• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reign of the Seven Spellblades (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking the same thing about that person in the last shot of episode 4. Is she some sort of psycho or a militant monster lover? It certainly was on purpose that the Garuda was set loose. Why else would someone write a message above it that Oliver read. Now I see one of the reasons that the school has a 80% survivability rate. That was quite a body count.

Yes, Chela and Oliver need to start teaching combat sword and magic to their friends. It looks like they are going need all 6 of them working together to survive these next 7 years.

Last edited by Gisan Otaku on Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:22 am Reply with quote
Yeah, given how the episode went I think all of them, especially their friends who did not fight need to power up as fast as they can. That 80% survival rate is there for a reason and I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be a bit worse for their class when all is over. Crazy magicians, faction conflicts, cloak and dagger stuff and who nows what else, that school really is no joke. Props for Andrew that he found some courage in the end, that is more than I can say for all the others who went from spectators to victims who could do nothing but panic and try to run.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Hey everybody, know what my supah clever name for this show is? Pain of the Seven SMELLblades... HAW-HAW-HAW!!! Get it? Get it?? Didja see what I did there? SMELLblades! *wipes away tear of riotous laughter* Man, I don't know how I just continue spinning comedy gold like that.

Anyhoo, good eppie. You don't often see characters fighting an OP rooster, but it worked for me. And it was highly satisfying seeing all those douchenozzles get shredded before Nanao choked, er, I mean, decapitated the chicken. As for the identity of Hoodie at the end... um, doesn't that spy girl who is associated with Oliver also wear a hooded get up?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 4

Hey everybody, know what my supah clever name for this show is? Pain of the Seven SMELLblades... HAW-HAW-HAW!!! Get it? Get it?? Didja see what I did there? SMELLblades!

You can't see it or hear it, but I'm trying to applaud by making artificial farts with my armpits.
Cool

(It's just that typing this keeps getting in the way...)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald, your fervent appreciation for my comedic genius has been noted and, confidentially, your chances of getting one of those coveted Blood- "Season's Greetings" posts in the future have increased reasonably substantially.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Good lord, I am sure that getting your degree from the Kimberly school of magic will set you up for life, but it is no easy place to be. Forget the crazy magicians skulking about in the labyrinth or faction conflicts, the lessons are deadly enough. Be it messing around with innards or trying to craft a potion, both can get you injured and the teachers do not care at all. Heck, given the rumors about the alchemy teacher he might ruin your future too.

On the positive side, Nanao and Oliver seem to have become more popular (mostly Nanao) and there even seems to be some romance happening. As for the troll situation, it ended up being less of a deliberate assassination on Katie and more of a dumb accident and prank combined. The villain behind the whole thing is a hypocrite though, trying to achieve equal rights for demihumans by doing cruel and painful experiments on them seems... like a creative way to go about it.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:16 pm Reply with quote
What I got from this is:

- What happens in the labyrinth, stays in the labyrinth

- Trying to protect Katie in this school is going to be like trying to protect Bambi in the middle of the wolf enclosure of the zoo.

- When that Snapes-alike teacher (Grenville?) told Oliver to choose better friends, he seemed to be referring to lack of pedigree. I get that from the fact that he started off by indicating that Oliver's noble status was only minimally acceptable. Instead of purebloods and mugbloods, it looks like the discrimination in this school is primarily between nobles and commoners.

Not sure what was up with Oliver's cousin.

Yup, this show is kicking some astrology class as far as I'm concerned....
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:12 am Reply with quote
Here are my thoughts on episode 5:

A. This potions professor sounds like a real a__hole. Between his attitude toward his students "....to put in terms your tiny brains can understand....", and, according to Mr. Andrews, his theft of students research, I hope this guy is not long for this world. Maybe one of the students he rips off will take their revenge on him; for it seems that the headmistress of this academy doesn't care about anyone dying.

B. Is it just me or does trying to get semi-humans to speak and think remind you of The Planets of the Apes. We all know how that experiment turned out. To quote Blue Oyster Cult "History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men."

C. If Miss Miligan wants to find out how Katie got the troll to talk, I think she is incapable of understanding that it was Katie's acts of kindness towards the troll to finally get it to trust someone.

