real fight against the big bad will be a thing this season.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:30 am Reply with quote
Well, I missed a few episodes of this one and decided to watch them, boy does the second half drop the ball. The series started of well enough with the fresh concept of revisiting a world in which the hero already knows a lot of people and made a name for himself. The second half has rushed things along and now offers episodes with lots of poorly animated fights that could not be more cliche. We also seem to be rushing towards some kind of finale to tie things up in one episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

I agree with you, smurky turkey. I started off being pleasantly surprised by this one. Not that it was doing anything amazing, but I guess it was exceeding my low expectations. But then things dropped off and I'm figuratively limping my way to viewing completion now without much enthusiasm.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, color me surprised. The first 6 or so episodes of the anime were decent, what followed after that were rushed and badly animated fights, so I fully expected the last episode to suck. I ended up kind of liking it though. Toma felt like an actual final boss with all his phases and powers. What followed after that was a rare thing in isekai anime: a conclusion. The people that wanted to go back to earth went back, the big bad has gone on a journey to redeem himself, most side characters have progressed in some way and the hero actually kept his promise and is traveling with his classmate and sea goddess around the isekai world.

Overall the series is a mixed bag, with 4 episodes consisting of boring fights that were horribly rushed. There is some fun to be had with the other episodes and a final episode that actually makes it feel like a complete isekai, which is something that I want to compliment.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

After the first six episodes, I assumed I'd be rating this show a pretty solid Decent. But the back half came up short and I've ended up giving it a reasonably generous So-so, instead. The odd thing for me is that I can't really tell you why things were working for me in the beginning just like I can't really explain why they stopped working. I simply stopped giving a poop about anything at a certain point.

I still have no idea why Setsu's classmates were summoned along with him from a story perspective. They played virtually no role whatsoever in the plot. Even his childhood friend chick had very little to do. The premise of a Hero being re-summoned is actually kind of a interesting one... what would a person in that situation do differently the second time around? But the show had no interest in exploring that. It just moved an OP protag from place to place where he basically saw and did the same things he did the first time. A wasted premise, imo.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:02 am Reply with quote
I pretty much agree with everything you said Blood-. There was that potential of a second go around in being isekaied, especially with the idea that he now has his entire class. But it was mostly used to have him already be that awesome rather than have to write it in, and the class either played no part, or just have some ambiguous connection to the normal world that things could be explained to.

There were those chances of something, but in the end rather than be something like a twist on the isekai protagonist, it just became a particular bland example. My rating will be Not really good (4/10), not a total waste of time, but if I had known I probably would have saved my time from watching something so overall bland.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1