• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuri Is My Job! (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:11 pm Reply with quote

Yuri Is My Job! (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 11 volumes, by Miman)

Demographic: Shoujo

Animation Studios:
Passione
Studio Lings

Genres: comedy, romance

Themes: workplace, yuri

Plot Summary: Hime is a high school girl who deeply cares about her image as a sweet, helpful princess but on the inside only cares about herself. Against her will, Hime gets manipulated into working as a waitress at a place that's part café, part theater, where all the waitresses pretend to be students at a fictional German all-girls boarding school.

Hime finds herself falling for another waitress at the café, who in front of the customers gives Hime love and devotion like she's never known. There's just one problem: Behind the scenes, Hime's crush hates her guts.

Air Date & Platform:
April 6, 2023 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

The show summary for this kind of cracked me up so I decided to check it out. Not bad. It's by no means a non-stop thigh-slapper, but it's really not trying to be, either. I have a feeling I'd be getting way more out of this if I had watched my Maria Watches Over Us sets, which I totally will one of these days! Can't honestly predict if this will end up being a keeper, but I'll try a few more episodes, at least.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:15 am Reply with quote
I went into this expecting comedy due to the tag and found a lot more drama than I was hoping it would have. A bit of research taught me that the source material is anything but light hearted, so I am rather on the fence on sticking with this one.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I enjoyed the show, well generally yuri being such a large part that it is literally in the name does help. Or really my favourite part of the show would probably be Hime, because a likable character built around having a false image and lying is really novel, plus just being an attention seeking gremlin is was pretty fun. Maybe wonder how likable a character like that would be in real life, but there was at least plenty that justified her as not someone who would put others down to raise herself, and her actually seeming to have a preference as friends for the girls who might otherwise be at risk of bullying. She wanted to share her facade with those she could trust.

Although I didn't really like it at the time, possibly one of the most interesting parts of the season was when we delved into the past of Kanako, who at the present was looking more obsessive/possessive Hime, and generally unhealthy. And the surprise was there the opposite relationship in the past where Kanako saw Hime as just one of the popular girls who isolated her as an outcast. Kanako more came across as a bit of a "not like other girls" girl, who probably should not cast stones in judging someone based on just her preconceived notions. Still a little confused if or how Kanako came out the arc healthier. Was it perhaps that Sumika just needed to take a step back and not just try and control the awkward kid but help her grow?

I liked Sumika, her being a gyaru as a street image was fun, as was that her work image contrasted so much. I guess that she too fit that don't judge someone based on just your preconceptions, as she could both be a gyaru and a bookworm. And I guess also an awkward kid who was maybe trying too hard in what she thought was right, but her domineering senpai image was again fun. Which probably transitions into the yuri, where it seems quite likely that most of the girls are probably gay, but either don't realise it or have some complex, but I wouldn't say ever a shameful thing that it is a girl liking a girl. not realising especially for Hime, who said that her life plan was to eventually find some rich guy as a partner, but was really quick to practically fall over the beautiful colleague, who she just had to get close to.

I do think that there are a couple loose threads of head scratches. One being Mai, who just happens to be a maybe high school girl (although probably adult), who runs a softcore lesbian themed cafe, who exaggerated an injury to get Hime to work there, and quickly to get Kanako too. It kind of feels like there should have been some sort of narrative point eventually at what her motives are, such be why she might have started the cafe in the first place, but maybe that happens in the source material but we didn't reach there. I would have also thought the seductive ex-employee might enter the current timeline, rather than being a vague source of drama in the past. It also kind of feels like maybe the series at general should have had some sort of drama around LGBT relationships not being the norm, but these girls accepting it in themselves.

My rating is going to be Good (7/10), I do think it is worth seeing, but a couple steps away from tackling the sort of queer aspects that I might have liked. I have actually read a manga that follows a sort of queer restaurant/cafe, and I much more liked that it did explore the sort of thing where it became a bit more about self discovery, and what queerness could mean beyond just being a part of a job.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1