• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Images don't load, buttons don't work, et al.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:52 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering if you tweaked something yesterday that has caused half the site to stop working for me. Everything was fine in the morning when I went to bed, but when I came back in the evening, nothing much works anymore.

1) The page is stretched beyond the width of the window and all of the article teasers are in one long single column on the right side of the page rather than in rows below the forum and articles.

2) No images load, either on the teasers or within articles or reviews.

3) I thought I'd try resetting the skin, but none of the buttons on the menu bar work, so I can't get to the page where I'd do that.

4) Can't rate episodes on their review page because the widget doesn't work.

5) Can't report problem with the page because that button doesn't work.

6) Even the Newsletter solicitation doesn't load, which, since it has never honored the "Never remind me" option for more than an hour, is kinda nice, but it's just one more thing that's not working as normal. Smile

I tried quitting Firefox but that hasn't helped. Fwiw, normally I see well over 100 cookies the site has dropped, but now there are only 8 and 13 on the ANN and www.ANN sites that show up in my list.

Btw, I also noticed that a semi-related previous discussion from a few months ago about how the pages appear for me has apparently been removed. Dunno why. I was going to add that I was no longer having those issues and the site had been behaving itself wonderfully well for awhile, but that post disappeared and then this happened.

Here is a screenshot of the page (I zoomed out to get it to fit horizontally but I can't read the text without the zoom) to give you an idea. In the column on the right there are 15 more items you can't see (as you can guess by the size of the slider in the scroll bar), and only white space below the gray area down to the copyright line.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Looks like everything is back to normal today! Thanks for doing whatever you did. Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Huh, that didn't last long. Back to all the problems I listed in the OP. :/
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:25 am Reply with quote
This looks like general javascript failure. What happens if none of the javascript in the page can load. But I can't reproduce it at all, on any server. Do you have a browser extension like noscript? Does this still happen if you open the page in a new private/incognito window?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:51 pm Reply with quote
It still happens in a private window. I think the only thing like NoScript (which I don't have) is AdBlock, because the site is nearly unusable for me without it. I just now tried turning it off, but that only made things worse with the additional banners. Still no images loading, etc.

I'd be inclined to think it's on my end, but it was fine on Sat, and then broke again on Sun, and I didn't change anything after I first posted. I didn't even quit Firefox during that time, just slept the computer when I slept.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Just to throw in some extra sample data, I'm using Firefox on Windows and Mac, while running NoScript and AdBlock Plus.

I actually leave ABP off for this site (otherwise some things won't load) and only allowed a couple of scripts (ANN's main site, and Cloudflare), but still don't get any ads, whatsoever (I highly recommend NoScript!).

I've tried browsing while logged out, since I have Subscriber status as a Moderator. But everything seems to still operate normally whether or not I'm logged in.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:13 pm Reply with quote
So after posting, I slept all afternoon and so did my computer. And it's back to normal now. I guess it's just sleepy? Seriously, I'm baffled.

Back when I was having the issue with the banner ads suddenly intruding all over my screen (I wish that post was still there because I can't recall how long ago it was, but surely < 6 months? Time flies though...), the fix seemed to be to just change the skin to 5.0. Blue. Except every few days it would revert back - apparently whenever a new ad campaign started. For the last month or so it's stopped doing that and everything was running smoothly like it was before that started. So I'm wondering if there's something in an ad that's triggering this, since it comes and goes?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Gina, is this the old one?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:28 am Reply with quote
Yes, thank you! I see it's in Feedback for some reason, rather than Bugs. My bad. Very Happy

I had forgotten that that was also a weirdly intermittent thing, and also seemingly related to certain ads.

Anyway, normalcy is holding for now. I'll report back if it breaks again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Update 1 11:30 pm: I put the computer to sleep to go have supper, and it's broken again. Fwiw, the banner skin has changed from (gah, already forgot Smile) whatever it was to Spiderman during that time.

Update 2 6/21 Site still broken today, but I notice that after I quite Firefox and rebooted that there are no cookies for www.animenewsnetwork.com, although animenewsnetwork.com has 7 at the moment. I don't know what the difference between them is, but usually the www listing has dozens, while the plain one usually has a dozen or fewer. But it seems that when starting fresh while in broken mode, the www isn't reloading or whatever it is that creates that cache of cookies.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Update 3 7/4: I upgraded my browser a bit (only so far I can go unless I buy a new computer) and that seems to have solved the issue. Still don't understand why sometimes it was fine and sometimes it was broken, and only a js issue on this site. Oh well, at least I can see images and rate things again. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1