D. Miss Sherwood is the definitive definition of "kissing cousin". There has got to be some background on that issue.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Well now, episode 6 sure was interesting in many ways. Going into it I was expecting the fight with snake eye lady to take most of the episode. It in fact did not due to Oliver using some handy spellwork and Nanao being godlike with her sword. She was taken done pretty easily and the whole situation was neatly resolved. We then ended up with Oliver following the potions teacher and I was not sure what to expect, a future choosing spellblade, revenge plot and cult inside the school were certainly not it though. I love the revelation, it adds a whole lot more spice and possibilities to the already dangerous mix.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow, what an info dump. We find out there now is a seventh spellblade, Oliver's true reason for going to Kimberly Academy and he has a small army at his command. I figured the alchemy teacher would get his comeuppance, but I didn't think it would be so quick. Good riddance.
So, Oliver has a hit list of most of the teachers we have seen so far. I wonder how he is going to keep this secret from his friends or is he going to recruit them in to his scheme? Things just got more interesting.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:13 am Reply with quote
Y'know, with the dramatic orchestral music backgrounds and the (in my opinion) above average animation, sometimes I feel like I should be watching this anime with a bag of popcorn and a cherry slushy.

I never expected Oliver's mission to be this big or this dark either. I wonder if he really is from a noble family, or if that's some kind of counterfeit id?.

I kind of thought the dynamic was going to be Oliver pulling the samurai back from darkness. But now it looks like that's a complete 180.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, episode 7 was another interesting one, though in a very different way than last week. This week they showed the dual nature of the school very well. There were magical events like the broom introduction and the group meeting later on that made for a very interesting and happy setting. On the other hand, we had the evil teacher meeting and a lesson from mr insane lolly pop.

Speaking of dual nature, Pete his condition is something I did not expect and the later group meeting made clear that there are plenty of magical gender conditions that exist in their world. As expected, reading the comments about this episode showed some rather mixed opinions on the whole thing. I think that in a world with magic it makes sense that magic can influence things like gender.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:35 am Reply with quote
There had been a few things of interest with the show, but after episode 7 I had to comment.

We got the reveal that apparently Pete is magically sex fluid, and although there needs to be a key distinction between the difference sex and gender, I would say it would probably analogous to real world genderfluid, if not intersex. As a non-binary genderfluid person myself, it is character traits that I can connect with, and honestly in most main stream fiction is pretty rare. A thing is that I am not actually that surprised, as I had already thought that Pete was androgynous, and was actually thinking we would get an AFAB reveal, and was more afraid we would have him put into the surprise girl corner where he would just be designated girl from now on.

At the very least, that meetup, I am pretty sure was essentially something like LGBT meet-up, which again is actually pretty progressive to appear in an anime. It is actually big surprise, with Oliver acting as an ally, and didn't feel like anything dehumanising these I would say hinted as LGBT characters. Only a couple even looked androgynous, and then we had a bits like mention of sexual identity and Oliver asking if Pete would want their own room with no judgement. In a wider meta sense, one thought I have had was that this series has felt very Harry Potter inspired, and in this episode its treatment of sex and gender shockingly different from Rowling and the drama attached to that.

I read the Crunchyroll comments, and there seems to be a lot of upset transphobic people, which on one side makes me happy that they are so upset, but also sad that there does seem to be so many. I guess that is why things like this are so important in the first place.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:32 am Reply with quote
Just when you thought everything had been revealed, you get more.
First off, when I was in school I heard of students getting chewed out for interrupting an instructors meeting, but actually getting chewed up and eaten, that's really harsh. It takes 4 months for the headmistress to start to be concerned about a missing teacher, what kind of world is this? What will be their reaction should Oliver succeed in killing another person on his list?

Secondly, I am guessing that when the partner of a broom dies it returns to its "roost". It is interesting that Nanao now has the same broom as Oliver's mom. Sounds like a big foreshadowing.

Literally at last, that final scene. It looks like our group of friends has someone watching them that doesn't like how chummy they are with each other. With his attitude, he probably doesn't have any friends and is jealous and uses anger and violence to express it.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Lots of combat this week, seems like we are getting a tournament of sorts. I like the development, since it will give characters the opportunity to shine and improve themselves. Kimberley is a rather dangerous place and being weak in combat is probably not a good idea in such an environment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3