• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Raeliana Ended Up at the Duke's Mansion (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:16 pm Reply with quote

Why Raeliana Ended Up at the Duke's Mansion (TV)

Source: South Korean Web Novel (ongoing @ 7 volumes, written by Milcha, illustrated by Whale)

Demographic: Shoujo

Animation Studio: Typhoon Graphics

Genres: drama, fantasy, romance

Themes: aristocracy, isekai, reincarnation

Plot Summary: After a mysterious death, failed university student Rinko wakes up as "Raeliana", the daughter of a wealthy family in a novel she has read. However, Raeliana is a minor character who is destined to get killed by her fiancé in the near future.

Armed with her knowledge of the novel's plot, Raeliana/Rinko sets out to break off the engagement. Her plan brings her to the most powerful duke in the country and the novel's male lead character, Noah, with a deal; "Pretend to be my fiancé, just for the next six months."

Air Date & Platform:
Apr. 10, 2023 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:31 am Reply with quote
I can't quite tell if Why Raeliana is intriguing me or annoying me. The suspension of disbelief if a bit frayed with this one. More-so than any of the other "summoned to a game/book reality" shows I've seen, there's just a bigger disconnect for me. Most of the the time we get this situation, this is the thought process: "Q:Why? A:"Just because" and I just roll with it.

Something about this one makes me unable to answer, "Just because." I guess it's the set-up- she was purposely murdered- and AFAICT it must have been done in order to send her to the world of the book.... So I'm actually being confronted with the epistemological question of "what is real?" Does a fabricated world really have meaning? Can you really call it "life" if you've been purposely sentenced to it by someone that "murdered" you?

I didn't have to worry about such concepts when watching MobuSeka. Dude tripped and died, woke up in game world- whatever. Anime smallmouth

...I also have a little bit of a problem with a person from "the real world" just being fine with her fawning cast of bishie boys with hair in their eyes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I am unreservedly enjoying this. I like our active protagonist who is striving to avoid a second murder fate. I like the background art that is avoiding the Animu Generica isekai/trapped in a game/novel visual style. I am intrigued by the mystery of who murdered her in the real world and why she was sent to the novel. I almost sense the show is trying to use chess as a metaphor, but that's probably just me overthinking things, right??? Wink
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I dunno. This anime hasn't really done much conclusive to show that there's a lot of high level intrigue and brilliant scheming going on, but it's certainly succeeded in giving off the vibe. It's also another one of those anime where I pay attention to the art and the music, and I'm enjoying it more than I've enjoyed any of the other isekai where a female protagonist is trapped in a semi-Jane Austen type world. And I liked Endo and Kobayashi just fine.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:56 pm Reply with quote
And yah, I know outsiders didn't exactly get trapped in Endo and Kobayashi...sill see it as a variation of the theme...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Yeah, Duke Noah doesn't stand a chance. For there is no force more powerful then... the power of beauty! Lord knows, I learned that lesson personally on account of being so succulent. Twisted Evil

Anyway, continues to be a fun show. It'll be interesting to see what this Vivian vixen is all about.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

After a mostly low-key episode, things ended with a bang. I have to assume it is the dastardly Brooks who snatched her. So I guess Noah will save her, thus causing Raeliana's guarded heart to go pitty-pat for him? Nah, that would be crazy, right??? Vivian is quite the cow as expected. Loved Raeliana's dig at "older" generations having a problem with the relaxation of the old class system code. Ha ha, take that bitch! Nick was pretty cool, too.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 4 After a mostly low-key episode, things ended with a bang. I have to assume it is the dastardly Brooks who snatched her. So I guess Noah will save her, thus causing Raeliana's guarded heart to go pitty-pat for him?

If I was a bookie, Brooks or the one behind him is who I'd be laying odds on. As to how the rest of it plays out, I'm less confident. I could see Raelina using her booksmarts (metafictionally that is) or the silent guard or Angelique arriving too.

Blood- wrote:
Nick was pretty cool, too

Unless he's secretly from a noble family, Nick's got cojones the size of cantaloupes.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

The end of the episode confused me. I assume that "date" scene is just a dream Raeliana is having, but it wasn't super clear. Dream or no, we are clearly getting to the part of the story where the "real" heroine of the novel - Beatrice - makes her appearance and Raeliana has stolen her man. Rael doesn't need the Duke for protection against Brooks any more so where do things go from here???
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 6
Dream or no, we are clearly getting to the part of the story where the "real" heroine of the novel - Beatrice - makes her appearance and Raeliana has stolen her man. Rael doesn't need the Duke for protection against Brooks any more so where do things go from here???

According to the original novel's plot, Beatrice met the Duke because of Raelina's death. Which means she and the Duke have no relationship to steal. On the other hand, that's not to say that there's only one person who's been isekai'd into the mess. Be kind of cool if Beatrice is some yandere who wants to know who the hell is messing with her destiny.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, to be precise, Raeliana was supposed to be murdered so that her friend Beatrice could meet the love of her life. Instead, Raeliana selfishly decided to plot and scheme just so she could live. Wow, nice "friend" ya got there, Beatrice...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 3:05 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, to be precise, Raeliana was supposed to be murdered so that her friend Beatrice could meet the love of her life. Instead, Raeliana selfishly decided to plot and scheme just so she could live. Wow, nice "friend" ya got there, Beatrice...

I thought there might be a yandere lurking around Raelina waiting to show up, but I never thought it would be you Smile

(Or maybe...I always kind of did...)
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:15 pm Reply with quote
This show isn't one of my faves, but I like it solidly enough to keep up with it week after week and root for the protagonist. We are clear that spoiler[the mystery woman who provided the cursed green emerald is about 90% likely to be Beatrice, right? If so, is Beatrice another book-migrator? Or was Beatrice a hidden malignancy beneath the surface events of the novel all along? ] I thought the interaction between the saint and his disciple was pretty amusing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

So Raeliana wants a... "dragon", eh? A big, fierce, purple... "dragon" that spits... "fire."

Heh-heh-heh, I really enjoy being immature and juvenile. I agree that the mystery woman who gave Red the emerald broach could be Beatrice but that's a bit odd in that the implication is that the brooch is not a good item to have so wouldn't that make Bea a baddy? Which I gather she was not in the novel? But since Raeliana avoided her literary fate perhaps the world of the book is trying to reassert that plotline by any means necessary? Time will tell.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:16 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
But since Raeliana avoided her literary fate perhaps the world of the book is trying to reassert that plotline by any means necessary? Time will tell.

Kind of a Final Destination thing? That would be interesting. The reason I figure Beatrice as the most likely candidate behind that emerald is (1) a lack of other candidates. This far in, we should have at least gotten a whiff of it if there was some big baddie out there, right? (2) the weird way Beatrice has only been half presented, both in the opening sequence and that little dock scene where her face was hidden and the music wasn't exactly uplifting. (3) the bit of foreshadowing where we found out that Beatrice hasn't responded to any of Raelina's letters.

That doesn't "prove" it, of course. I'm just saying, if Vegas was giving odds on this anime, that's where I'd be laying my money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2