• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sweet Reincarnation (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
GINA, DON'T ENCOURAGE HIM!!!

Dammit, you know I'm a blossom struggling to climb upward toward sunlight and warmth...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:08 am Reply with quote
This week we had more noble plots and action. Things seemed a bit hairy for a moment, but it looks like help is on the way. Kudos to Pas for his quick thinking and making creative use of his magic. I do have to complain once more about the whole baking premise though. Besides having made one apple/bonka pie this has devolved into a pretty typical isekai.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:19 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
I do have to complain once more about the whole baking premise though. Besides having made one apple/bonka pie this has devolved into a pretty typical isekai.

Well. Pas hasn't joined an adventurer's guild, doesn't have a harem going (at least not yet), doesn't hunt monsters for a living, and there doesn't seem to be a demon king or queen, so it may have devolved into a pretty typical isekai, but not the most typical isekai. But yeah, I know what you're saying about the baking thing. These constant forced references where Pas compares some situation or other to baking principles just seem lame.

Since the territory needs money, it feels like it would have been a much more natural fit for Pas to use his knowledge to create a steady stream of marketable, edible goods or franchises than this weird scheme that requires them to travel around trying to be pseudo pimps using magic portraits.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:06 pm Reply with quote
The wedding plot has been dealt with and I like how the episode showed that Pas can be very cunning regarding certain things, yet very unprepared for others. They may now have plenty of money to improve their region, but Pas is now also one fiancee richer. We also got some cookies near the end which kind of felt like the show suddenly remembered that this anime was supposed to be about baking. Speaking of, the title of next week's episode suggests activities related to baking happening....but I am not buying it just yet.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:39 am Reply with quote
Well, we are a step closer to making sweets I suppose. With the additions of reservoirs and trees getting nectar will become possible, which will help with the honey situation. That said, it seems like the actual baking will be a very long term result. Meanwhile there is more political nonsense going on with an invitation for a teaparty that is at all not a trap.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:37 am Reply with quote
This anime is an example of why we need less anime.

"Oh a confections chef gets reincarnated into a fantasy world. So is it going to be like a Candy Land but with the powers and magic being all candy based?"

nope: it's just a fantasy setting with the kid who knows how to bake amazing sweets....

Like, if this show wants our lead to do nothing but bake sweets, but has to deal with by-the-numbers fantasy politics and mediocre bullshit, then why not have them be in a bakery in a kingdom and go on baking competitions?

Yeah yeah judge the show on what it is and not what you want it to be, but when you have an idea like this and don't run with it since they just wanted to stand out in the most basic of ways, then isekai authors need to actually go the extra mile and craft something distinct. We just have a fantasy series with our lead who knows how to cook. It's not fun or creative. It's just basic fantasy anime crap.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:32 am Reply with quote
@camseyeview140 - I have examined your post carefully, searching for something I could disagree with... and failed utterly. I'm not quite at the point where I'm calling for a UN resolution to prohibit the production of all isekai shows with niche premises unless they actually do something with the niche premise... but I'm close.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Like, we shouldn't technically police what artists should and shouldn't make, but after so many isekai anime don't do anything different or don't bother to go the distance, then there needs to be some kind of rule that they have to do something or else it's a waste of time, resources and everything in between.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:43 am Reply with quote
There was some baking and candy/cookies in the past two episodes. That said, it is once again a premise that is only mentioned in most episodes while being ignored 95% of the time. In actuality the series has been about dealing with bandits, nobles and probably a war from the looks of things. I would have liked to see some more in depth baking and why not have Pas use candy magic or something to stay on brand.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:29 am Reply with quote
It should have been Candyland the isekai. Not, mediocre fantasy with hints of baking.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah, you could make something like candy magic very interesting. Have him turn his pastries into monsters or something, or have him go Majin Buu on people and turn them into snacks.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:03 am Reply with quote
Good lord, tonight is already the final episode of this one, time can go crazy fast.

Edit:
And that was the final episode, we had the aftermath of the war/skirmish and getting some much needed livestock and other items to bake with. The final episode had the most baking related content and gave a nice summary of how the Morteln territory will continue to expand in the future.

Overall the series was decent, but I would not go any higher than that. Despite the baking premise, the series was mostly about dealing with nobles and bandits. There were several episodes in a row where the baking was only involved in a jokey fashion. The story was entertaining yet nothing special and the same can be said about the animation, though all the blank faces do stand out. Like I said, decent but nothing special.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I noticed this episode that the region's language is apparently Latin, but I guess the animators couldn't figure out the Latin equivalent for "overslept" so they just threw that in as is. Very Happy

I'm just happy he got his goats and could finally make cheesecake. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2