• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in which a main character is not the most popular?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:05 pm Reply with quote
For another broader application (similar to most harem MC's not being popular) I would argue most, or at least a large majority, of shonen shows have MC's that are not the most popular in their own shows. More times than not one, or more, of the more prominent side characters seem to be higher on the popularity scale. Is Ichigo the most popular character in Bleach? How about Naruto in Naruto/Boruto? Deku in MHA? Asta in Black Clover? Luffy in One Piece? Goku in DBZ? That's just a few.

In my opinion in each of those shows 1 or 2 of the supporting cast are more popular. They're not the most powerful obviously, and the MC's generally get the better character progression. In terms of popularity though....not so much. I'd be willing to give it to Luffy, but I still would say personally I think Zoro beats him out a bit in popularity.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:02 am Reply with quote
Black Lagoon is a good candidate. I'm fairly sure that Revy is more popular than Rock. I suspect that even Dutch is more popular. Rock is there to provide an outsiders view of what is going on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2